Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #121
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Eliel better than rap at basketball... Lol.

Nice try.
Better for THIS TEAM
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:49 PM   #122
Lefty

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Perhaps hard for you, not for me. Who are either of them going to take minute from? It's not like these sub top100 recruits are going to come in and start dominating. They are program guys and are going to take time. Factor in that they can't play defense and have never played college ball you are expecting way too much.

UC's defensive problem is they have no rim protector. Yes, they are slow on perimeter defense but again, DJ is going to play, KW (his defense sucks) is going to play. Plus, they held UT to 32% from 2, 18% from 3. UT scored because of FT's, a lot of them were very bogus.

I love Saunders BTW. I think he needs more PT, and will probably eventually take it from MAW.
Curious, what has Saunders done to deserve the
props ? He’s quick, can’t shoot from what I’ve
seen. He’ll be ok but for now ????
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #123
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Better for THIS TEAM
I would absolutely take Eliel back in trade for Rap, probably even in exchange for Vogt. A big who can defend and rebound is quite valuable. But many fans are so sick of Cronin's style, it seems they want the antithesis of it, even if that means wracking up more losses.

For the most part I'm still giving Brannen a pass, but he doesn't seem to understand the level of athleticism required from bigs who play at a high level. Vogt, Sorolla, Rap and probably Lahkin are poor athletes. The recruitment of bigs needs a serious upgrade.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #124
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Tari says hello...
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:25 PM   #125
justinhub2003
Epic Member

I think that’s brannen’s biggest learning curve.

Learning that guys like Vogt & Rap work at the mid major level
But not at the high.

He find out that same lesson with Mikey and the twins. Or they might not even contribute until year 3 or 4

Tari is high major talent though.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:33 PM   #126
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Curious, what has Saunders done to deserve the
props ? He’s quick, can’t shoot from what I’ve
seen. He’ll be ok but for now ????
Defends well although still learning. Puts a lot of pressure on the ball. Pushes the pace and has the ability to create easy buckets which this team desperately needs.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:34 PM   #127
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Defends well although still learning. Puts a lot of pressure on the ball. Pushes the pace and has the ability to create easy buckets which this team desperately needs.
My issue with Saunders is... he speeds the point guard up.. usually that’s a good thing. But right now, he speeds them up only for them to just race down 94 feet with a layup. It’s pressure without consequence
Old 12-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #128
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I would absolutely take Eliel back in trade for Rap, probably even in exchange for Vogt. A big who can defend and rebound is quite valuable. But many fans are so sick of Cronin's style, it seems they want the antithesis of it, even if that means wracking up more losses.

For the most part I'm still giving Brannen a pass, but he doesn't seem to understand the level of athleticism required from bigs who play at a high level. Vogt, Sorolla, Rap and probably Lahkin are poor athletes. The recruitment of bigs needs a serious upgrade.
Quote:
I think that’s brannen’s biggest learning curve.

Learning that guys like Vogt & Rap work at the mid major level
But not at the high.

He find out that same lesson with Mikey and the twins. Or they might not even contribute until year 3 or 4

Tari is high major talent though.
So you think he just missed on Tari in thinking he was the slow unathletic type that you think he likes? Or he took Vogt and Rap because they were the best options available?

It's almost as if you forget he had to quickly put together a team and got a late start because Mick left for UCLA late in the game. He is trying to plug folks in. Just look at his latest recruiting class and virtually all of them are good athletes.

The other option is to take extremely raw but athletic big men who wouldn't get off the bench for a couple years. Diarra is a classic example and he still can't get off the bench. Remember all the big but athletic busts that Mick had? It's going to take a bit of time for Brannen to get the exact look he wants.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #129
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
My issue with Saunders is... he speeds the point guard up.. usually that’s a good thing. But right now, he speeds them up only for them to just race down 94 feet with a layup. It’s pressure without consequence
IMO the team has played better on both sides of the ball with him in the game.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #130
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
So you think he just missed on Tari in thinking he was the slow unathletic type that you think he likes? Or he took Vogt and Rap because they were the best options available?

It's almost as if you forget he had to quickly put together a team and got a late start because Mick left for UCLA late in the game. He is trying to plug folks in. Just look at his latest recruiting class and virtually all of them are good athletes.

The other option is to take extremely raw but athletic big men who wouldn't get off the bench for a couple years. Diarra is a classic example and he still can't get off the bench. Remember all the big but athletic busts that Mick had? It's going to take a bit of time for Brannen to get the exact look he wants.

Im saying it’s a learning curve.

I mean, do you feel confident about next years team?

I sure as hell don’t. I think it could be the worst UC team in years if we don’t add high level talent

If we had a top 40 class signed for 2021, I’d feel a whole hell of lot better.

It’s hard to see the vision with:
1. The results on the court
2. The non existent 2021 class
3. A mid major support staff top to bottom

I don’t give blind faith to anyone. But I do check for hints of long term progress. Right now, nothing is making me feel like the future is bright.

It’s not that he won’t. It’s that I have zero evidence

Last edited by justinhub2003; 12-13-2020 at 05:47 PM.