Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #101
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
I dont think its mental. Hes just not good. Hes a 6 year career 28% shooter from 3. Im not yelling for Harvey to play more, Im yelling for Mcneal to play less. However that works. If that means play MAW in foul trouble or play Dou at the 1. I dont care, but Mcneal cant be on the floor for any extended periods.
I've said McNeal doesn't belong on the floor. But unfortunately Davenport belongs on the floor less and Harvey belongs on the floor even less. Brannen needs to play someone.

I think Davenport could start to win the minutes later in the season (he can at least hit a three). But right now in games where we need a sub who can handle the ball, there are no bench options besides McNeal. In games where Brannen wants a guy off the bench who can provide good defense, there are no bench options at guard besides McNeal.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #102
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Diarra has been an excellent defender and rebounder all season. He was terrible on the offensive end, but I felt he could figure it out relatively quickly. He's a third year player and was much more likely to make the jump in understanding (which he has). Not only that, but his combination of size/athleticism allows him to recover from mistakes.

Harvey is a good athlete, but not close to Diarra's level. He lacks in all three phases of the game (offense, defense, rebounding). You can play a guy who lacks in one phase (such as Diarra, McNeal, Jaevin and Vogt at times), but you can't play a guy who lacks in a all three. Harvey will get there eventually, but I see no reason to think it will be this season.
Diarra was every bit as bad at the beginning of the year. You just didn’t see it. He was one of the worst players on the team. The fact that you don’t think an 18 year can improve But you had all the faith in the world in diarra is strange but not surprising.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #103
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
28% is bad, but he's not an 11% 3 point shooter which is what he is this year.

obviously nobody wants a 28% 3 point shooter hoisting up 3's either, which is also why nobody should ever want Scott to take a 2 point jumper (Mcneal shooting 28% has a higher expected value than Scott shooting a 2 point jumper, think about that).
This is my main point too. He has never been this bad...but we have had plenty of players shooting 28% or in that range for a year and they never stopped shooting. 28% would be a major deal with McNeal...suddenly he can take the last second shot clock 3 ball if open. He can't do that at 11%.

Dion Dixon shot 26% on 5 threes a game his senior year and was a career 29%. There are others who shot around or below 30% with a shorter 3 line
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #104
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

Dion Dixon shot 26% on 5 threes a game his senior year and was a career 29%. There are others who shot around or below 30% with a shorter 3 line
and those guys shouldn't have been allowed to shoot. at least back then we loaded up 2 bigs on the block so we could get offensive boards.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #105
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is my main point too. He has never been this bad...but we have had plenty of players shooting 28% or in that range for a year and they never stopped shooting. 28% would be a major deal with McNeal...suddenly he can take the last second shot clock 3 ball if open. He can't do that at 11%.

McNeal isn’t even hitting the rim. The other teams know that and makes it very hard to play offense when they don’t have to guard him.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #106
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
McNeal isn’t even hitting the rim. The other teams know that and makes it very hard to play offense when they don’t have to guard him.
Hitting the rim would be a good start...lol
Old 01-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #107
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hitting the rim would be a good start...lol
every time he launches one i think this has to be the one that falls. and then it just never does.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #108
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
and those guys shouldn't have been allowed to shoot. at least back then we loaded up 2 bigs on the block so we could get offensive boards.
30% from three is right there with 45% from 2. To your other point about Scott. In the paint and short range you take it all day long...but if you are about to shoot a mid range jumper...I would take a 30% 3 pt guy every time
Old 01-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #109
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Diarra was every bit as bad at the beginning of the year. You just didn’t see it. He was one of the worst players on the team. The fact that you don’t think an 18 year can improve But you had all the faith in the world in diarra is strange but not surprising.
Or perhaps I am just better at evaluating players. I was correct on Diarra. Diarra was one of the best defenders and rebounders on the team at the beginning of the year. He only had to figure it out on offense.

I think Harvey can improve, I just don't think it will happen this season (or at least not enough for him to deserve minutes). We are at mid-season and he still can't do anything right, the chances that he will figure out everything by March are slim-to-none. I think his injury last January that caused him to miss all of spring ball (and some of our summer practices) set him back a lot.

Last edited by skyblade; 01-10-2020 at 10:04 AM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #110
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Or perhaps I am just better at evaluating players. I was correct on Diarra. Diarra was one of the best defenders and rebounders on the team at the beginning of the year. He only had to figure it out on offense.

I think Harvey can improve, I just don't think it will happen this season (or at least not enough for him to deserve minutes). We are at mid-season and he still can't do anything right, the chances that he will figure out everything by March are slim-to-none. I think his injury last January that caused him to miss all of spring ball (and some of our summer practices) set him back a lot.
oh god. dont be that guy
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote