Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Memphis Part II

Saturday, March 2nd, 2019
8:00 PM
Fifth Third Arena
ESPNU

Since their close loss to us at FedExForum just over 3 weeks ago, Memphis (18-11, 10-6 AAC, NET 53) has won 5 of their past 6 games and found themselves close to the NCAA tournament bubble. Although, they are still without a Q1 win on the year, recent victories @Wichita and against Temple have marked a turnaround of sorts for a team that has struggled to beat good competition throughout the season.

The primary catalyst of their improved play has been senior Jeremiah Martin, who has emerged as an AAC POY candidate off the strength of averaging over 30 ppg during their last 8 games. Over this stretch he is shooting a remarkable 54% from 3 (33/61).

Martin will need some scoring help from his teammates if Memphis wants to compete at Fifth Third; they only accounted for 38 points and shot 2-15 from 3 during our first match-up. Memphis also tied their season-low for points scored in a game when they were held to 64 against us, which marked only the third time they scored below 70 this season (and first time during AAC play).

Contain Martin and I feel very confident about our chances of winning as we head into Judgment Week to wrap up our regular season.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Home night game on a Saturday, fifth third will be rockin. I think this is the game Jarron gets his Mojo back, if we want to make any kind of run we need him at his best. I am glad we got that 26% shooting game out of the way (pray it doesn't happen again). Memphis can really score so we will need to shoot well. I am sure everyone remembers all the 3's in the first meeting. UC wins 72-68.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Who or what are we going to throw at Martin? Will Johnson get some minutes to chase him around? I don't want to see Williams or Cumberland in foul trouble. Martin will shoot right over Jenifer or probably Broome. He will go right around many of our other players.

I wouldn't mind seeing Johnson deny him the ball for about 10-15 minutes.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #4
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Who or what are we going to throw at Martin? Will Johnson get some minutes to chase him around? I don't want to see Williams or Cumberland in foul trouble. Martin will shoot right over Jenifer or probably Broome. He will go right around many of our other players.

I wouldn't mind seeing Johnson deny him the ball for about 10-15 minutes.
In all honesty I think martin is going to get his no matter who we put on him. We just have to not let anyone else beat us and hope we don't shoot 26% again.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
In all honesty I think martin is going to get his no matter who we put on him. We just have to not let anyone else beat us and hope we don't shoot 26% again.
I agree he will get his...but that can mean anything from 25-40 really.

In the last 8 games he has put up 37 or better 3 times. 30 or better 5 times. 25 or better 7 times.

There is no way we can look at him and say "he is going to get his". We have to figure out a way to hold him under 25. I would say some heavy DENY is in order tomorrow night...and we can't really do that with guys we want to keep out of foul trouble because he gets to the line. 57 FT attempts in the last 5 games. His ORTG has been above 150 in the last 3 games at a high usage and over 133 for the last 8.

This guy is playing in a different stratosphere right now
Old 03-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #6
beeman7467

beeman7467 is on a distinguished road
In Penny’s mind they’ve already won the game. Confidence is nice, but hopefully he’s overreached a bit in his judgement. Homecourt is a huge advantage. I don’t think they’re disciplined enough to shut Jarron down, but we’ll see. Be nice to shut him up.
beeman7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:34 PM   #7
MylesFoxMorrisey

MylesFoxMorrisey is on a distinguished road
Seems like a nice time to whip out the throwback 92' jerseys...maybe not until Houston?
MylesFoxMorrisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I agree he will get his...but that can mean anything from 25-40 really.

In the last 8 games he has put up 37 or better 3 times. 30 or better 5 times. 25 or better 7 times.

There is no way we can look at him and say "he is going to get his". We have to figure out a way to hold him under 25. I would say some heavy DENY is in order tomorrow night...and we can't really do that with guys we want to keep out of foul trouble because he gets to the line. 57 FT attempts in the last 5 games. His ORTG has been above 150 in the last 3 games at a high usage and over 133 for the last 8.

This guy is playing in a different stratosphere right now
We didn't do a terrible job at guarding him last time other than when people would leave him wide open at 3 in an attempt at help defense. We really need to stop leaving wide open corner 3s trying to help down. A contested 2 in a 1on1 situation is a less efficient shot than a wide open corner 3.

Martin only made 1 shot that wasn't a 3 against us.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
We didn't do a terrible job at guarding him last time other than when people would leave him wide open at 3 in an attempt at help defense. We really need to stop leaving wide open corner 3s trying to help down. A contested 2 in a 1on1 situation is a less efficient shot than a wide open corner 3.

Martin only made 1 shot that wasn't a 3 against us.
Yah we allowed him to make some threes and we didn't foul him.

If we guard him on the 3 line he can kill us the other way. He's averaging about 7 two point makes and nearly 10 made FT's the last 5 games.

We have to try to deny him the ball as much as we can. He can beat you just about any way he wants. I really would like to see if Johnson can stay with him at some point in the game
Old 03-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #10
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road

The line is a few points higher than I would've guessed a few days ago.

If Cumberland gets going early then I think the team will build off his momentum and the sky is the limit.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote