Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #551
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Heard his presser as well. He's been getting defensive like he was early in his career. Don't like this Mick, he was basically telling us all week that we were going to get blown out.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #552
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
If we lose to vcu and isu, Mick going to come out and say this team lacks talent to win big games. I hope Mick doesn't turn this season into a circus
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:22 PM   #553
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Heard his presser as well. He's been getting defensive like he was early in his career. Don't like this Mick, he was basically telling us all week that we were going to get blown out.
I gotta ask, does Mick even want to play Xavier anymore? He just doesn't seem up to the challenge.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:40 PM   #554
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I gotta ask, does Mick even want to play Xavier anymore? He just doesn't seem up to the challenge.
It's been clear he hasn't wanted to play them at all for a number of years.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:53 PM   #555
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Calling out Troy every time this team plays slow is wrong. Watch him, hell it seemed like at the start Mick would call him over and whisper in his ear before he was allowed to go up the court. Mick clearly tells him to walk it up. I can't ever get mad at a player for doing what he is instructed to do by his coach.

And we can talk about pace all we want just like last year but that is NOT why we lose. It isn't about pace. It just isn't. .89 points per possession won't win in any pace. Turning it over 25.8 % of your possessions won't win in any pace.

The offense is right back to being pathetic. It isn't about pace, it's about their reluctance to ever want to penetrate. They are content to pass it around for 20 seconds and fire up a terrible 3. We don't have a get it out of the net and push it up the court team. Just accept it. A couple times when we did get it and quickly go up the court, it was 2 of our players vs 4 xavier players all the way back. Teams just aren't going to let us get out in transition, especially with how we rebound. We crash the glass on defense with about everybody, thats not a team looking to get out and run.

The truth is you can win with a slow pace. It's been proven and teams all over the country do it. But they have efficient offenses. They don't turn the ball over all the freaking time. They don't settle for 26 3 point shots with the majority of them rushed up as the clock expires. That crap doesn't happen. They actually run offenses. Guys move around. You know, all the stuff that doesn't happen here.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:13 AM   #556
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Calling out Troy every time this team plays slow is wrong. Watch him, hell it seemed like at the start Mick would call him over and whisper in his ear before he was allowed to go up the court. Mick clearly tells him to walk it up. I can't ever get mad at a player for doing what he is instructed to do by his coach.

And we can talk about pace all we want just like last year but that is NOT why we lose. It isn't about pace. It just isn't. .89 points per possession won't win in any pace. Turning it over 25.8 % of your possessions won't win in any pace.

The offense is right back to being pathetic. It isn't about pace, it's about their reluctance to ever want to penetrate. They are content to pass it around for 20 seconds and fire up a terrible 3. We don't have a get it out of the net and push it up the court team. Just accept it. A couple times when we did get it and quickly go up the court, it was 2 of our players vs 4 xavier players all the way back. Teams just aren't going to let us get out in transition, especially with how we rebound. We crash the glass on defense with about everybody, thats not a team looking to get out and run.

The truth is you can win with a slow pace. It's been proven and teams all over the country do it. But they have efficient offenses. They don't turn the ball over all the freaking time. They don't settle for 26 3 point shots with the majority of them rushed up as the clock expires. That crap doesn't happen. They actually run offenses. Guys move around. You know, all the stuff that doesn't happen here.
0.89 points per possession can happen when you get 0 easy baskets bc you don't even try. 0.89 points per possession can also happen when you go against a set defense 100% of the time. No uptempo team ever scores 0.89 points per possession. Last year it was made very clear that this group is not a good halfcourt team offensively. So you say "we just aren't an uptempo team". That's bc sometimes our coach is too scared to even try to be. I'd rather lose trying to score with a team rather than beat our heads against the wall doing the same thing that we know for a fact doesn't work. We literally have this conversation every single year after SURPRISE we score 55 in a massive struggle. Outside of 5 quick ones at the end of the 1st and the 10 point run in the 2nd, it was even worse.

Sure some slow paced teams can win (mainly in the regular season). Wisconsin last year was one. But all 5 of their starters could stretch the floor. We know we don't have that. We know we aren't efficient in half court sets. Never have been. We're the Memphis Grizzlies of college basketball and it isn't going to work. I'd rather fight like hell trying over the course of 30+ games to try to change our identity, rather than just accepting yet another season of 50 point rock fights. Believe what you will, but it doesn't have to be this way. But it takes a commitment this coach doesn't seem to be fully bought into. Especially when you hear him calling out the "geniuses" at the first sign of trouble. Mick can keep doing this over and over again, but he's not going to keep the fans happy, or the recruits interested by playing this way.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 12-13-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:23 AM   #557
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
It's been clear he hasn't wanted to play them at all for a number of years.
Makes us look like sore losers. Mick complains all the time that we can't get games with the other local big time programs.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:45 AM   #558
IDC

IDC is on a distinguished road
I actually didnt watch this game. I would have enjoyed watching it after i knew the cats won, but sadly i dont think i can force myself to watch knowing what happened.

Looking at the box score 16 turnovers and 26 3's is all i needed to see. I guess if i dont wtch it didnt really happen
IDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:51 AM   #559
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
When you hold a very good team like Xavier to 65 points you should win the game. I don't care about defense, turnovers, rebounds, toughness or any of the other typical BS we always hear. Find a way to put the ball in the basket or you'll never have elite teams. It's as simple as that. Want to know why Xavier beats us ever year???? Because they score more points than we do. Want to know why Mack is a better coach than Mick??? Because he recruits guys who can score.

It's actually pretty f'ing simple, not sure why we always need to make it so difficult.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:00 AM   #560
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I don't think there is a master plan. I honestly think Mick tends to psych himself out before the game even starts. If it is determined that we're playing a good team, he believes the "uptempo" style is just a nonsense gimmick. And if you really want to win those games, you have to win by 50 point grinder. Bc that's how you really need to play. You have to "gut" it out and win a rock fight. That's what he knows. And unfortunately, that means you score 0 fast break points, like we did today. We went against a set defense on virtually every possession. That's really freaking hard to do. And in postgame Mick says something like "When you have 16 TO you aren't going to win, and all other talk about strategy is moot". Come again? Way to deflect the blame coach. Does 16 TO make it hard to win? Damn right it does. But each and every one of those TO is more costly when you intentionally play limited possession, glorified high school basketball. This was a problem last year...and we played this style. And the fact that they weren't putting extreme pressure on us, or pressing, just confirms AGAIN that the style we chose today is not right for our personnel. How many minutes did we waste today having Troy walk it up the floor in slow motion? How many more possessions could that have given us? Notice Xavier plays pretty much the exact opposite of us offensively, and they had no problem scoring in the mid-60s (against an elite defensive team that is taking the air out of the ball). They have no problem beating us 7 out of the last 9 times. And they have no problem getting to Sweet 16s on a regular basis. We complain about defense when Myles Davis flies down the floor and gets a layup with 26 on the shot clock after a make...but we didn't try anything like that ONCE. Hell, with 26 on the clock, we're lucky to have Troy more than 25 feet from the opposing baseline. And good thing we took the time at the beginning to "feel things out" too, bc they went up 10-1 like it was nothing. Bc it was nothing. It's not like anything crazy happened...they were just playing their normal game and we were waiting to get the ok from coach to start the game. I just can't believe I thought we were over this.
^^^^^^ This is the perfect post.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote