Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #11
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
How many plays does he really create? His assist numbers are up simply because we are making more three pointers this season. Last year Farad Cobb was assisted on 40 three pointers, this year he has already been assisted on 38 (a lot of perimeter passes from Troy).

He doesn't properly run PnR's and we almost get nothing out of them. How many times has he quickly given the ball off to a cutting big man when the two defenders converge on him? He waits too long and holds the second big man out and passes the ball to the big man who set the pick 18-20 feet from the basket (if he even gives him the ball). We essentially get nothing out of those plays. He isn't a natural playmaker as a facilitator. Don't think he has the true instincts to be a PG. If he isn't creating plays by scoring (which is really inefficient at this season), he hasn't helped our offense.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #12
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Troy Caupain has the lowest eFG% (45.8%) of anyone in the top 8 of the rotation. Quadri Moore (39 FGA) and Zach Tobler (3 FGA) are the only ones with a lower eFG%.
Yep, 74 3PA, 79 2PA.

Last year it was 76 3PA, 165 2PA.

He's averaging almost exactly the same amount of 2 point shots per game but over twice as many 3's. He's got to get back to his game. No more settling for the 3 point shot.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #13
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post

He doesn't properly run PnR's and we almost get nothing out of them. How many times has he quickly given the ball off to a cutting big man when the two defenders converge on him?

Do we as a team run PnR's? We set picks, do we ever roll to the basket?

Nearly every "PnR" that I remember Caupain almost always instantly passes it to the wing on the opposite side of the court when they hedge on him.

I really don't know if this is by design or not, but either way it need to change.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #14
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Do we as a team run PnR's? We set picks, do we ever roll to the basket?

Nearly every "PnR" that I remember Caupain almost always instantly passes it to the wing on the opposite side of the court when they hedge on him.

I really don't know if this is by design or not, but either way it need to change.
He can't make passes to big off roll. He doesn't even look for big. Smu just left roll man wide open. Only time ww fed to big was off a Evans pass. We ran the same play 80% of game and not ONCE did #10 or Cobb pass to roll man. I blame Mick. I'm sitting on couch and I see from miles away #10 wants 0 to do with ball
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #15
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Troy is a very average guard. His stats are not impressive this year. He doesn't belong running the point. We'll never see his true potential if he is forced to play out of position all 4 years. We'll also never see our true potential either.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #16
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
Troy is a very average guard. His stats are not impressive this year. He doesn't belong running the point. We'll never see his true potential if he is forced to play out of position all 4 years. We'll also never see our true potential either.
What top programs would use him as a PG for up to 37 minutes in a game? A bunch of my buddies are KU fans and the thought of him playing PG there just seems very off. It would never happen.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #17
L-T
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
What top programs would use him as a PG for up to 37 minutes in a game? A bunch of my buddies are KU fans and the thought of him playing PG there just seems very off. It would never happen.
He was annointed our point guard because everyone wanted Guyn gone. That's all anyone cared about. Maybe he was an upgrade to Guyn (maybe not). That doesn't mean he belongs in that position. There are very few ( if any) power 5 programs that would have him running the point. The fact that the head coach believes he's one of the best guards in the country should call into question the head coach's own ability. I've seen so many better guards than Troy that it would honestly be difficult to figure out just how low he would be ranked. Again, he's not bad, but if you are grading him, it would be hard to give him much more than a C+ this year. Out side of Cobb, I don't know if anyone would get past C+.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #18
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I would really love to see JJ run with the first team with Cobb and Caupain both in the game. Even for just 5 minutes. I want to see how that would work.

I hate mass substitutions with 2nd team players.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #19
L-T
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would really love to see JJ run with the first team with Cobb and Caupain both in the game. Even for just 5 minutes. I want to see how that would work.

I hate mass substitutions with 2nd team players.
Which is another reason to pay less attention to JJ's stats. He rarely gets to play with the better players. His stats will be harder to pad when the guys around him are mostly bench players. Let's see him run with the big boys and then judge his readiness.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #20
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I can't disagree with that. Perfect example is Cobb. He has been our highest point scorer since about last 10 games last year. Around that same time he was inserted into the starting lineup.

For some reason we must have felt that guards who were averaging 1 or 2 fouls a game were suddenly going to go foul crazy if they played at the same time.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote