Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #571
Doogle

Doogle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Cincinnati had 17 assists on 21 field goals. Xavier only had 14 assists.
I thought about this too NTS. UC was 17 assists, 16 TO. X was 14 assists on what, 10 TO? Plus their transition points and points off UCs turnovers was the difference. They made UC pay for their mistakes because they looked to do so.

In the box score, Troy had 10 and 6 with only 2 turnovers, which looks nice...I dunno. Would have to go back and watch the game again which ain't gonna happen.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #572
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
I thought about this too NTS. UC was 17 assists, 16 TO. X was 14 assists on what, 10 TO? Plus their transition points and points off UCs turnovers was the difference. They made UC pay for their mistakes because they looked to do so.

In the box score, Troy had 10 and 6 with only 2 turnovers, which looks nice...I dunno. Would have to go back and watch the game again which ain't gonna happen.
We have talent, especially on offense. When we play inside out we are a pretty good offensive team. Mick may need to get checked up because something is off with him.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #573
Nayers

Nayers is on a distinguished road
I ran into a couple of older x fans at skyline after the game. They were very cordial and raved about Ellis. They said how they were worried after we came out of the half and we're playing hard. Then one of them asked why Ellis didn't play the last 7 minutes. I told them he did play, and they were amazed we didn't feed him in the post. Execution. We had the tools to win the game, hoping it all comes together soon so we even have a chance to play meaningful games in March.
Was planning on going to the conference tourney in March but if they are still playing this way then, there might be more day trips to the beach once we go out in round 1.
Nayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #574
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
This is just absolute bullcrap. I posted the stats before so I'll post them again.

Of the teams that made the sweet 16 last year 10 had a AdjT of 150th or lower, 6 220 or lower.

4 elite 8 teams had an AdjT of 223 or slower.

Final 4 had 3 teams with AdjT of 245 or slower.

Sweet 16 teams with tempo in the top 100? 4, of those only 1 got to the elite 8 and 0 to the final 4.

That is what reality is. People can think whatever they want, but the facts are the facts. We did not lose because it was a slow game. We get beat in that game no matter how many possessions there are because we are flat out not good enough as a team right now. That's it.

Until Mick finds a way to coach offense we are going to be screwed. Until he learns to teach the team to attack a defense instead of throw lollipop passes for 20 seconds 30 feet from the basket, we're going to be screwed. Those are the real issues. Well that and the fact we are so careless with the ball.

Wanna know why we lost yesterday? We made it a 7 point game with 12:44 to go. Our next possession was a turnover, next possession was a turnover, next possession was a turnover, next possession was a layup, next possession was a turnover, next possession was a turnover. We went from the 12:44 mark to the 9:00 timeout and took 1 shot and turned it over 5 times.
I've never said we need to be Top 100 in tempo, or even that close. At one point this year we were up 92 spots from last year into the 240 range. We'll never be better than that when team take a long time to get shots against us...I get that. But the crap we did yesterday fits us right back to where we were last year in the 330 range. Never gonna work. 0 easy baskets is never going to work. The only one we even tried to get, Clark got stripped and had it bounce off of him for a TO. That was it. And it wasn't bc of Xavier. It was bc of our crappy gameplan to beat them in that type of game...even though we know that way doesn't work with this group. We did the same thing vs Nebraska and GW but won bc those teams aren't that good. But Xavier is, Kentucky is, etc. That's the whole point. Mick has clearly learned nothing bc he decided losing the way we lost to Butler is unacceptable. It's too bad bc that actually gives us a chance.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #575
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
You guys are making some really astute points. And the more thought I give it, the more obvious it becomes. You win at this level with guards, or at least a player or two with the ability to do something off the bounce - drive, create a shot for himself or someone else, etc. Honestly, it looks like the only guy with a desire to do that is Shaq and unfortunately, his dribbling skills are eerily similar to mine?

Is Troy that guy? Honestly? Or is it like some have said here - that Troy is playing out of position and needs to be off the ball? I'm slowly getting to the point where I'd rather hand the keys over to Jenifer and Evans, live with their rookie mistakes, and let them roll. Jenifer at least shows some desire to make plays, along with some skill. Defense is an issue but it's not like Troy didn't get caught out of position 3-5 times yesterday.

Walk it up all you want but RUN AN OFFENSE.
I'm just worried that the longer Jenifer sits, the more he becomes like Mick's version of a Bearcat...which is like everyone else we've seen. Making players change their game to fit a certain style is foolish. If you can't live with Jenifer making an error of commission, don't recruit him.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 12-13-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:42 AM   #576
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

We dropped from 248 to 282 in tempo...just from yesterday. And SHOCKER we we lucky to score 55 in the game that dropped us that far.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #577
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I'm just worried that the longer Jenifer sits, the more he becomes like Mick's version of a Bearcat...which is like everyone else we've seen. Making player change their game to fit a certain style is foolish. If you can't live with Jenifer making an error of commission, don't recruit him.
Jenifer is no more ready to run this team then you or I am. He may eventually get there but not now. Many players are recruited for their ceiling. Few walk in and make a immediate impact. If he would have played 30 minutes yesterday we still would have lost.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #578
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I've never said we need to be Top 100 in tempo, or even that close. At one point this year we were up 92 spots from last year into the 240 range. We'll never be better than that when team take a long time to get shots against us...I get that. But the crap we did yesterday fits us right back to where we were last year in the 330 range. Never gonna work. 0 easy baskets is never going to work. The only one we even tried to get, Clark got stripped and had it bounce off of him for a TO. That was it. And it wasn't bc of Xavier. It was bc of our crappy gameplan to beat them in that type of game...even though we know that way doesn't work with this group. We did the same thing vs Nebraska and GW but won bc those teams aren't that good. But Xavier is, Kentucky is, etc. That's the whole point. Mick has clearly learned nothing bc he decided losing the way we lost to Butler is unacceptable. It's too bad bc that actually gives us a chance.
you and Mick have a different opinion of what will work best for this group. If your unhappy with his game plans I suggest you call Bohn. The one thing I will say is Mick is responsible for the talent. If he can not recruit people to win it may be time for a change. That should be decided at years end not now.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #579
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
We have talent, especially on offense. When we play inside out we are a pretty good offensive team. Mick may need to get checked up because something is off with him.
we have some strengths but we also have some glaring weaknesses.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:52 AM   #580
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Jenifer is no more ready to run this team then you or I am. He may eventually get there but not now. Many players are recruited for their ceiling. Few walk in and make a immediate impact. If he would have played 30 minutes yesterday we still would have lost.
Never said he should've played 30 minutes. Not even close. But he should've played 12.