Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #31
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBearcat3 View Post
The real point being JACOB is that no 1 guy is to blame for the season to this point. Lots of blame to be passed out. You always miss the big picture.
Yep. Got it.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #32
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBearcat3 View Post
I've seen a few but the debate is almost always 95% of the time is about Troy and Jenifer. Occasionally Shaq/Ellis.
I really don't think there has been a Jenifer/Caupain debate. The only issue with Jenifer is whether he should have his minutes increased or not. And, that doesn't mean I thimk the minutes should come from Troy. If the Jenifer supporters were making it a JJ or Troy debate, it would be different. I for one have identified our inside game as our #1 problem. I believe if the inside game were better, Troy would be better. That being said, Troy is part of the problem with the inside guys because he's not capable of making the passes to them at the optimum time that would result in success for them. There is a huge lack of confidense in the body language of our inside guys and I think the point guard has contributed to that. In the Tulsa game, we saw two or three crisp well-timed passes inside to our big guys that resulted in easy baskets or fouls. Jenifer is a true point guard that has the skills to accomplish this particular thing. But his complete game still hasn't advanced enough to make it a valid debate about whether or not he should start.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #33
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

I fear he is becoming another inefficient jump shooter PG. Like Guyn before him, Jenifer after him, and Johnson beside him..
Old 01-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #34
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure what his problem is right now. I think I have an idea. Last year he was pretty effective.

When things are going right the confidence feeds down to every player...they aren't afraid to take a shot that presents itself. When things are going wrong we have players passing up shots. Troy is left burdened with many of those because he's not afraid to put it on himself.

We play best when they are all aggressive. ..Cobb, Evans, Clark, DeBerry etc.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #35
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I'm not sure what his problem is right now. I think I have an idea. Last year he was pretty effective.

When things are going right the confidence feeds down to every player...they aren't afraid to take a shot that presents itself. When things are going wrong we have players passing up shots. Troy is left burdened with many of those because he's not afraid to put it on himself.

We play best when they are all aggressive. ..Cobb, Evans, Clark, DeBerry etc.
fellas let's not completely forget about the idea that the other team is actually trying to stop us from scoring. Troy is a very good PG. His asset are up,TO's are down. Our offense is scoring more. Our failures this season have not been offensive. People have a hard time with Troy because many want us to play a different brand of basketball. Pushing the ball and running a fast paced offense is not something we excel at. Most on here think that is why we aren't winning. This team has improved offensively but regressed defensively.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #36
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
fellas let's not completely forget about the idea that the other team is actually trying to stop us from scoring. Troy is a very good PG. His asset are up,TO's are down. Our offense is scoring more. Our failures this season have not been offensive. People have a hard time with Troy because many want us to play a different brand of basketball. Pushing the ball and running a fast paced offense is not something we excel at. Most on here think that is why we aren't winning. This team has improved offensively but regressed defensively.
I was trying to figure out why his % are down. I am fairly content with what we've been doing on offense. We haven’t struggled to get decent shots off before the buzzer like last year and we've had 5 seconds less to do it. However. ..when we are late...who's willing to take it?
Old 01-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #37
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I would guess...and it's strictly a guess...Troy takes 2-3 shots late in the clock that are mostly forced by lack of someone else taking the opportunity
Old 01-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #38
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would guess...and it's strictly a guess...Troy takes 2-3 shots late in the clock that are mostly forced by lack of someone else taking the opportunity
I certainly think your guess is somewhat accurate. Troy suffers from people wanting him to be something he is not. He is a very good PG who does a lot of things well but he is not capable of carrying the team. Don't know if we have that guy. This team is hard to figure because if we guarded as well as last year we would be a ranked team right now. Many people reference that Coach said he was one of the best players in country or Ellis has NBA potential . Every coach in America over values his players from time to time.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #39
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I certainly think your guess is somewhat accurate. Troy suffers from people wanting him to be something he is not. He is a very good PG who does a lot of things well but he is not capable of carrying the team. Don't know if we have that guy. This team is hard to figure because if we guarded as well as last year we would be a ranked team right now. Many people reference that Coach said he was one of the best players in country or Ellis has NBA potential . Every coach in America over values his players from time to time.
I agree we don't have the type of player who can take over at end of games. Not on a consistent basis anyway. It's not necessarily his fault we don't have another option. I don't have a problem with coach talking his players up...that's a good thing imo.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #40
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

One thing I don't get that makes me feel like Caupain isn't a natural PG, is where he gets the inbound pass. The other team isn't pressing, so why stand 2 feet from the baseline to walk it up? Not only are we walking it up, but it is for about 70 feet. You notice Jenifer is usually beyond the 3 point line, and sometimes even fires a chest pass straight to the wing from there. There is at minimum a 3 second difference on when we start the offense. I'll never understand why any college team does it the way we do when Caupain is running things.