Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2012 Recruiting Profiles

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #571
adrock
Elite Member

adrock has a spectacular aura aboutadrock has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodie View Post
Could Obekpa still go to St Johns or are they all out of scholarships?
Best user name ever
Old 04-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #572
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
My guess is Christopher Obekpa is a Bearcat. That is by far the majority opinion.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #573
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodie View Post
Could Obekpa still go to St Johns or are they all out of scholarships?
I guess the best way to look at it is like this: If a top player decides they want to go to any school, the coach will find a way to make a spot for him.

Based on the recent events, I think it is safe to say that the likelihood he goes to St. Johns has decreased but nothing is ever done until the ink has dried on the paperwork.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #574
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Chad, Just to be clear. Your info is that Oregon was no longer in the running?

Any news on Ennis. Our we making up any ground on Nova? thanks
My info is that Oregon took themselves out of the running...
Old 04-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #575
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
My info is that Oregon took themselves out of the running...
The Obekpa recruiting saga has all the earmarks of AAU coaches trying to steer a player to a school in return for monetary gain. If Oregon truly took themselves out, I would not be surprised if it has something to do with Obekpa playing for a Reebok AAU team this weekend (New Heights). Oregon is of course a Nike school, and is awash in Nike money. I would recommend George Dohrmann's book 'Play Your Hearts Out', which deals with the sleazy aspect of recruiting, especially the influence that AAU coaches have on the decision making process. These coaches try and send their players to a school sponsered by the same shoe company that sponsers their AAU team, and in return get more money from the shoe company which lines their pockets. Obekpa has been recruited for long enough that he should be able to make a decision by now. His 'handlers' are likely looking for something in return to secure his committment.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #576
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbuc88 View Post
The Obekpa recruiting saga has all the earmarks of AAU coaches trying to steer a player to a school in return for monetary gain. If Oregon truly took themselves out, I would not be surprised if it has something to do with Obekpa playing for a Reebok AAU team this weekend (New Heights). Oregon is of course a Nike school, and is awash in Nike money. I would recommend George Dohrmann's book 'Play Your Hearts Out', which deals with the sleazy aspect of recruiting, especially the influence that AAU coaches have on the decision making process. These coaches try and send their players to a school sponsered by the same shoe company that sponsers their AAU team, and in return get more money from the shoe company which lines their pockets. Obekpa has been recruited for long enough that he should be able to make a decision by now. His 'handlers' are likely looking for something in return to secure his committment.
i was under the impression new heights was adidas
Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #577
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3113 View Post
Correct
Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #578
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3113 View Post
My bad. Adidas, not Reebok. BTW, Adidas owns Reebok, so really no difference. My point is that the shoe companies, and as their extension the affiliated AAU teams and their coaches, dictate where the top players will matriculate. It is no cooincidence that Shabaaz Muhammed picked UCLA over UK or Duke, as UCLA is an Adidas school while the other 2 are Nike schools. His AAU team is a Adidas affiliated program. UC is of course an Adidas school, while SJU and Oregon are Nike schools. This is of course in UC's favor as New Heights is an Adidas team. But it begs the question: Who is making him take this long to decide where to play his college ball? And what is in it for them?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #579
Eternal E
Banned

Eternal E is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbuc88 View Post
My bad. Adidas, not Reebok. BTW, Adidas owns Reebok, so really no difference. My point is that the shoe companies, and as their extension the affiliated AAU teams and their coaches, dictate where the top players will matriculate. It is no cooincidence that Shabaaz Muhammed picked UCLA over UK or Duke, as UCLA is an Adidas school while the other 2 are Nike schools. His AAU team is a Adidas affiliated program. UC is of course an Adidas school, while SJU and Oregon are Nike schools. This is of course in UC's favor as New Heights is an Adidas team. But it begs the question: Who is making him take this long to decide where to play his college ball? And what is in it for them?
Marquis Teague signing with Kentucky right after his brother signed a deal with Nike-Lebron's is the most blatant and obvious evidence of this tactic.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #580
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
No change on the Chris Obekpa front

The adidas VIP Exclusive Run meant another chance to watch New Heights, featuring 2012 big man Chris Obekpa. Still in need of refinement on the offensive end of the floor, Obekpa displayed his game-changing ability on the defensive end of the floor. He runs the floor well and hits the glass, blocking multiple shots in the painted area.

As for his recruitment the usual suspects remain, including Cincinnati (who had Mick Cronin watching Obekpa’s every move all weekend), DePaul, Providence and Connecticut according to his coach. Nothing has changed in regards to plans to visit Oregon in the near future, and a final decision won’t come until sometime in May.

UConn‘s mass exodus is something they’ll keep tabs on as well. While there is the positive of immediate playing time in Storrs, there’s also the clear concern with regards to the Huskies’ postseason ban in 2013.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012...pdates-galore/
Closed Thread