Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-29-2018, 07:14 AM   #41
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
Limited info is floating around on Twitter...read UC won 66-61. DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING from that. These scrimmages are just glorified practices.
"Hey guys, let's go out and lose this scrimmage!"...said no one ever. You really think these kids aren't trying to win?
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #42
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
"Hey guys, let's go out and lose this scrimmage!"...said no one ever. You really think these kids aren't trying to win?
Never said that. However, having been around something like this before, I can tell you that a lot of "little" things are coached and picked apart and tinkered with.

Is that what happened Sunday? Don't know, but I'd take a guess at yes.

Is it competitive? Sure.
Is it dire? Not really.

Nothing to see here.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #43
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
We could hope for some major transformations out of a few players this year but those are more the exception than the rule. I have also not heard news of any one player who seems to have made that type of leap. But that doesn't mean small improvements in the right places couldn't help us in a big way.

A couple of minor things that wouldn't seem completely out of the question that we could sure use this year would be...

We get Brooks to slow his game down a bit and become moderately reliable at making that little low post baby hook and score 8-10 ppg. We need someone (anyone) to demand attention on the block if we can get it. Especially if and when 2 bigs are on the court.

Williams makes around 30% from 3. We have Cumberland and Broome who can score at all 3 levels. Williams just needs to get that 3 ball to drop to keep the defense honest for his driving game to work.

I don't think either of these would be asking too much. It would be much tougher for a guy like Moore to develop the ball skills to be a play maker than it would for Williams to make a few more 3 balls.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:20 AM   #44
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Very excited for the season to get underway. Will be interesting to see who takes that big step forward. Kyle, Gary and Jacob will not be easy to replace on many levels. We are not a one and done school so player development will be key as it is every year. Lots of guys who have the potential label. Who will step up? My guess is Broome and Scott have nice years and Logan Johnson gets better as the year goes on. If one of Moore, Brooks or Williams arrives it could be a very nice year. Cumberland is a given but he needs help. Finding some consistency from the rest of the roster will be huge.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #45
tonka

tonka is on a distinguished road
Quick question. I know we are all crushed by the loss to Nevada but did that game really end the fandom for some on the board?

I was devastated and couldn't talk about it for months but I am really excited for this season. I am looking forward to seeing some new guys step up. That's the great thing about college basketball is you always have new guys coming in. I will really miss Gary and Evans but I am sure I will eventually love Logan or Trevor Moore or someone else for the memories they will create this season. I am hopeful for another tournament appearance and then who knows what can happen once you get there. I will always be a Bearcat diehard no matter what.
tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #46
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka View Post
Quick question. I know we are all crushed by the loss to Nevada but did that game really end the fandom for some on the board?

I was devastated and couldn't talk about it for months but I am really excited for this season. I am looking forward to seeing some new guys step up. That's the great thing about college basketball is you always have new guys coming in. I will really miss Gary and Evans but I am sure I will eventually love Logan or Trevor Moore or someone else for the memories they will create this season. I am hopeful for another tournament appearance and then who knows what can happen once you get there. I will always be a Bearcat diehard no matter what.
Didn’t end my fandom. Ending my pretending Cronin is more than a solid coach. I hope he proves me wrong.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:34 AM   #47
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

it definitely capped the expectations going forward under the current staff. i used to have an unlimited cap for what i thought they could do, but now it seems tournament each year and sweet 16 once every 10 or so years is where its at.

No sweet 16's since Yancy was here makes most feel pretty sad I would imagine.

But its kinda like the Bengals, you can enjoy them for what they are, or you can move on and not pay attention.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:12 PM   #48
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:

I dont think it ended fandom for anybody big enough a fan to actually come on these type of message boards to post. For me I'll admit I have a huge sour taste in my mouth after last year. And I really don't blame Cronin like most. I do think we're maxed out at what Cronin will bring us, but last year I truly ring up as a fluke loss/meltdown than any indication of we lost because of Cronin. But with the loss and losing three really good players I just haven't had much reason to talk until I see basketball again. Arguing about Cronin is pointless and discussing Cane Broome vs. Justin Jenifer is tiresome. Speculating on players I've never seen play isn't something I much care to do. So I just have a wait to see approach. Come tomorrow night and especially next Wednesday I'll be geeked as ever for some basketball. And having something to actually discuss will bring people back on here.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:05 PM   #49
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I dont think it ended fandom for anybody big enough a fan to actually come on these type of message boards to post.

People are down. It will keep some away temporarily just like when the Bengals lost that playoff game to the Steelers. Some might stay away just because they've reevaluated how they want to spend their time and dont want to get so involved just to get their hearts ripped out. Being a city of cincinnati sports fan is a hard life.

But most will return as long as the team wins.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:34 PM   #50
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
People are down. It will keep some away temporarily just like when the Bengals lost that playoff game to the Steelers. Some might stay away just because they've reevaluated how they want to spend their time and dont want to get so involved just to get their hearts ripped out. Being a city of cincinnati sports fan is a hard life.

But most will return as long as the team wins.
Agreed. I'll say even further, it is the offseason. The only offseasons this board has been lively are when expectations were elevated and even more so a better outcome was expected than the prior year. It's easy to see last years team was a really good one and special and it was their year to do damage. An air of uncertainty has fans on hold. I think this year will be big on keeping fans. We have pretty much sold out the season before the season started. New money spenders for the program are on board, not necessarily new fans but new support with dollars. So keeping them is important. Most fans know it's a transition year and dont expect a final four, but what will be a successful year I'm sure differs for different fans. Making the tournament is a must imo to keep fans around, but long term (and I'm thinking 2-3 years) the new arena buzz will be done and the second round threshold will be tiresome for even more than it is now. We need a good run in March and need to keep getting exciting players like Clark, Evans and Cumberland. I'm hoping Logan Johnson and maybe one of the 2019 recruits keeps that trend but time will tell.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote