Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2012 Recruiting Profiles

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #1111
bearcatrunner

bearcatrunner is on a distinguished road
Wow lots of drama. I am guessing going back and reading the last 15 forum pages will be a waste of my time. Did I miss anything important besides it sounds like this kid might have grades issues.

I agree with what someone else said that this kid is shooting himself in the foot. Honestly, it will take half a season to a full season for this kid to get through the NCAA clearinghouse if this rumor is true. Now sure he would get to practice with the team(probably) and should only get better. However, the feeling that I get from this kid is he would look to bolt the following year.

I'm just getting bad mojo vibes with this kid.

For the record my prediction got all messed up when all of these NYC people started showing up and increasing the page count. If your going to come to another teams forum show some class and don't start arguments. Go back and look at 5 years ago and what a different feel this forum had when our team was left for dead. I think this is a pretty honest/realistic group with a few knucleheads thrown in. I would have a lot more respect for you guys if you would just defend your team and not try to tear ours down. I actually learned something about St. Johns in the few messages I allowed myself to read. Sounds like you guys have a nice future. My only worry for you is that Lavin gives me the same impression I got from Huggins. This league is full of great coaches and I am proud to say that I think ours belongs up there with all of the others. He is young and still has a lot to prove but he is doing an awesome job on and off the court with this team and players.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #1112
Doogle

Doogle will become famous soon enough
I'd like to address something that was brought up earlier: Mick's handling of the brawl. Have never understood the furor by some over UC's "lenient" handling of the incident, when as far as I can tell Yancy received one of the largest, if not THE largest suspension, a college athlete has ever received for a punch.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...nts-for-fights

Feel free to look up Brittney Griner's on court haymaker, for which she received the 1-game NCAA penalty and 1 game from Baylor coach Kim Mulkey.

The most disgusting, egregious punch I've ever heard of was Kermit Washington cold-cocking Rudy Tomjanovich when Rudy tried to run in and break up a fight. Kermit got 26 games. I realize this was the NBA, but 26 games is 1/3 of an NBA season. Yancy got roughly 1/5 of his regular season. Tomjanovich's face was detached from his skull and he could literally taste his spinal fluid, for pete's sake. His playing career was basically over.

Not only did Mick and the Administration do the right thing, but they actually SET A PRECEDENT by roughly tripling the average suspension for a fight or a punch. I'd say that's doing "the right thing" under any circumstance.

That said, the Obekpa thing underscores my problem with following the recruiting process - it's a volatile, unsavory process that brings out the worst in just about everyone - programs, players, AAU coaches, parents...and fans. Obekpa could choose St. John's for any number of reasons, or UC. Calipari could swoop in with an offer and away he goes. I'm not sure what it says about Obekpa's character that he can't seem to make up his mind or is letting intermediaries do his thinking for him, if anything. What I do know is that we have a roster full of good guys who want to be at Cincinnati, and as an Alum and fan I will proudly support our roster as-is. If Obekpa or anyone else wants to be a part of it, fine. If not, fine. UC is a historical top-15 program, and as of the last 2 years a program back on the rise, and we should hold ourselves up as such and not demean ourselves as to whine and bicker over the services of one 18 year old kid who has not, and may never, wear a college uniform.

Good luck to Obekpa and St. John's. I'll stick with the Bearcats.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #1113
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
I think people will point to LaGarret Blount of Oregon who punched a Boise player for talking trash.

I can see the reason for the comparison but not really. In Yancy's situation one of his players was blindsided with a shove and multiple punches were thrown and then yancy throws one and connects. Blount threw a punch and when no one else was. He threw a punch for someone talking. Yancys was during a brawl.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #1114
adrock
Elite Member

adrock has a spectacular aura aboutadrock has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
I'd like to address something that was brought up earlier: Mick's handling of the brawl. Have never understood the furor by some over UC's "lenient" handling of the incident, when as far as I can tell Yancy received one of the largest, if not THE largest suspension, a college athlete has ever received for a punch.

Feel free to look up Brittney Griner's on court haymaker, for which she received the 1-game NCAA penalty and 1 game from Baylor coach Kim Mulkey.

The most disgusting, egregious punch I've ever heard of was Kermit Washington cold-cocking Rudy Tomjanovich when Rudy tried to run in and break up a fight. Kermit got 26 games. I realize this was the NBA, but 26 games is 1/3 of an NBA season. Yancy got roughly 1/5 of his regular season. Tomjanovich's face was detached from his skull and he could literally taste his spinal fluid, for pete's sake. His playing career was basically over.

Not only did Mick and the Administration do the right thing, but they actually SET A PRECEDENT by roughly tripling the average suspension for a fight or a punch. I'd say that's doing "the right thing" under any circumstance.

That said, the Obekpa thing underscores my problem with following the recruiting process - it's a volatile, unsavory process that brings out the worst in just about everyone - programs, players, AAU coaches, parents...and fans. Obekpa could choose St. John's for any number of reasons, or UC. Calipari could swoop in with an offer and away he goes. I'm not sure what it says about Obekpa's character that he can't seem to make up his mind or is letting intermediaries do his thinking for him, if anything. What I do know is that we have a roster full of good guys who want to be at Cincinnati, and as an Alum and fan I will proudly support our roster as-is. If Obekpa or anyone else wants to be a part of it, fine. If not, fine. UC is a historical top-15 program, and as of the last 2 years a program back on the rise, and we should hold ourselves up as such and not demean ourselves as to whine and bicker over the services of one 18 year old kid who has not, and may never, wear a college uniform.

I'd rep you 1000 times if I could.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #1115
Bearcat91

Bearcat91 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I agree with everything you said. I would much rather have someone on the team that wants to be here and loves it at UC(i.e. Sean Kilpatrick) than someone whose handlers think this is the best opportunity for him to go pro. Even If he does commit to UC he will have to do amazing things while playing here for people to forget about this recruiting fiasco. If he turns out to be an average player then everyone will say that it wasnt worth it.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #1116
Doogle

Doogle will become famous soon enough
I go back and forth on the "one and done" issue. Of course you'd take a one-year player if he's a game changer aka Anthony Davis. We've had a few come in ourselves (Wingfield, DJ, etc) that made a huge impact as frosh on the basketball court.

But really, there's more satisfaction and pride to be had in kids that come in, stay 4 years, earn a degree and develop on and off the court. SK, Cash, etc. I remember guys like Jackson Julson who advanced light years over the course of 3 or 4 years. Conversely, those guys come back and give to the program, develop life long relationships with a school and coach they gave a significant amount of their time to.

I feel a tremendous amount of loyalty and respect to guys like John Williamson, Deonta Vaughn, and Jamal Warren who, while not all 4 year players, gave their heart and soul to the program while they were here and built a foundation that will last.

So, if a player like Obekpa simply wants to make college a pit stop on his way to professional riches, I won't cry if he chooses to play elsewhere. Blink, and he'll be gone anyway.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #1117
NYC baller

NYC baller is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I go back and forth on the "one and done" issue. Of course you'd take a one-year player if he's a game changer aka Anthony Davis. We've had a few come in ourselves (Wingfield, DJ, etc) that made a huge impact as frosh on the basketball court.

But really, there's more satisfaction and pride to be had in kids that come in, stay 4 years, earn a degree and develop on and off the court. SK, Cash, etc. I remember guys like Jackson Julson who advanced light years over the course of 3 or 4 years. Conversely, those guys come back and give to the program, develop life long relationships with a school and coach they gave a significant amount of their time to.

I feel a tremendous amount of loyalty and respect to guys like John Williamson, Deonta Vaughn, and Jamal Warren who, while not all 4 year players, gave their heart and soul to the program while they were here and built a foundation that will last.

So, if a player like Obekpa simply wants to make college a pit stop on his way to professional riches, I won't cry if he chooses to play elsewhere. Blink, and he'll be gone anyway.
You got a better chance at growing breasts then Obekpa being one and done .
Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #1118
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat91 View Post
I agree with everything you said. I would much rather have someone on the team that wants to be here and loves it at UC(i.e. Sean Kilpatrick) than someone whose handlers think this is the best opportunity for him to go pro. Even If he does commit to UC he will have to do amazing things while playing here for people to forget about this recruiting fiasco. If he turns out to be an average player then everyone will say that it wasnt worth it.
The vast majority of UC fans probably have no idea who Obekpa is. If he commits here I think all would be well. I also don't think either school will provide a quick route to the NBA. He is a 6'8" center. He doesn't have PF skills, he barely has center skills right now, at least offensively.

Also, and no offense, but I disagree with the whole "wants to be here" sentiment. If a player commits to UC, he "wants" to be there. Of course SK loves it at UC but that doesn't necessarily mean it was his first choice of schools either. If Syracuse would have offered him, he may very well have chosen them. If Obekpa choose UC I would take that as him wanting to be here, even if he wasn't 100% sold initially. Eric Hicks wasn't 100% sure he wanted to be at UC and that was even after he attended UC.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #1119
Bearcat91

Bearcat91 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
The vast majority of UC fans probably have no idea who Obekpa is. If he commits here I think all would be well. I also don't think either school will provide a quick route to the NBA. He is a 6'8" center. He doesn't have PF skills, he barely has center skills right now, at least offensively.

Also, and no offense, but I disagree with the whole "wants to be here" sentiment. If a player commits to UC, he "wants" to be there. Of course SK loves it at UC but that doesn't necessarily mean it was his first choice of schools either. If Syracuse would have offered him, he may very well have chosen them. If Obekpa choose UC I would take that as him wanting to be here, even if he wasn't 100% sold initially. Eric Hicks wasn't 100% sure he wanted to be at UC and that was even after he attended UC.
I can see where you are coming from but to me if Obekpa does end up here I will still think that his handlers ultimately decided that UC would be best for him. I am hoping that I am wrong and that he does choose UC because he actually wants to play here and doesnt try the one and done route. Like you said, he doesnt have PF skills and a lot of times in the NBA a 6'8" person can also be a SF which would even be more difficult for him(almost impossible I should say)
Old 06-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #1120
mplebanon
Elite Member

mplebanon is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Very good post. Really like the way you strongly backed up Mick's suspending of players from the brawl. The rest of the country only thinks of Yancy hitting Frease. What they don't realize is how much hate there is between Xavier and UC, mostly the fans. And if you lived here, you'd know that Xavier has let their fans at games get away with stuff that most colleges would never allow. And it came home to roost at the Shootout. In my opinion, the brawl peaked when Yancy hit Frease. But the entire game the Xavier players and fans fanned the flames of the fire, and then they taunted and finally pulled a UC played to the floor which ignited the entire thing. Not to mention UC's players were not surrounded by UC fans. They were in a hostile environment/situation. But again, the rest of the country did not see any of this and simply chalked it up to the 90's/Huggs Bearcats reputation of being thugs, which these guys aren't. Things have been different under Mick.

As for Obekpa, if he chooses UC then fine. Sure, it's been a hard decision and a journey for the kid to make a choice. But it's been a rollercoaster ride for the fans too. And now the poor grades thing and the possibly bolting early for the NBA thing (even though he wouldn't be ready), all kind of leave a bad taste in my mouth. Again, if he chooses UC, that's great. But a month ago, my excitement regarding him was at a much higher level.

St. Johns, to me, is turning into Kentucky-lite. They're getting some good players, but very few great ones. And bolting early looks like it's going to become a norm there too, but without the championships.
Closed Thread