Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2019 Recruiting Profiles

Old 01-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #121
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat513 View Post
What do Bob Huggins and his teams have anything to do with Gaffney?
Yo may want to read the thread.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #122
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Jake I will refer you to Mr. Chad Brendel. He has make it clear on many occasions that conference affiliation is huge. If you chose not to value his opinion that is certainly your choice. As someone who has first hand knowledge of many things associated with recruiting I put a lot of weight on his information.

It's also not just conference it's sports apparel affiliation.

I'm not saying we can't get good players but it is a big impediment to landing players. Our success only goes to show how good our staff is at finding and developing players.
Easy old fella. I'm not saying it doesn't matter. I know it plays its role. I'm just saying if we keep ripping off 25+ win seasons, contending for conference titles, staying ranked all year, promoting the new arena, go into each year knowing the tournament is a given, and selling the fact that it's a given you'll be able to play professionally if you go through here start to finish, we'll have something to sell despite conference affiliation. We get good players as it is. They're already coming here and we're developing them well. All I'm saying is that is we keep winning, the kids we recruit will just know we're a top program year in and year out. And that isn't impossible to sell.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #123
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
It,s too bad the don't produce the talent that they used to. What happened to the great players coming from Woodward, Taft, Withrow, Purcell M. etc. Is it cyclical? We need a good crop of local talent to emerge, just imagine if we could add a Bobby Austin- Mark Dorris-Ricky Callaway- LaSalle Thompson-Derrick Dickey-Louis Orr- Mark Minor every couple years.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #124
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
It,s too bad the don't produce the talent that they used to. What happened to the great players coming from Woodward, Taft, Withrow, Purcell M. etc. Is it cyclical? We need a good crop of local talent to emerge, just imagine if we could add a Bobby Austin- Mark Dorris-Ricky Callaway- LaSalle Thompson-Derrick Dickey-Louis Orr- Mark Minor every couple years.
Roger you old foggy. I went to school with Derrick Dickey.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #125
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Easy old fella. I'm not saying it doesn't matter. I know it plays its role. I'm just saying if we keep ripping off 25+ win seasons, contending for conference titles, staying ranked all year, promoting the new arena, go into each year knowing the tournament is a given, and selling the fact that it's a given you'll be able to play professionally if you go through here start to finish, we'll have something to sell despite conference affiliation. We get good players as it is. They're already coming here and we're developing them well. All I'm saying is that is we keep winning, the kids we recruit will just know we're a top program year in and year out. And that isn't impossible to sell.
I agree Jake those things certainly are all components of a winning program
Old 01-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #126
Protected1
Banned

Protected1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
We had some really good local talent. The only one that really considered us was Cumberland. Edwards, the kid from Duke, Bazely, Bolden, the 7footer from Moeller, Ahmad, they all chose other schools outside of Ohio. We just aren't a destination school anymore fro local guys.
Protected1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:20 PM   #127
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
The suburban schools and the Gcl -we never did get those kids but the Cincinnati Public Schools mostly the one in close proximity to U.C.- we always had a chance for. Are any of those schools producing any talented players anymore?
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:21 PM   #128
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Jake I will refer you to Mr. Chad Brendel. He has make it clear on many occasions that conference affiliation is huge. If you chose not to value his opinion that is certainly your choice. As someone who has first hand knowledge of many things associated with recruiting I put a lot of weight on his information.

It's also not just conference it's sports apparel affiliation.

I'm not saying we can't get good players but it is a big impediment to landing players. Our success only goes to show how good our staff is at finding and developing players.
he also has a huge bias towards Cronin. He also depends on Cronin for his job, he obviously is going to protect him. Conf. affiliation matters, but it's not the end all be all.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #129
Protected1
Banned

Protected1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
he also has a huge bias towards Cronin. He also depends on Cronin for his job, he obviously is going to protect him. Conf. affiliation matters, but it's not the end all be all.
Big time players want to play for teams that can help the get to the League or that win in March. Cool apparel affiliation helps too. Those 3 issues are more important to current big time recruits than conference affiliation.
Protected1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #130
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
We have big time players on the team this very second.

I don't get this argument. Side 1 says we don't get players and our recruiting is bad. Side 2 says our conference is why. There's a Side 3 here that says...uhh...we're a Top 10 team this year. Something is going right with the players we are bringing in.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote