Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
cincyalum2014
Member
 
cincyalum2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 56
cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
UCF Round 2

Okay here we go with round two with UCF. It looks like UCF is the favorite with this being a home game and coming off a big win at Houston.

ESPN2

7PM

The fact this game between two top 25 teams is on ESPN2 is BS. The 7pm game on ESPN is Iowa (21-9) VS #21 Wisconsin (20-9).

I expect this game to be very physical much like the last time we played them at home. Obviously everyone knows about Taco Fall and I am hoping this is the last time we have to play that guy. But Aubry Dawkins and BJ Taylor are the two players that we need to stop, both played very well against Houston. You know UFC is gonna come out and play the 2-3 zone and cheat in defending the perimeter because they know Taco is in the middle. I think Brooks NEEDS to stay out of foul trouble, Jarron just needs to be Jarron. I think Jenifer and Cane continue to compliment each other well. My X factor to this game is Keith Williams, IMO we will need a big night from this young man. Looking forward to what I would hope would be a sell out game for them. Prediction UC wins 72-69.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the game. Go Cats

cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
cincycpaw
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,486
cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
My hope is, if we drive by the perimeter defender and go to the basket that we either

1) Have guys slashing to the hope and the look is to pass around Tacko or,
2) Our athletic kids drive and attempt to go around tacko using the rim for protection and the last option;
3) Broome and maybe Cumberland finish with floaters. It's a tougher shot than most people think and it seems like Broome has been the only one effective. Cumberland didn't look good on floaters in the 1st round...but he is so good I'm sure he could finish Thursday night.

The other key will be ball movement on the perimeter and catching the ball ready to shot. Need Jenifer, Cumberland, Broome, Williams and even Moore ready to catch and shoot with no hesitation.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #3
TheShoeFits
Senior Member
 
TheShoeFits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 401
TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Okay here we go with round two with UCF. It looks like UCF is the favorite with this being a home game and coming off a big win at Houston.

ESPN2

7PM

The fact this game between two top 25 teams is on ESPN2 is BS. The 7pm game on ESPN is Iowa (21-9) VS #21 Wisconsin (20-9).

I expect this game to be very physical much like the last time we played them at home. Obviously everyone knows about Taco Fall and I am hoping this is the last time we have to play that guy. But Aubry Dawkins and BJ Taylor are the two players that we need to stop, both played very well against Houston. You know UFC is gonna come out and play the 2-3 zone and cheat in defending the perimeter because they know Taco is in the middle. I think Brooks NEEDS to stay out of foul trouble, Jarron just needs to be Jarron. I think Jenifer and Cane continue to compliment each other well. My X factor to this game is Keith Williams, IMO we will need a big night from this young man. Looking forward to what I would hope would be a sell out game for them. Prediction UC wins 72-69.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the game. Go Cats

I'd be interested to see the ratings comparison between the two games.

Hopefully someone smarter than me will find the numbers and post them.
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,928
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
My hope is, if we drive by the perimeter defender and go to the basket that we either

1) Have guys slashing to the hope and the look is to pass around Tacko or,
2) Our athletic kids drive and attempt to go around tacko using the rim for protection and the last option;
3) Broome and maybe Cumberland finish with floaters. It's a tougher shot than most people think and it seems like Broome has been the only one effective. Cumberland didn't look good on floaters in the 1st round...but he is so good I'm sure he could finish Thursday night.

The other key will be ball movement on the perimeter and catching the ball ready to shot. Need Jenifer, Cumberland, Broome, Williams and even Moore ready to catch and shoot with no hesitation.
I agree with all of your points but I am not sure on #3. Yes it would be nice to make the floaters we shoot but I am not sure we want to attempt very many over the tallest man in NCAA. Your average floater will not work on him meaning you have to create a new floater for one game.

I would prefer pull up J's just outside his range (only when he is in). If we are going to go at him with floaters I would prefer to just go right at his body or use the rim as protection as you mention. He has negatively affected way too many floaters against us over time or even shorter pull up J's that we misjudged his range on.

We should have the mid range J all open night while Tacko is in. Either that or go right at him...stop trying to shoot over him at close range
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
Emperor Snapper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 190
Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I agree with all of your points but I am not sure on #3. Yes it would be nice to make the floaters we shoot but I am not sure we want to attempt very many over the tallest man in NCAA. Your average floater will not work on him meaning you have to create a new floater for one game.

I would prefer pull up J's just outside his range (only when he is in). If we are going to go at him with floaters I would prefer to just go right at his body or use the rim as protection as you mention. He has negatively affected way too many floaters against us over time or even shorter pull up J's that we misjudged his range on.

We should have the mid range J all open night while Tacko is in. Either that or go right at him...stop trying to shoot over him at close range
Trying to shoot floaters over Tacko Fall reminds me of what 7-footer James Edwards said about trying to shoot his signature fadeaway against 7'7" Manute Bol:

"I remember going up to shoot my fadeaway jumper against him, and I
just kept fading and fading and fading. By the time I thought I had a clear
shot, I didn't even hit the rim."
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Queens_NYC
Elite Member
 
Queens_NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 623
Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
This will be the ultimate shot at redemption for Tre Scott since his missed dunk in the closing seconds of this game 2 years ago cost us a shot at OT and a chance to share the AAC title with SMU. As a team we shot horrible that game, and if it weren't for some late heroics by Evans, we could've lost by double digits.

Focusing on tomorrow, UCF is playing their best basketball of the season right now. Since losing to us, they've shot 50% from the field over their past 3 games (SMU, @USF, @Houston).

Tacko in particular has been immense, averaging 18 ppg and 11.7 rpg over the past 3 games. He hasn't blocked a shot in either of his past 2 games (despite playing 30/min game) which shows teams have been very conscious about not shooting within his vicinity.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
cincyalum2014
Member
 
cincyalum2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 56
cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
This will be the ultimate shot at redemption for Tre Scott since his missed dunk in the closing seconds of this game 2 years ago cost us a shot at OT and a chance to share the AAC title with SMU. As a team we shot horrible that game, and if it weren't for some late heroics by Evans, we could've lost by double digits.

Focusing on tomorrow, UCF is playing their best basketball of the season right now. Since losing to us, they've shot 50% from the field over their past 3 games (SMU, @USF, @Houston).

Tacko in particular has been immense, averaging 18 ppg and 11.7 rpg over the past 3 games. He hasn't blocked a shot in either of his past 2 games (despite playing 30/min game) which shows teams have been very conscious about not shooting within his vicinity.

I was having a good day until you brought this back into my memory haha.

But in all seriousness I agree with that. Taco has been playing very well the last few weeks. Its almost impossible to drive in and score without drawing a foul, he's just so big. I think we come out and take care of business.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #8
cincycpaw
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,486
cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I agree with all of your points but I am not sure on #3. Yes it would be nice to make the floaters we shoot but I am not sure we want to attempt very many over the tallest man in NCAA. Your average floater will not work on him meaning you have to create a new floater for one game.

I would prefer pull up J's just outside his range (only when he is in). If we are going to go at him with floaters I would prefer to just go right at his body or use the rim as protection as you mention. He has negatively affected way too many floaters against us over time or even shorter pull up J's that we misjudged his range on.

We should have the mid range J all open night while Tacko is in. Either that or go right at him...stop trying to shoot over him at close range
Yeah I meant only those guys shoot floaters and only as last resort (#3 option of 3 when beating the perimeter guys). I share your concern.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
Jon Rycek
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,739
Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
This will be the ultimate shot at redemption for Tre Scott since his missed dunk in the closing seconds of this game 2 years ago cost us a shot at OT and a chance to share the AAC title with SMU. As a team we shot horrible that game, and if it weren't for some late heroics by Evans, we could've lost by double digits.

Focusing on tomorrow, UCF is playing their best basketball of the season right now. Since losing to us, they've shot 50% from the field over their past 3 games (SMU, @USF, @Houston).

Tacko in particular has been immense, averaging 18 ppg and 11.7 rpg over the past 3 games. He hasn't blocked a shot in either of his past 2 games (despite playing 30/min game) which shows teams have been very conscious about not shooting within his vicinity.
Well thatís inflated because of the 23 n 20 SMU game. He will play as usual against us, much more of a problem on defense then offense. Our Bigs do a great job of slowing his production down. Dawkins is going to be the key just like last game, we keep him from going off we win. Im having a good feeling about this game. Because itís the cats, theyíll find a way to make it close or at least feel close, I think we lead a lot of the game though, gonna say we win 66-61.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #10
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,560
Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
If Tacko is in the game in either half with 2 minutes or less, please foul him repeatedly, make him shoot FT's, they equal TO's
__________________
"Every day we are day-to-day." Coach Cronin
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.