Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 09-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #901
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PakMan View Post
....but to say Sanders should play over him is like saying you should hit on the fat chick because you know she'll say yes.
Ok that is so offensive ....and so damn funny! And in reality so true! Any team that relies on sanders to be more than the 9th-10th option is a team that will not compete for a national championship.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #902
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PakMan View Post
I guess there's multiple ways of looking at it. I would rather see Shaq being aggressive, beating his man one-on-one and missing shots he should make than seeing Jermaine Sanders being his steady, slow self. This team has had too many years of "serviceable" guys like Sanders. If he's your 8th or 9th guy, then OK. But we're talking starter minutes? I'd rather have someone who can potentially change a game, can break a defense down, forcing them to rotate and adjust, potentially creating put backs and good looks for others.

And his on-ball defense is actually pretty good from what I've seen. I remember him playing the opposing team's best scorer on several occasions when Guyn wasn't in.

Obviously, I'm a fan of Shaq and am willing to be more patient with him than others are. I can understand the disappointment with him...shit, I'm disappointed in his development....but to say Sanders should play over him is like saying you should hit on the fat chick because you know she'll say yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Shaq is not a bad defender. I really don't know where some people get that from. If he was a bad defender, he would not have averaged 23 minutes last season and Mick would have played a lot more 3-guard line-ups. He has mental lapses on occasion, but he gives good effort and has the athleticism and length to make up for most of his errors. He certainly could be a lot better, as there really is no part of his game he has come close to reaching his potential with. Don't know if he'll ever reach it, but he'll make some noise these last 2 years.
Shaq's on the ball defense isn't bad, but he gets lost off the ball and doesn't always switch well. And alot of the times he gets burned back down court in transition when he's the guy hanging back. There's a lot more to Mick's defense than defending when your guy has the ball. And pakman to your point about rather having Shaq beat his man and miss a bunny and create offensive rebounding opportunities than have Sanders in there makes no sense. You can give anybody on a team a shot and they can miss it and that will create a offensive rebounding opportunity. The simple fact is the reason we are always a good offensive rebounding team is the amount of missed shots we have. I won't suggest we don't crash the boards well, because we do, but when you make your shots then you don't need to crash the boards. And rebounding Sanders is probably the most underrated guy on the team. He knows how to box out and is always in position for rebounds. He outrebounded Shaq on the defensive end and the offensive end in less minutes played. He also had more assists and way less turnovers. Shaq scored more but not to make up for the points he gives up on D. And in conference play Sanders numbers match-up even better. I get it that Shaq has a higher ceiling and that is why Mick has played him as much as he has. But the numbers don't lie and neither do my eyes and I'd rather have a role player like Sanders getting minutes over Shaq when there are other guys that you can rely on to score. This year I think we'll have plenty of guys that can score. I'll take a guy like Sanders doing the thankless dirty work.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #903
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Ok that is so offensive ....and so damn funny! And in reality so true! Any team that relies on sanders to be more than the 9th-10th option is a team that will not compete for a national championship.
I could agree to that. The problem with a statement like that is it suggests another player would help us compete for a national championship and Sanders is the one holding us back. I know that's not the point you were trying to make but just trying to create debate. In reality we've never had the talent to compete for a national championship under Mick so singling out one player doesn't address that issue. And based on the running debate, does relying on a guy like Shaq help us compete for a national championship? The question at hand is rather Shaq offers you more than Sanders does all-in-all. I say based on everything I've seen up to this point he doesn't. I like Shaq and hope he can reach his potential. Until he does though he can be a serious liability on the floor at times. And teams that compete for national championships don't give starter minutes to guys that are serious liabilities.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:09 AM   #904
lovecats

lovecats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I could agree to that. The problem with a statement like that is it suggests another player would help us compete for a national championship and Sanders is the one holding us back. I know that's not the point you were trying to make but just trying to create debate. In reality we've never had the talent to compete for a national championship under Mick so singling out one player doesn't address that issue. And based on the running debate, does relying on a guy like Shaq help us compete for a national championship? The question at hand is rather Shaq offers you more than Sanders does all-in-all. I say based on everything I've seen up to this point he doesn't. I like Shaq and hope he can reach his potential. Until he does though he can be a serious liability on the floor at times. An teams that compete for national championships don't give starter minutes to guys that are serious liabilities.
jermaine sanders being a liability is a joke you must of forgot he helped us alot of games with big shots take away his shots we could of lost more games.And for the record he has took teams to alot damn championship before college and oh he helped the bearcats win also.So no he is not athletic not fancy but as far as I have seen when does that alone win championships? but yes being a team player making big shots getting rebounds playing the way the coaches want does,look at the national champs resume and I bet you athletic kids can not do it alone fool.Only liability is you making comments like that when you should be supporting the kid and the program.

Last edited by lovecats; 09-15-2014 at 01:11 AM.
lovecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #905
Basketball.com
Banned

Basketball.com is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecats View Post
jermaine sanders being a liability is a joke you must of forgot he helped us alot of games with big shots take away his shots we could of lost more games.And for the record he has took teams to alot damn championship before college and oh he helped the bearcats win also.So no he is not athletic not fancy but as far as I have seen when does that alone win championships? but yes being a team player making big shots getting rebounds playing the way the coaches want does,look at the national champs resume and I bet you athletic kids can not do it alone fool.Only liability is you making comments like that when you should be supporting the kid and the program.

Well said, I love it. Just root for the Bearcats.
Basketball.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #906
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketball.com View Post
Well said, I love it. Just root for the Bearcats.
Well said??? Really??? Did we read the same post. Trying to read that gave me a headache. This site continues to go downhill.
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #907
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
You're new here, so let me first say name calling isn't tolerated. Secondly I think you need to reread the forum and reread my statement and realize what I said and who I was saying it about. Thirdly don't ever question my loyalty and support for this team. I support the program, the coach and the all the players. I do it with my time and my money. I don't boo our players at games like some fans and try to be as positive as I can. What I will do is get on a forum and critique players as that is what forums are for. Although more often than not I am very positve with my statements. When I do critique a player it is usually in response to a running thread.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #908
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
First of all, we welcome debate but calling someone a fool and making things personal isnt a good way to start things out. You might want to check that.

Secondly, Jermaine Sanders is what he is. I was one who thought he'd be better, he is at least solid, but he is a solid role player. He's going to hit some shots, and he is going to play soundly, but he is what he is. However, that's not a bad thing. Teams need players like Jermaine Sanders and I'm glad he's part of this team. He does whatever is asked of him and is a good example to the younger players on this squad.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #909
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
First of all, we welcome debate but calling someone a fool and making things personal isnt a good way to start things out. You might want to check that.

Secondly, Jermaine Sanders is what he is. I was one who thought he'd be better, he is at least solid, but he is a solid role player. He's going to hit some shots, and he is going to play soundly, but he is what he is. However, that's not a bad thing. Teams need players like Jermaine Sanders and I'm glad he's part of this team. He does whatever is asked of him and is a good example to the younger players on this squad.
agree on Jermaine, Jeff. Every team needs role players like him.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:31 AM   #910
TrillCosby

TrillCosby is on a distinguished road
I think Sanders is poised for a big year, possibly averaging 10-12ppg. He is in the best shape of his life and has a lot of experience. He is very steady and has Mick's trust. Like others have said, he is what you want in a role player.
TrillCosby is offline   Reply With Quote