Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #211
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
What this equates to is sitting him on the bench because you want him to play more minutes?? I don't think I need to point out the irony here. It doesn't make any sense if you think it through
If player A is on the bench...they cannot be on the court.

If player A is on the court he can either keep playing or he can foul and come out.

One of these scenarios is the only way to maximize a players minutes. You can't maximize a players minutes by sitting them on the bench. It's the same reason I don't like sitting better players to start each half. You just guarantee that you will limit their potential minutes.

People say who starts doesn't matter. Baloney! It does for a couple of reasons. Maximizing the potential minutes of best players AND getting off to solid starts. You will always have the choice who is in at the end of the game.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #212
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
and he still picked up another foul instantly once he went in. maybe cause he sat for 8 minutes and wanted to make an impact. who knows.
yes...net result (on minutes) is the same as if he picked his second foul up after 2 minutes of play. The only thing you have done is taken the opportunity away from him that he could have played the 8 minutes without fouling...like he did the entire 2nd half.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #213
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
he won 30+ games two years running. His way is working. Legend if Mick quits tomorrow I will wager you any amount that we will not win a NCAA championship in the next 20 years regardless who they are able to bring in here. We don't cheat and we are not P-5. I agree with you his last two recruiting classes to this point have been MIA.
You better look at the report ESPN came out with, Jake shows up on it
Old 11-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #214
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If player A is on the bench...they cannot be on the court.

If player A is on the court he can either keep playing or he can foul and come out.

One of these scenarios is the only way to maximize a players minutes. You can't maximize a players minutes by sitting them on the bench. It's the same reason I don't like sitting better players to start each half. You just guarantee that you will limit their potential minutes.

People say who starts doesn't matter. Baloney! It does for a couple of reasons. Maximizing the potential minutes of best players AND getting off to solid starts. You will always have the choice who is in at the end of the game.
You absolutely leave out the fact that you try to manage a players fouls as the game unfolds because it can decrease his effectiveness. If player A has 4 fouls in first half do you sit him? How about mid way through the second half. Do you think playing his way towards fouling out decreases his effectiveness. WH I really think you may want to rethink your position. Sitting a player to protect him from getting his third foul in the first half is a good strategy. One that most coaches in the game employ.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #215
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
I think mick over coaches his team. There terrified to play basketball for fear of getting yanked. And I think that heavily contributed to Nevada...

There are solutions to the offensive issue. This team has limited talent. The solution is to never be in the half court. Rebound and release. Run teams out of the gym. Even if numbers don't dictate a fast break.

This team has some very high level athletes. There not great basketball players. Play to your strengths mick. Let them run and gun.
The problem with this is you have to rebound the ball first
Old 11-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #216
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Then that is a recruiting issue not offensive game planning.
It’s not a recruiting issue when he is still talking about defense after giving up 60 points in a game and having better options not playing. Admitttly not much better but better offensively. Recruiting is also an issue but not what I am referring to.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #217
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
You better look at the report ESPN came out with, Jake shows up on it
Pat does it say he was paid by our boosters or someone on our staff. If he was given money by a shoe company without our knowledge after he was at our school is that on us?
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #218
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Quote:
Pat I hear what your saying and I could almost agree with you if I had not seen him foul out of the Nevada game 50 ft from the basket or the two fouls he picked up in the OSU game. Both were terrible fouls and were very avoidable. He picked up a foul less the .20 seconds into the game. Mick being no different the most coaches will sit a player with 2 fouls in the first half to avoid risking him picking up his third. Him getting 1 so early in the game and sitting him was Mick trying to keep him from picking up his second.
I doubt any coach would sit their superstar after getting one foul for 8 minutes in 1H
Old 11-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #219
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I think its difficult to find a 5 man lineup for this team, but i know for sure it isn't 10 deep. Was it just me or did it feel like we subbed at every single stoppage of play last night?
51 subs last night in 40 minutes
Old 11-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #220
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Legend I am sure Mick would love to have better players. He does well with the players who want to come here. Unfortunately the Zion Williamson's aren't lining up to come play here.
Not one person expect Zion Williamson level player to come here. Not one. Good counter point tho
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote