Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #61
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
And our NET ranking is 25...so the math is not so clear.
The rank of 25 would put us as the first 7 seed no? 4 teams x 6 seeds = 24. The 7 seeds would be ranked from 25-28 in a perfect world.

Maybe I am missing something. I have in the past...lol
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #62
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
We showed last year that seeding means absolutely nothing to us. I by no mean think this team is better than last years but I do think they have more momentum and more of a chip on there shoulder than last years team did. Last year we had a lot of things go our way in the conference championship game with Houston and you know if Rob Grey doesn't throw that ball away he hits a 3 to win because well.... its Cincinnati. This year for the most part UC imposed there will on Houston in the championship game. I like our chances against Iowa and I will worry about Tennessee if it gets to that point.... But until then Cheers to beating Iowa boys, its been a fun season.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #63
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Our NET ranking is also irrelevant. NET is used sort quadrant games. It matters for our opponents.

Everything the committee uses is on the team sheet. When looking at all of that information, and not your personal benchmarks like polls and conference tournament results, it's very clear why we are a 7 seed.

In fact, I have stated repeatedly in the last week that it would be very tough to land a 6.

yeah people need to step back and take the name cincinnati out of it and just look at the resume. i can't point to any metric out there and say we deserve better. plus we get to play 90 minutes from home. all things considered it was a great result for us.

and to make us feel a bit better, there are 2 teams ranked higher than us on kenpom that didn't even make the tournament and the team ranked right behind us didn't either.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #64
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
It's crazy how well our seeding competition did in the last week. Auburn, Iowa St and Villanova all won their conference tournaments. That really negated whatever boost our AAC championship would have given us.

But yeah, I'll take a 7 seed in Columbus over a 6 seed anywhere else.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #65
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
The rank of 25 would put us as the first 7 seed no? 4 teams x 6 seeds = 24. The 7 seeds would be ranked from 25-28 in a perfect world.

Maybe I am missing something. I have in the past...lol
think the main problem is you hear that the NET is going to be main deciding factor with other rankings such as kenpom also "taken into consideration". Then you see the discrepancy in the rankings and the only logical response is wtf?
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #66
TheRealUC
Elite Member

Quote:
Our NET ranking is also irrelevant. NET is used sort quadrant games. It matters for our opponents.

Everything the committee uses is on the team sheet. When looking at all of that information, and not your personal benchmarks like polls and conference tournament results, it's very clear why we are a 7 seed.

In fact, I have stated repeatedly in the last week that it would be very tough to land a 6.
I'll take the 7 given the location, but the NET does more than sort quadrants. It's a flawed system at best, but they tout it as they're new RPI.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #67
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
think the main problem is you hear that the NET is going to be main deciding factor with other rankings such as kenpom also "taken into consideration". Then you see the discrepancy in the rankings and the only logical response is wtf?
NET is the deciding factor for quadrants only. And it's way better than the RPI. As an example, NC St is 33 in both NET and Kenpom. They are 97 in the RPI. Or Washington, who is 45 NET, 51 Kenpom, and 22 RPI. Huge improvement this year.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #68
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'll take the 7 given the location, but the NET does more than sort quadrants. It's a flawed system at best, but they tout it as they're new RPI.
The NET is the new RPI. The RPI was also only used to sort quadrants. A team's actual RPI/NET has always been irrelevant since the quadrant system was introduced.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:45 PM   #69
TheRealUC
Elite Member

Quote:
NET is the deciding factor for quadrants only. And it's way better than the RPI. As an example, NC St is 33 in both NET and Kenpom. They are 97 in the RPI. Or Washington, who is 45 NET, 51 Kenpom, and 22 RPI. Huge improvement this year.
Agree it's a huge improvement, but still multiple seed line discrepancy in some cases, which i would argue is pretty significant. Yes i know there's still a subjective piece to the process, i get it, but the fact that each committee member can pick and choose what metric they want to take into account doesn't fly with me. Just my opinion.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #70
tonka

tonka is on a distinguished road
I was more concerned with matchup than anything else. I think Columbus is a great location and will actually enable me to go to my first NCAA tournament game.

Iowa is a good first round matchup for us. They fit the middle of the pack big conference team that we have done well against. They have some shooters and some size but they have struggled against physical teams. On their message boards, they have said how Bohannon needs to get 8 open looks from 3 for them to have a chance. I really hope we dont let him get going. I feel good about their results against teams like Rutgers and Ohio St who I feel are similar styles to what we will bring.

I was really hoping for us to get matched with Purdue in the round of 32. I think they are a team that we would match up well with. Tennessee is probably my preferred 2 seed though. They don't have a lot of elite talent but they execute well. In the last few years we have lost to teams that have had top 50 players (UCLA, UK, even Nevada had the Martin twins). Grant Williams is a very good player, Schofield has been great and Bone worries me a bit because of his speed but none of them were top 100 players. I would rather play them in Columbus than Michigan St or Kentucky.

If we do get to the Sweet 16, then we could perhaps get Purdue or Villanova which I would feel good about. I think our region has the worst 3, 4, and 5 seeds (maybe Marquette is worse than Wisconsin). Hopefully someone knocks off Virginia and then we are celebrating our first final 4 in 27 years.
tonka is offline   Reply With Quote