Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #11
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I think every knows by now that I am a big Diarra fan (and not so much of a Vogt fan). Diarra has played very well pretty much every game since the game @Xavier. He still makes a boneheaded play every now and then, but he seems to have turned the corner to being a net positive player. I said at the beginning of the year that he is our most important player to develop if we are going to win in March and I still believe that. Diarra's elite athleticism is rare at the NCAA level (because guys with Diarra's combination of size and athleticism who have basketball skills are in the NBA). If he can give 15 minutes of high energy, elite defense and rebounding, while not making mistakes on offense, it will make a big difference in close games.

He plays hard, defends at an extremely high level and seems to have the right attitude. Brannen said on the radio show that he has earned the minutes and will continue to get them (he said more as a 4, but I anticipate him taking some of Sorolla's minutes as well).

As a side-note, I'd like to see us play the "huge" lineup sometime. Vogt center, Scott PF, Diarra SF, Williams SG, Jarron PG. We'd lack in ball handling, but it would be very tough for other teams to score and rebound against us. Probably wouldn't go very well, but would be fun to watch.
The monster lineup of...

C-Vogt
PF- Sorolla
SF- Tre Scott
SG- Diarra
PG-Jarron

Jarron shoots every shot and the 4 other players crash the boards. This lineup would be an absolute shit show but would be funny to watch and at this point how the season is going you can't help but laugh at times.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Count me out on the monster lineup.

I like Vogt in for scoring and Scott for rebounds. But we can't run the motion with 4 bigs who can't dribble and one who can't or won't pass the ball.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #13
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Count me out on the monster lineup.

I like Vogt in for scoring and Scott for rebounds. But we can't run the motion with 4 bigs who can't dribble and one who can't or won't pass the ball.
was more of a joke..... Id never want that line up
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
was more of a joke..... Id never want that line up
I figured it was not serious...but there were a couple of posts that mentioned it so I thought there was at least a small inkling to try out a lineup with more than 2 bigs. If we had some bigs that could dribble or play make...I might be interested. Say like Tari Eason as a 3 next year in some instances with a 5 and a 4 on the court
Old 01-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #15
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
At some point, somebody(Players only) needs to emerge as THE LEADER! From the classroom to the court.

Seems like nobody wants to take over the game in this open offense. The Defense has been decent enough to keep us in games, but with no offensive leadership, we will continue to see winnable games slip away.

We jacked up 27 3 point shots last game. If we make half of those 3pt attempts as 2 pt buckets, we win by double figures easy.

Hope these wing guys quit test driving this offense. Take control to be in control which takes leaders and risk takers at this point.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #16
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
At some point, somebody(Players only) needs to emerge as THE LEADER! From the classroom to the court.

Seems like nobody wants to take over the game in this open offense. The Defense has been decent enough to keep us in games, but with no offensive leadership, we will continue to see winnable games slip away.

We jacked up 27 3 point shots last game. If we make half of those 3pt attempts as 2 pt buckets, we win by double figures easy.

Hope these wing guys quit test driving this offense. Take control to be in control which takes leaders and risk takers at this point.
Yep, at some point players have to have pride, and say I’m not losing this game. Stop giving the other team the ball, make free throws, and go get a rebound. These thing are not coaching. It’s doing what it takes to win a game. I remember when cronin would take about Kenyon and those guys wanting to fight each other after a loss. You just don’t see that fire.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #17
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Yep, at some point players have to have pride, and say I’m not losing this game. Stop giving the other team the ball, make free throws, and go get a rebound. These thing are not coaching. It’s doing what it takes to win a game. I remember when cronin would take about Kenyon and those guys wanting to fight each other after a loss. You just don’t see that fire.
I like Brannen but I am NOT giving him a free ride. Most of that stuff IS coaching or coach-able and we saw that with Cronin (and I am not an apologist). The coach can get his team to do the things he wants them to do by using the bench or any other means necessary. Sometimes we felt Cronin did too much of that but he did get results. I want a healthy mix of overbearing dad and supportive dad.

If nothing else we need to tighten the screws in crunch time. If you turn it over (unnecessarily) you need to come out (in crunch time). Our free lancing has lead to a lot of turnovers when the game is on the line. Tighten the screws just a little at the end of games.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #18
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I feel like we have a good chance against anyone with Jarron at PG. Also if we stop shooting early/mid clock mid to long range jumpers. If we are under 5 seconds on the clock go ahead and let it fly if you must. Also Scott and McNeal no more 3 pointers unless 5 seconds or less on clock with ball in hand. If we haven't gotten a good look with 7-10 seconds left get the ball back in Jarron's hands. Lower turnover avg by 2-3 per game. Keep feeding the paint and crashing boards.

That's it...we can still make the dance with that formula. Wasted possessions from TO's or poor shot selection have been the majority of our downfall. We can get back 5-10 wasted possessions per game if we follow this formula. If we lose on a poor shooting night...so be it
Old 01-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

We have the #1 remaining SOS in conference. That is both good and bad. We need the quality wins but they will be hard to get. Win all home games would be a great start. If we drop the road games at Houston and WSU we are still in good shape sitting on 4 losses. Likely we could spare one more loss in there somewhere. I don't think 6 losses gets us in
Old 01-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #20
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
We have the #1 remaining SOS in conference. That is both good and bad. We need the quality wins but they will be hard to get. Win all home games would be a great start. If we drop the road games at Houston and WSU we are still in good shape sitting on 4 losses. Likely we could spare one more loss in there somewhere. I don't think 6 losses gets us in
Per T-rank...Temple on the road is the next hardest game we have left after Houston and WSU road games (each +6 pts or higher). T-rank has Temple as +0.4 pt favorites which makes it a virtual toss up. Gotta go get this one...