Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #151
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Vogt not getting exploited nearly as much helps a ton.

When he is around the rim, it helps him get 5 blocks. We make nothing easy at home

most teams we'll face in conference just don't have 5's that can shoot like the mid major OOC teams. that was always going to be the case.

i was surprised to see he was able to protect the rim vs houston's quickness, even when he was already by the rim. he did a great job of blocking shots without fouling.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:00 PM   #152
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
most teams we'll face in conference just don't have 5's that can shoot like the mid major OOC teams. that was always going to be the case.

i was surprised to see he was able to protect the rim vs houston's quickness, even when he was already by the rim. he did a great job of blocking shots without fouling.

I think we finally learned to funnel guys into him.

He doesn’t need to be very close to block shots. Just need our guards to lead their man to him and have him go after the ball and still not get within two feet of the shooter.

I think he’s also getting better at moving his feet. He was isolated on to mate Hinton at one point and forces him to pass the ball.

What I like about Vogt is he is probably the most coach able player we’ve ever had at UC.

He takes in critiques and makes the changes.

He’s grown as a defender and rebounder a great deal in just 21 games

My only wish is that we had him for longer
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #153
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Wonder if any bb recruits were in attendance? That atmosphere could help win some guys over.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #154
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here are team efficiencies by month. such a huge jump. wtf tulsa?
That jump in January is in large part moving Jarron to point but we are getting some improvements from certain bench players and Keith and Tre have cut way down on the 2pt jumpers lately. Our D has been getting better and better. Just hope it didn’t happen too late
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #155
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
That jump in January is in large part moving Jarron to point but we are getting some improvements from certain bench players and Keith and Tre have cut way down on the 2pt jumpers lately. Our D has been getting better and better. Just hope it didn’t happen too late
It seems like we've also cut down on silly turnovers, especially those from bench players. Our TO's are more from trying to do too much, rather than just giving the ball away for no reason.

Jarron at the point (and his overall improved play in conference) is the biggest difference. Diarra has also made quite an improvement (he still leads us in ORTG in conference). Tre/Keith have also improvements, mostly by knowing their role and not trying to do too much. Vogt has improved defensively and gradually is learning to deal with more athletic bigs.

The 5 players listen above can generally relied upon on both ends on the court to know their role, play within it and provide quality minutes.

We could use improvement from McNeal, MAW, Harvey and/or Jaevin. They each have lacked on one side of the court or the other, but Brannen can mix and match them to give us some minutes. If Harvey can continue to play like he last night though, he will be separating himself from the pack.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #156
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
It seems like we've also cut down on silly turnovers, especially those from bench players. Our TO's are more from trying to do too much, rather than just giving the ball away for no reason.

Jarron at the point (and his overall improved play in conference) is the biggest difference. Diarra has also made quite an improvement (he still leads us in ORTG in conference). Tre/Keith have also improvements, mostly by knowing their role and not trying to do too much. Vogt has improved defensively and gradually is learning to deal with more athletic bigs.

The 5 players listen above can generally relied upon on both ends on the court to know their role, play within it and provide quality minutes.

We could use improvement from McNeal, MAW, Harvey and/or Jaevin. They each have lacked on one side of the court or the other, but Brannen can mix and match them to give us some minutes. If Harvey can continue to play like he last night though, he will be separating himself from the pack.
As far as turnovers, I think brannen has taken the ball out of everyone’s hands except Jarrons. We use to see everyone having to make decisions, now it’s just Jarron, he realized most of them couldn’t do it.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #157
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

Not only have we cut down on turnovers but empty possessions from ill advised shots as well. Diara and Harvey were the two guys on the bench besides Jaevin that could have the biggest impact so its good to see them get going
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:52 PM   #158
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Nothing more entertaining than watching this board absolutely melt down every single game we aren’t winning by 20. You guys are always good for some laughs
All these Monday morning QBacks should go back to the beginning of this thread to see what the definition of fickleness is. A bunch of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hydes. Basically giving up then reveling in victory. What happened to "fight to the finish never give in"? Or don't you know your own fight song? I watched the game as I do every game. I may have been frustrated with their play initially, but I never got down on them. Yelled at them, yes. Yelled encouragement, yes. Got frustrated, yes- especially when Jarron couldn't make a FT. But give up? Never - until the clock runs out. When I used to live in Cincy and attend the games live, I NEVER left a game before it was over. Sounds like this thread would have been gone by halftime. But, Jon Rycek is right - nothing more entertaining than watching the board melt down when we're losing! Keep up the good work, thread contributors.
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:06 PM   #159
CaptDale
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Harvey is a smart kid. He never tries to do too much. He's okay right now not being a focal point on offense and he certainly played D like I haven't seen him before. What a game from him all things considered! His effort kept him on the court and it was good to see him realize that's his ticket to minutes. His 3 was huge as well.

Also love seeing Tre Scott working boards as usual. He had 11 and the next best was 4. 11 of 13 assists came from Tre and Jarron. They also had 4 of our 10 blocks with Vogt adding 5. Seniors filling stat sheets...Keith gave the crowd a big lift as well!
If you noticed Tre giving sage advice to Harvey after Zack committed a foul. I'm sure he was telling Zack not to put 2 hands on his man when defending. Harvey has a bad habit of doing that - but he IS learning not to.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:12 PM   #160
CaptDale
Elite Member

Quote:
I really like how he just plays. Doesn't force shots cause he feels like it like you see a lot of freshman do, and even some of our upperclassmen.

He has worked hard and just played lock down D yesterday. He's a better athlete than Keith although he doesn't look as explosive because he's so smooth. Harvey can turn his hips and recover much quicker than Keith can.
Glad to see Keith drive into the trees and dish to Vogt instead of his usual going to the rim even though he has no way to get there.