Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #451
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
In Cronin's system the value of Brooks over Diara or Eliel was significant. If Brooks was option 1A then the other two were tied at option 3A and B. There was really no clear option 2.

In Brannen's system the value of Brooks over Diara is probably going to be quite a bit less and Diara's value over Eliel quite a bit more. I think Diara moves up to clear option 2. I am not even sure Eliel is going to be option 3 because of small ball options or having a guy like Gillam move Scott over to the 5 before we would trot Eliel out there.

Even if we don't retain Brooks and we don't land a transfer big who can shoot...we may have all the options we need. A lot of that depends on Brannen's evaluation of Diara I guess or even Gillam.

We are likely not getting a transfer who would be as valuable as Brooks. We might not even find one who is better than Diara as a fit for the system. We have depth at the 4 and 5 already (even without Brooks) and certainly with the options of playing smaller.

So Brannen may feel like he can wait on Brooks (as Jhub explained). But he has to feel comfortable with the backup plans on the current roster. There is not a lot to go on with guys like Diara, Eliel, Gillam, or Hardnett. Hell there is not a lot to go on for our small ball options either with Johnson and Curtis and Moore etc.
I doubt Brooks is any less valuable in Brannen's system. Fans seem to be obsessed with having a 5 who can shoot. But the value a shooting 5 can provide is pretty minimal compared to having a big who can be a force on the boards and both ends, a rim protector, a defender and an option on pick-and-rolls. Not to mention, for all the hate on Brooks he actually had a pretty good 15 foot and in shot.

Compare that to Diarra who looked lost on the court on both ends throughout the season.

Small ball and shooting 5's is the true mid-major option. Teams do it not because the want to, but because they can't recruit the guys with the size and athleticism to play a true center. Look at the NBA, Houston starting and backup centers don't shoot 3's, the Warriors Draymond Green shoots under 30%.

I also don't think Diarra will be a clear option one if Brooks leaves. Nsoseme was injured throughout the year last year. His better understanding of the game and better rebounding will likely get him just as much if not more court time as Diarra unless Diarra makes a big jump this off-season.

Either way, Brooks going leaves a big void. Brooks was on pace to be a star next year and clearly belong on the court last year, the other two were guys we would hope could buy some minutes and not be a disaster.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:18 AM   #452
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In Cronin's system the value of Brooks over Diara or Eliel was significant. If Brooks was option 1A then the other two were tied at option 3A and B. There was really no clear option 2.

In Brannen's system the value of Brooks over Diara is probably going to be quite a bit less and Diara's value over Eliel quite a bit more. I think Diara moves up to clear option 2. I am not even sure Eliel is going to be option 3 because of small ball options or having a guy like Gillam move Scott over to the 5 before we would trot Eliel out there.

Even if we don't retain Brooks and we don't land a transfer big who can shoot...we may have all the options we need. A lot of that depends on Brannen's evaluation of Diara I guess or even Gillam.

We are likely not getting a transfer who would be as valuable as Brooks. We might not even find one who is better than Diara as a fit for the system. We have depth at the 4 and 5 already (even without Brooks) and certainly with the options of playing smaller.

So Brannen may feel like he can wait on Brooks (as Jhub explained). But he has to feel comfortable with the backup plans on the current roster. There is not a lot to go on with guys like Diara, Eliel, Gillam, or Hardnett. Hell there is not a lot to go on for our small ball options either with Johnson and Curtis and Moore etc.
I think it will be Diarra 1A and Prince will be 2. Prince is a very talented player and has great skills for a "big". He is on the smaller side, if he was 6'10 he would be playing somewhere much bigger than UC. I don't really know much about Laquill so I cant speak to much on his style of play. I don't see Nsoseme really flourishing in JB's system but he plays very hard so he will find some minutes. I like Brooks a lot and think he made a huge improvement this year so it would suck to see him leave regardless of how he fits in the system, he is an excellent rim protector and if JB is looking to play faster you need a guy like Brooks back to protect the rim.

Also saw Jarron was not invited to the NBA combine but was invited to the G league combine with Luke Maye and Tyus Jones and others. We all know he most likely wont be drafted but if he performs well in this combine and gets a G league shot I think he's gone.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #453
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
I would be shocked if he isn’t gone. Doesn’t The G league pay something like 35 grand with housing I& insurance benefits? I mean, if he stayed another year at UC he’ll get less NBA-focused training and no money. If his goal is to play in the NBA, it seems like going straight to the minor leagues beats staying in college
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #454
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
I would be shocked if he isn’t gone. Doesn’t The G league pay something like 35 grand with housing I& insurance benefits? I mean, if he stayed another year at UC he’ll get less NBA-focused training and no money. If his goal is to play in the NBA, it seems like going straight to the minor leagues beats staying in college
He'd make much more overseas than $35K
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #455
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I doubt Brooks is any less valuable in Brannen's system. Fans seem to be obsessed with having a 5 who can shoot. But the value a shooting 5 can provide is pretty minimal compared to having a big who can be a force on the boards and both ends, a rim protector, a defender and an option on pick-and-rolls. Not to mention, for all the hate on Brooks he actually had a pretty good 15 foot and in shot.

Compare that to Diarra who looked lost on the court on both ends throughout the season.

Small ball and shooting 5's is the true mid-major option. Teams do it not because the want to, but because they can't recruit the guys with the size and athleticism to play a true center. Look at the NBA, Houston starting and backup centers don't shoot 3's, the Warriors Draymond Green shoots under 30%.

I also don't think Diarra will be a clear option one if Brooks leaves. Nsoseme was injured throughout the year last year. His better understanding of the game and better rebounding will likely get him just as much if not more court time as Diarra unless Diarra makes a big jump this off-season.

Either way, Brooks going leaves a big void. Brooks was on pace to be a star next year and clearly belong on the court last year, the other two were guys we would hope could buy some minutes and not be a disaster.
I don't think Brooks loses value in Brannen's system only that Diara gains value. And he may have been lost in the system but I wonder what an easier system would do for him mainly on defense.

But his rebound numbers and block numbers per 40 minutes were roughly identical to Brooks and for that matter Nsoseme. Brooks fouled a lot more than both of them though.

Now this is small sample stuff and I think Brooks is obviously the candidate we could count on here. He would still be option 1A. Just saying...Diara is an athletic freak. Even if he can't box out he is going to grab his rebounds. Even if he's out of position he's going to get his blocks. It would be preferred that he is boxing out and in position so everything else doesn't break down. But maybe Brannen's system or coaching style can help Diara simplify things.

Maybe not
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:22 AM   #456
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
He'd make much more overseas than $35K
Yah...I don't see the point in going G league. SK worked his damn tail off just to get a sniff of the real deal. Cumberland hasn't shown that type of work ethic so I think overseas would be not only higher paying but an easier gig. I am not saying Cumberland doesn't work hard...but SK was going to put in every ounce of energy he had to making his dream a reality. And he did that even if for a fleeting moment...and it still wasn't enough in the end.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #457
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yah...I don't see the point in going G league. SK worked his damn tail off just to get a sniff of the real deal. Cumberland hasn't shown that type of work ethic so I think overseas would be not only higher paying but an easier gig. I am not saying Cumberland doesn't work hard...but SK was going to put in every ounce of energy he had to making his dream a reality. And he did that even if for a fleeting moment...and it still wasn't enough in the end.
SK was also 24 when he left college, I think Jarron is 21? In the eyes of the NBA that's old. I think if Jarron's main goal is to get to the NBA he needs to leave now. As much as I would love for him to stay, he does nothing by coming back other than improving his legacy at UC and breaking some records. He will not be a first round pick next year and if he's drafted in the 2nd round its still not a guaranteed contract and he will just be another year older. The window to get into the NBA is extremally small for guys like Jarron and SK.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #458
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
SK was also 24 when he left college, I think Jarron is 21? In the eyes of the NBA that's old. I think if Jarron's main goal is to get to the NBA he needs to leave now. As much as I would love for him to stay, he does nothing by coming back other than improving his legacy at UC and breaking some records. He will not be a first round pick next year and if he's drafted in the 2nd round its still not a guaranteed contract and he will just be another year older. The window to get into the NBA is extremally small for guys like Jarron and SK.
I tend to agree. He could come back and slim down and work on ball skills or something else but he can do that somewhere else too if he WANTS to. But I don't know a guy better than Rehfeldt to get his body in tip top shape. If Brannen can sell him on helping his skills who knows.

It's a tough sell but there is at least an outside chance to improve his stock. I think he's probably been told by NBA scouts he's not the most athletic guy and he's flat footed etc. Needs to improve lateral quickness etc. Rehfeldt can help him do that as well as anyone and he can become a legend here while getting that done.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #459
waterhead
Senior Moderator

If Jarron comes back this year and still plans to eat chicken nuggets and fries he may as well leave. If he comes back dedicated to getting his body in tip top shape I think his stock goes up.

There are also places he can improve his game. Ball skills and improving is 2 point % could help him get to 22 plus ppg.

As of right now...he's just not there for the NBA. He can shoot the ball from deep and he can pass the ball but he's not a great defender and he's not good enough to take over a game in the NBA over other players currently there.

To get in round 1 he has to be much more athletic and he's got to be an absolute nightmare on offense. The question becomes is he up for the challenge or would he rather just start making money and have some fun overseas. I don't think the G league will do him any favors unless he does the things he could be doing here.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #460
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Looks like we are looking at a kid Chris Maidoh. 6' 10" and seems to be a kid similar to a Diara mold. No offer yet from us as far as I can tell but a late bloomer 2019 guy. Seems to run and jump like a deer and from what it sounds like can at least hit a 3. Length for blocks looks real good. Looks like he might be able to dribble a little too. Doesn't look like he has a polished inside game but he can run the court extremely well.

From the videos out there he seems to check off a lot of boxes. Needs weight training but so does Diara. Seems like a very excitable guy! If Brooks should decide to go I would have no problem putting him on the squad right now.

I'm actually impressed