Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-10-2021, 08:09 PM   #91
Lefty

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
On dejulius , yeah, he’s struggling shooting. You could pick apart something from everyone of our players if you want, really any college player, but he rebounds and gets assist and plays hard. I’ll take that.
Agree on DD- love his runner/floater, should use it more IMO.
Harvey playing pretty well, needs to work on strength/explosiveness for
next year. Davenport- not sure he has fast twitch fiber in his body but
generally plays with high IQ. Today, a bad day for him, I thought.
Williams - trying to do too dang much by himself & I put that squarely on CJB. Taking terrible shots, some of which go in. MAW- very disappointed in him. Supported him last year when others discounted. Slow feet,but would like to get him more 3’s, if he squares up & steps into shot.
Today, they didn’t seem to step into the 3 pt shot like last game. Shot it like it was a hot potato & not like Wich St defense was good.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:21 PM   #92
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Agree on DD- love his runner/floater, should use it more IMO.
Harvey playing pretty well, needs to work on strength/explosiveness for
next year. Davenport- not sure he has fast twitch fiber in his body but
generally plays with high IQ. Today, a bad day for him, I thought.
Williams - trying to do too dang much by himself & I put that squarely on CJB. Taking terrible shots, some of which go in. MAW- very disappointed in him. Supported him last year when others discounted. Slow feet,but would like to get him more 3’s, if he squares up & steps into shot.
Today, they didn’t seem to step into the 3 pt shot like last game. Shot it like it was a hot potato & not like Wich St defense was good.
KW has always tried to do too much. That has been the one consistent throughout his career. Even with JC and others it was a black hole when he got the ball...unfortunately he has never had a great feel for the game, has weak handles, and is a terrible passer. He is good in transition and unless his shot is on that is about it.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:06 PM   #93
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
The interior defense on this team is terrible. It's kind of difficult to evaluate how the team might look next season because I'm sure we will have some kind of interior presence. The score could have easily been in the 90s if Wichita St shot better than 25% from three.

Eason is not strong or composed enough to defend the 5, at least not yet. Diarra isn't either. Vogt never has been a rim protector, but Scott made up for that last year.

Small lineups really only work if the small players can defend up a position or create a bunch of turnovers. This team can't do that. I'm still ok with running a small lineup out there because we don't have much of a choice with the current roster. Might as well crank up the pace and try to outscore everyone.

We had our usual silly turnovers, but the passing has been creating a lot of good looks with few stagnant possessions. I'm hopeful that some of these players can be part of a top 25 team in the next couple years if we can get a capable 5.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:29 PM   #94
Lefty

[QUOTE=TheLongHaul;210816]KW has always tried to do too much. That has been the one consistent throughout his career. Even with JC and others it was a black hole when he got the ball...unfortunately he has never had a great feel for the game, has weak handles, and is a terrible passer. He is good in transition and unless his shot is on that is about it.[/QUOTE

Don’t think I agree with that. Rarely shoots unless he’s spitting up for a 3 or in transition. Not like he gets the ball on the wing and takes it to the hole. Did some last year but haven’t seen much this year.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:33 PM   #95
Lefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
The interior defense on this team is terrible. It's kind of difficult to evaluate how the team might look next season because I'm sure we will have some kind of interior presence. The score could have easily been in the 90s if Wichita St shot better than 25% from three.

Eason is not strong or composed enough to defend the 5, at least not yet. Diarra isn't either. Vogt never has been a rim protector, but Scott made up for that last year.

Small lineups really only work if the small players can defend up a position or create a bunch of turnovers. This team can't do that. I'm still ok with running a small lineup out there because we don't have much of a choice with the current roster. Might as well crank up the pace and try to outscore everyone.

We had our usual silly turnovers, but the passing has been creating a lot of good looks with few stagnant possessions. I'm hopeful that some of these players can be part of a top 25 team in the next couple years if we can get a capable 5.
Hard to disagree with any of this.
Pleased with what Madden is showing.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:40 AM   #96
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
KW=shaq Thomas
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:08 AM   #97
Lefty

[quote=Lefty;210818]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
KW has always tried to do too much. That has been the one consistent throughout his career. Even with JC and others it was a black hole when he got the ball...unfortunately he has never had a great feel for the game, has weak handles, and is a terrible passer. He is good in transition and unless his shot is on that is about it.[/QUOTE

Don’t think I agree with that. Rarely shoots unless he’s spitting up for a 3 or in transition. Not like he gets the ball on the wing and takes it to the hole. Did some last year but haven’t seen much this year.
Add.- LongHaul- My fault, thought you were referring to MAW.. I misread.
Pretty much agree with above. Think KW is a willing passer but often not in position to make a good pass. He’s certainly athletic but handles don’t permit him to make great moves to the basket at times (or dish off).
Old 01-11-2021, 09:34 AM   #98
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Let's go

Eason
Davenport
Williams
Harvey
DD

Dou then Vogt off bench for bigs

Hot shooter off the bench MAW or Madsen

This team needs a leader on the floor to calm things down. We look like a young team out there when the pressure turns on.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:53 AM   #99
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Mikey has hit a wall. His game is built on speed but he's turning it over too much. Mason seems very composed out there for a frosh that missed the first 8 games. Surprised he does not look like a deer in headlights. That is a very welcome sight. I know it's very limited minutes and only two games.

We have a speedy PG in DD right now...so adding a shooter seems like a better play at the moment. We have other guys who can handle PG duties.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #100
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Harvey in last 4 games is averaging close to 25pts per 40 minutes. He's not turning it over too much, gets a few rebounds, and plays decent defense. He can shoot and get to the rack. I think it's time to reward him with his first start.