Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #161
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I get confused with this contract stuff. Does this mean no matter how the summer turns out, Gary is for sure on a two way contract with Houston? I was reading a two way contact allows a player to make $77K for the year ($35K for a normal contract in the G-League), with a max of 45 days on Houston's actual NBA team which could result as a pro rated bump in salary to $200-$300K for the year?

I know Troy played with the Raptors last year then eventually signed a G league contract with Orlando. Could this happen to Gary where he doesn't even end up in the Rockets organization? Could he end up killing it in the summer league and an NBA team sign him to a full time roster spot? I just don't understand it all.
A 2-way contract can be converted into a full NBA contract at any time.

2-Way contracts are good and bad. Good in the sense that you get paid more and you are generally on the teams radar for a call up. But its bad in that if Gary is dominating the G-League and the pacers need a PF, he can't just sign with the pacers, he is locked into the Rockets and his options are limited to them on call ups.

I would imagine that if Gary is cut from the rockets, he would still be paid since its a contract. But My guess is that the Rockets really like him and he has a chance to make his way on to the full roster with a good summer league and training camp showing
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:22 PM   #162
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
A 2-way contract can be converted into a full NBA contract at any time.

2-Way contracts are good and bad. Good in the sense that you get paid more and you are generally on the teams radar for a call up. But its bad in that if Gary is dominating the G-League and the pacers need a PF, he can't just sign with the pacers, he is locked into the Rockets and his options are limited to them on call ups.

I would imagine that if Gary is cut from the rockets, he would still be paid since its a contract. But My guess is that the Rockets really like him and he has a chance to make his way on to the full roster with a good summer league and training camp showing
Thanks man. I have high hopes for him and believe he will have a long successful career
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #163
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Thanks man. I have high hopes for him and believe he will have a long successful career
I watched a cool interview with him which showed some highlights of what he was working on. They were feeding him 3's on the move...something he never did at UC. He was a spot shooter here and the green light was only on wide open looks....set shots. He looked pretty good on the move off the feed. His footwork looks solid. If he can add that dimension to his game...it's probably going to open up his opportunities. After watching the video I started to wonder how we could have used him even more than we did.

https://www.nba.com/pacers/gary-clar...draft-prospect
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #164
Nati lite

Nati lite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I watched a cool interview with him which showed some highlights of what he was working on. They were feeding him 3's on the move...something he never did at UC. He was a spot shooter here and the green light was only on wide open looks....set shots. He looked pretty good on the move off the feed. His footwork looks solid. If he can add that dimension to his game...it's probably going to open up his opportunities. After watching the video I started to wonder how we could have used him even more than we did.

I wish the Pacers would have drafted him in the second round.
Nati lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:30 AM   #165
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

He’s going to have to be a 3 and D guy at the next level. In college he is 100% a stretch 4 but he is going to so small in the nba as a stretch 4 so his nba career will hinge on hitting 3’s and locking down players.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote