Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #221
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
SOS

SOS can stand for several things---save our souls and/or same old s__t. It only took about 5 minutes of action to see how "god awful" our shooting was.
Please tell me how in the world these players can play basketball for years, 12 months a year, 24/7, and can't shoot a lick! They can run, they can jump, they can slash, they can get deflections, they can rebound, they can intimidate, but when it comes to shooting the rock (that's the name of the game), they stink! You can teach and coach defense, but you can't teach shooting, so when they are recruiting I suggest they find people who can score. SOS!!
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #222
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I doubt any coach would sit their superstar after getting one foul for 8 minutes in 1H
I think you may be wrong. Jarron's picks up more offensive fouls then he does on the defensive end. With him needing the ball in his hands for us to be effective offensively we can not having him pushing people in the back away from the ball or trying to trip players while screening. Here is a thought if you want to stay on the floor guard and stay away from cheap stupid fouls. Execute the game plan.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #223
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
He conveniently left out the part where Mick said his team was outplayed and he was out coached. The Cats where 5-21 on lay ups.
And we were told by Mick last year that Eli is an elite layup maker, UC's 6'11" center got blocked by the rim and has never been strong with the ball or able to finish, same w/ Scott so far, this is not a surprise.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #224
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
You guys enjoy your day I think this one has been beat to death. I'll be back after next game hopefully it will be a better outcome.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #225
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Quote:
I think you may be wrong. Jarron's picks up more offensive fouls then he does on the defensive end. With him needing the ball in his hands for us to be effective offensively we can not having him pushing people in the back away from the ball or trying to trip players while screening. Here is a thought if you want to stay on the floor guard and stay away from cheap stupid fouls. Execute the game plan.
How many offensive fouls did Jarron get last night? How many defensive? What was the game plan?

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 11-08-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #226
tonka

tonka is on a distinguished road
Recruits I have been excited about: Cumberland, Williams and Broome
Recruits that made me a intrigued: Logan and Hardnett
Recruits that gave me zero excitement: Moore, Jenifer, Brooks, Nsesome, Scott, Fredericks, Diarra, Prince

The reason for the lack of excitement was because none of those guys had other big offers or seemed like they were game changers. That's a lot of guys for a team that should be doing better. Forever, I have said I dont think UC can do better than Mick and I have been a supporter of his but watching this team last night made me really disappointed in our recruiting. I understand trying to find one diamond in the rough but this team looked awful on the offensive end. I think with that new arena and our tradition, we should expect better than what Mick is putting out there.
tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #227
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You absolutely leave out the fact that you try to manage a players fouls as the game unfolds because it can decrease his effectiveness. If player A has 4 fouls in first half do you sit him? How about mid way through the second half. Do you think playing his way towards fouling out decreases his effectiveness. WH I really think you may want to rethink your position. Sitting a player to protect him from getting his third foul in the first half is a good strategy. One that most coaches in the game employ.
I am strictly talking about foul number one and addressed foul number 2 in the first response. Sitting him after 1 foul is/was ridiculous. Of course you manage 2nd, 3rd and 4th fouls. Normally I agree with sitting a player with 2 fouls in the first half especially if they are prone to fouling out or getting to 4 a lot. However, if it is a rare occurrence for a player I might rethink even 2 fouls in the first half and chalk it up as an exception. Cumberland is our main scoring option and we only really have 1 other. We may not even have the luxury of sitting him with 2 fouls because of how detrimental it is to our offense (which already sucks). But I would at least understand if we did.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #228
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

10/49 from 3 in 2 games at new arena. Teams are going to pack it in until show can shoot outside with any consistency moving forward.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #229
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Quote:
he won 30+ games two years running. His way is working. Legend if Mick quits tomorrow I will wager you any amount that we will not win a NCAA championship in the next 20 years regardless who they are able to bring in here. We don't cheat and we are not P-5. I agree with you his last two recruiting classes to this point have been MIA.
Do you think a new HC could obtain these numbers? Look at coaches similar to Mick in tenure and school and compare

0-3 vs OSU
3-8 vs XU
1 outright conf championship in 11 years
1 conf tournament champion in 11 years
1 Sweet Sixteen in 11 years

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 11-08-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #230
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I think its difficult to find a 5 man lineup for this team, but i know for sure it isn't 10 deep. Was it just me or did it feel like we subbed at every single stoppage of play last night?
The 5 man lineup is difficult to say. I can only tell you 4 of them. I was hoping we could go with 1 big at a time. I don't think Brooks or Ellie work very well with high ball screens or pick n rolls. So Scott is really the only big that can help us on offense really. But then you have to go really small and lose your rim protection and rebounding advantage.

Are we going to try to win by shutting teams down and scoring minimial points or can we put a lineup out there that can score better even if we suffer a bit on D? I think we know what Cronin is going to do.

I would love to say Johnson, Cumberland, Broome, Scott and pick your wing.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote