Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-04-2020, 09:03 PM   #111
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
The coach is 100% accountable for who he subs in and out. Not taking Cumberland out and deciding he would leave it up to the player to decide was a huge mistake and cost them dearly. Add to the fact that Mick was crapping his pants during the meltdown which undoubtedly had an effect on the players. The coach had a meltdown, the players reflected the coach. To say Mick had nothing to do with that epic collapse is ridiculous. Why have a coach if they have no control of maintaining a 24 point lead with 12 minutes left?
Amen
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:58 PM   #112
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
The coach is 100% accountable for who he subs in and out. Not taking Cumberland out and deciding he would leave it up to the player to decide was a huge mistake and cost them dearly. Add to the fact that Mick was crapping his pants during the meltdown which undoubtedly had an effect on the players. The coach had a meltdown, the players reflected the coach. To say Mick had nothing to do with that epic collapse is ridiculous. Why have a coach if they have no control of maintaining a 24 point lead with 12 minutes left?

All coaches make mistakes, pretty sure we blew a nice lead vs Colgate, & Bowling Green.

It happens.

I do feel uc was shafted a lot with playing teams who were under seeded.

When we played Kansas state (won) they were a lot higher in kenpom then other 11 seeds. They were 30, we were 23.. didn’t feel like a 6 vs 11 matchup

Harvard was really good that year and under seeded. What kinda 12 seed Is 32 in kenpom?

UCLA had no business being a 3 seed, they were 31-5

Iowa was 36 in kenpom, we were 35... yet it was a 7 vs 10

Nevada was #23 in kenpom and yet a 7 seed
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:23 PM   #113
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
You can add 2012 Texas to that list. They were 32 as an 11 seed.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:01 AM   #114
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
You can add 2012 Texas to that list. They were 32 as an 11 seed.
Creighton was 15 as a 7 seed in 2013.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:32 AM   #115
Union Bearcat

Union Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
All coaches make mistakes, pretty sure we blew a nice lead vs Colgate, & Bowling Green.

It happens.

When we played Kansas state (won) they were a lot higher in kenpom then other 11 seeds. They were 30, we were 23.. didn’t feel like a 6 vs 11 matchup

Harvard was really good that year and under seeded. What kinda 12 seed Is 32 in kenpom?

Using kenpom to say a team is under seeded is silly. Is purdue a 6 seed quality this year because they are 22 in kenpom? Plenty of examples out there that contradict you

Last edited by Union Bearcat; 03-05-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Union Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:24 AM   #116
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Bearcat View Post
Using kenpom to say a team is under seeded is silly. Is purdue a 6 seed quality this year because they are 22 in kenpom? Plenty of examples out there that contradict you
I believe that kenpom is a great metric for our good a team is:

So when I say that they were under seeded, I just mean that on paper it looks like a 6 vs 11 matchup, but when yuh compare the quality of each team, it’s much more of a toss up.

If you look at Xavier’s recent tourney success. They played a lot more over seeded teams or had the luck factory break there way.

We just haven’t gotten that lucky break yet
Old 03-05-2020, 07:35 AM   #117
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

It happens.

You are an excuse machine with anything that involves Mick Cronin, I was a Cronin guy, I defended him until the end and still will defend him, but the guy had his issues... He always complained about seeding or where they were playing like we were the only team getting screwed literally every single year and then get on the mic after every loss and continue to complain about how they should of been playing someone easier, Yes those losses like Nevada do happen, but to say that Nevada loss was not 100% on Mick would be crazy, Mick lost his composure and the players followed. Its unfortunate that we didn't do much in the tourney in 9 years because Mick is a great coach and I don't think he gets anywhere near as much credit as he should and I wish him the best at UCLA but I am all in with JB.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:38 AM   #118
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

It happens.

Once again the real problem here is the seed we go in with. The better the seed the bigger the spread is between you and the team you play. If you go in as a 5+ seed you are going to face some teams that aren't that far off in terms of quality. In general if you want better chances to advance you have to be a top 10 or 15 team. We only did that once in 9 years.

One would hope in 9 years you could squeeze out an Elite 8 or F4 run at least once. But in reality we had only 1 team that had a legit chance to make that happen. And although I disagree slightly with the randomness crowd...if you have 1 chance...randomess has a much better chance of affecting that outcome. If we had 2 or 3 more teams with a protected seed the probability would be we can make something out of at least one of those chances.

It's not easy putting together a top 10 or 15 team in our conference. So we either accept that and live with madness mediocrity or we don't accept that and we attempt to make a change in hopes of finding a better solution. It will be difficult for any coach but not impossible. I am in the camp of trying to get better results even if we risk taking a step back (or two).

We will have to wait and see how it goes.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:49 AM   #119
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
You are an excuse machine with anything that involves Mick Cronin, I was a Cronin guy, I defended him until the end and still will defend him, but the guy had his issues... He always complained about seeding or where they were playing like we were the only team getting screwed literally every single year and then get on the mic after every loss and continue to complain about how they should of been playing someone easier, Yes those losses like Nevada do happen, but to say that Nevada loss was not 100% on Mick would be crazy, Mick lost his composure and the players followed. Its unfortunate that we didn't do much in the tourney in 9 years because Mick is a great coach and I don't think he gets anywhere near as much credit as he should and I wish him the best at UCLA but I am all in with JB.

Dude. I just mentioned the issue with seeding. And that if we’re 6 seed, we’ve generally played the best 11 seed In the field and it’s usually a long way from home.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have won more of those games, but I’m just calling it out using the same metric I’ve been waiting for years.

For example: uc was a 6 seed, entered the tourney as a 22 in kenpom. We played the 11 seed Kansas state, who was 28th heading in that game.

We Xavier, they were an 11 seed that year. They came in with a kenpom of 39. And they played a 6 seeded Maryland who came into that game as a 46 in kenpom.

Xavier was able to be an 11 and play 6 seed who they were 6 spots better. They won by 11

They sent played florida state, who was 26 in kenpom as a 3 seed. We played UCLA, a 3 seed.

That’s just one year too.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #120
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Once again the real problem here is the seed we go in with. The better the seed the bigger the spread is between you and the team you play. If you go in as a 5+ seed you are going to face some teams that aren't that far off in terms of quality. In general if you want better chances to advance you have to be a top 10 or 15 team. We only did that once in 9 years.

One would hope in 9 years you could squeeze out an Elite 8 or F4 run at least once. But in reality we had only 1 team that had a legit chance to make that happen. And although I disagree slightly with the randomness crowd...if you have 1 chance...randomess has a much better chance of affecting that outcome. If we had 2 or 3 more teams with a protected seed the probability would be we can make something out of at least one of those chances.

It's not easy putting together a top 10 or 15 team in our conference. So we either accept that and live with madness mediocrity or we don't accept that and we attempt to make a change in hopes of finding a better solution. It will be difficult for any coach but not impossible. I am in the camp of trying to get better results even if we risk taking a step back (or two).

We will have to wait and see how it goes.

Just an FYI... in the last 10 year. 5 teams out of 40 made the final four from a non power league. One was UConn who made it with big East players.

That’s a 12.5% chance to make the final foul from our league in a 10 year sample size.

Final fours are hard. I don’t have expect one from CJB. Because it’s silly.