Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-11-2020, 01:23 PM   #61
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
A lot of buzz going around about Jalen Tate from NKU has UC at the top of his list as a potential grad transfer possibility next year. Makes sense due to his relationship to JB and his knowledge of the offense, he's also an ohio guy. He would make a nice addition as a bench player or potential starter with what we are losing next year playing the wing and or point. He's a lot like Jaevin just with a much different skill set. My only thing is he's already one of the best players in the Horizon and I am sure he wants to step up in competition. As we have seen with Jaevin it doesn't always work out like that. I personally wouldn't mind having him, his stats wont wow you especially his 18% from 3 this year but then use the other scholarship(s) on a big guy or big guys.

FYI, he was NKU de facto point guar at 6'6 and was the MVP of the Horizon tourney . He could help bridge the gap with Adams Woods and Saunders next year as well as play some 2 and 3.

Last edited by cincyalum2014; 03-11-2020 at 01:27 PM.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:51 PM   #62
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
A lot of buzz going around about Jalen Tate from NKU has UC at the top of his list as a potential grad transfer possibility next year. Makes sense due to his relationship to JB and his knowledge of the offense, he's also an ohio guy. He would make a nice addition as a bench player or potential starter with what we are losing next year playing the wing and or point. He's a lot like Jaevin just with a much different skill set. My only thing is he's already one of the best players in the Horizon and I am sure he wants to step up in competition. As we have seen with Jaevin it doesn't always work out like that. I personally wouldn't mind having him, his stats wont wow you especially his 18% from 3 this year but then use the other scholarship(s) on a big guy or big guys.

FYI, he was NKU de facto point guar at 6'6 and was the MVP of the Horizon tourney . He could help bridge the gap with Adams Woods and Saunders next year as well as play some 2 and 3.
I would take him in a heartbeat. He would fill a lot of needs for next season. His 3-point shooting has taken a huge dip this season (from 41% to 18%) but he has won 70+ games as a full-time starter and his familiarity/relationship with Brannen could prove invaluable.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #63
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think the biggest difference between him and Jaevin is Jaevin is very 1 dimensional. He can shoot really well, but his dribbling, passing and definitely defense are below average.

Jalen was defensive player of the year and at 6'6" he has the ability to guard 1-3 and If he spends time in the monster factory probably put on 10+ pounds(which he needs)

He can handle the ball and he knows the offense.

Think about it this way...We would replace Trevor Moores senior year with Jalen Tates...
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:22 PM   #64
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

UC has also reached out to 6'10 Center Evan Cole from Georgia Tech.

Started 7 of his 24 games played this year at GT.

Stats wont wow you, he is more of a stretch big man, very very different than Vogt.

His rebound/minute rate was highest among scholarship players. Often crashing the glass for put backs and a lot of cutting to the basket, can also step out and shoot the ball.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #65
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
I think the biggest difference between him and Jaevin is Jaevin is very 1 dimensional. He can shoot really well, but his dribbling, passing and definitely defense are below average.

Jalen was defensive player of the year and at 6'6" he has the ability to guard 1-3 and If he spends time in the monster factory probably put on 10+ pounds(which he needs)

He can handle the ball and he knows the offense.

Think about it this way...We would replace Trevor Moores senior year with Jalen Tates...
Sign me up! Sounds like a Jareau type. Long with ball skills can't shoot the 3 well but can score everywhere else. Knows the system. Defends well. Rebounds well. Maybe Brannen can bring his 3 ball back to life. Put some muscle weight on the kid and it seems like a no brainer to me.

Then focus on a transfer big and maybe a late bloomer HS kid
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #66
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Stats wont wow you, he is more of a stretch big man, very very different than Vogt.

His rebound/minute rate was highest among scholarship players. Often crashing the glass for put backs and a lot of cutting to the basket, can also step out and shoot the ball.
Averaged 12.6 mmpg at GT this year and had this to say:
"“I’m just looking for more consistent minutes and a bigger role,” Cole said."

Can we really offer that with Vogt and Dou?

Seems like a decent player though, just don't know we would have him on the floor more than 15 mins?
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #67
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post

Seems like a decent player though, just don't know we would have him on the floor more than 15 mins?
That's why I think it will be really hard to get a grad transfer big. We have Dou and Vogt taking a bulk of the minutes and a grad transfer in his last year wants to play and play a lot. I think Juco could be a better possibility with Vogt being a senior next year and then a freshman big guy to sit for a bit. Could have another scholarship open too depending on what happens with Prince.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #68
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

If they are big, mobile, and can make a lay up or dunk, I’m in. Rather not another Vogt. I like Vogt but 1 guy that can’t move is enough.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #69
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post

With Vogt falling off a cliff, And diarra being unpredictable, yes you can probably offer a lot of playing time. We only have those two. Eason is a freshmen and could probably play the wing. Any transfer would get plenty of minutes. If they are decent.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #70
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Im pretty sure the idea is the play dou at the 4. I think I remember that being said somewhere
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote