Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Conference Predictions

The team is still growing but we have a better view of who we are now.

Most computers have us finishing 12-6 and that sounds about right. I think this team is good enough to get an upset or two at home against Louisville, Memphis, and UCONN but I also expect us to drop a couple road games against middle tier teams like SMU, temple, and Houston.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
BearcatMick
Elite Member

BearcatMick is an unknown quantity at this point
Two conference losses.

Don't think we lose more than 2 barring injury
Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatMick View Post
Two conference losses.

I hope your right but think your off this team is good but not that good, 6 loses for me.
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
I will say between 11 and 13 wins. Anything more and I'll be very happy and anything less I'll be disappointed.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
Ken Pomeroy ran 10,000 simulations for who would win each conference on his blog. Here are the results:

29. AAC

The pick: Louisville. I’m not sure how much Chane Behanan’s dismissal affects these numbers. He was effective when he played, but he wasn’t playing as much as last season. Pitino has rarely played small this season, so it figures that Mangok Mathiang will be asked to do more. Draw your own conclusions.

The contrarian pick: Memphis. It’s either the Tigers or UConn for this honor, and the computer says Memphis is looking more like the second-best team, which I’m not sure agrees with the general consensus. I’m never good about gauging that kind of thing.

Louisville 7239
Memphis 1474
Connecticut 579
Cincinnati 467
SMU 227
Temple 12
UCF 1

And here are the projected standings at the end of the year after every team has played one conference game:

UofL: 16-2
Mem: 13-5
UC: 12-6
UConn: 10-8
SMU: 10-8
Temple: 7-11
UCF: 6-12
USF: 5-13
Houston: 5-13
Rutgers: 5-13
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
Ken Pomeroy ran 10,000 simulations for who would win each conference on his blog. Here are the results:

29. AAC

The pick: Louisville. I’m not sure how much Chane Behanan’s dismissal affects these numbers. He was effective when he played, but he wasn’t playing as much as last season. Pitino has rarely played small this season, so it figures that Mangok Mathiang will be asked to do more. Draw your own conclusions.

The contrarian pick: Memphis. It’s either the Tigers or UConn for this honor, and the computer says Memphis is looking more like the second-best team, which I’m not sure agrees with the general consensus. I’m never good about gauging that kind of thing.

Louisville 7239
Memphis 1474
Connecticut 579
Cincinnati 467
SMU 227
Temple 12
UCF 1

And here are the projected standings at the end of the year after every team has played one conference game:

UofL: 16-2
Mem: 13-5
UC: 12-6
UConn: 10-8
SMU: 10-8
Temple: 7-11
UCF: 6-12
USF: 5-13
Houston: 5-13
Rutgers: 5-13
I typically am a numbers guy but Louisville is currently #1 in KenPom which is probably why they won over 70% of the simulations. However, I don't think they are that good. They could easily still win the league but I don't see it being by 3 games like he projects. I actually would pick Memphis to win the AAC at the moment.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #7
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatMick View Post
Two conference losses.

it's on record! BearcatMick actually predicted UC to lose a game.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
I typically am a numbers guy but Louisville is currently #1 in KenPom which is probably why they won over 70% of the simulations. However, I don't think they are that good. They could easily still win the league but I don't see it being by 3 games like he projects. I actually would pick Memphis to win the AAC at the moment.
Based on what I've read recently, you don't learn nearly as much from teams when they play lesser competition as you do when they play solid to good competition. And while Louisville has actually played a schedule that rates as more difficult than UC's, they have only played 4 games against top 100 teams and lost to the 2 name brands (their 2 wins were beat downs though).

So maybe they aren't the best team in the country. But I think its fair to say that they are the best team in the conference. And since every team plays each other twice, I'd say they are the clear favorite (but that doesn't mean they would win the conference 72% of the time).
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
UConn loses for the second time in a row going down to SMU.
Bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #10
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
By seasons end SMU will be a solid win as will todays.?
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote