Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #21
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Am I the only one that thinks conference tourneys are overrated and that doesn't really care how we fare in it? Conference tourney's are important for one-bid leagues and if you underachieved in the regular season or finished middle of the pack in your conference. For example, when we finished fourth in the Big East, but made it to the final game, that was awesome. If we were to finish third of fourth in this league I might want a better showing in the conference tourney. To me if you win the regular season title in your conference I think the tourney is irrelevant in a major conference that will get multiple bids. I'm hoping like all that we win the regular season crown in the AAC. If we do that I honestly could care less what we do in the conference tourney. Would like to win at least one game, but even then I'd like to have extra rest and not have to play three or four days in a row.
Winning the regular season title is more impressive but playing in the American is will be very helpful to play 2 more top 50 RPI opponents by winning/making the title game. Especially in the coming years when ECU, Tulane, ect join the league. For example, assuming UC maintains the #1 seed, they'd play 4/5 seed and then 2/3 in the championship game. That would get them a 3rd game against two of SMU/Memphis/UConn/UofL. In the unlikely even that they win out in the regular season, that could get them a #1 seed in the NCAA's. Seeding can be helped, plus the pride of knowing you were the best in the league...
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #22
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
I really enjoy conference tournaments. The first round of the American's won't be all that exciting (hopefully we don't draw USF), but the semifinals and finals should be great.

Also, potentially 3 nights in a row of Bearcat Basketball is always nice.
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #23
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
I really enjoy conference tournaments. The first round of the American's won't be all that exciting (hopefully we don't draw USF), but the semifinals and finals should be great.

Also, potentially 3 nights in a row of Bearcat Basketball is always nice.
Hopefully we dont draw temple either lol. Those would be 2 teams I wouldn't want to play.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #24
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Assuming we'll be a top 2 seed, we'll most likely play Temple or UCF since they are the only teams with one win and no one else has less than 3. UCF is in free fall.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #25
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
Assuming we'll be a top 2 seed, we'll most likely play Temple or UCF since they are the only teams with one win and no one else has less than 3. UCF is in free fall.
Only if Temple or UCF manages to win their first tournament games. Top 6 seeds get a bye.

Here is the tournament format: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Am...all_Tournament
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #26
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Only if Temple or UCF manages to win their first tournament games. Top 6 seeds get a bye.

Here is the tournament format: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Am...all_Tournament
You're right, I wasn't thinking.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #27
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Maybe I'm just being too confident but I wouldn't be too scared to play Temple again. I don't really expect Pepper to make 7/8 second half threes again and shoot 90% from the line. But then again, ya never know.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #28
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
My expectation is for the fans to get out to the games and support the team and its coach. MC has brought us a long way its time to give him his due before someone else does.

Nice read by Doc on the Cats.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daughert...onist-history/
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #29
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
Maybe I'm just being too confident but I wouldn't be too scared to play Temple again. I don't really expect Pepper to make 7/8 second half threes again and shoot 90% from the line. But then again, ya never know.
Same here. I would be much more worried about South Florida than Temple.

And my expectation for this team is to win the regular season championship, win the conference tournament championship, and be able to beat anybody in the tournament that we match up decently with. I expect us to make it to the 2nd weekend of the tournament, and from there, it will be all about match-ups. If we don't have to play any New Mexico type of teams the 2nd weekend, I believe we can get to the Final Four. And once you get there, anything can happen.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #30
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
I am not putting a lot of stock about the impact of this but I just thought it was interesting.

If the season ended today here is how it would look at the top. UC #1, UL #2,MU and SMU tied, UCONN #5. Clearly the 5 best teams in the conference and UCONN might be better than 3 and 4.

Assuming a first game win...#1 would play their second game against the winner of 4 and 5 (If I am not mistaken). #2 would likely play #3 in the second game.

I am not saying I would want to be the #2 seed going in...but I would rather have the #2 draw. If there were 3 top teams #1 would be clearly the best draw. 4 top teams would be relatively even. 6 top teams would be relatively even. But 5 top teams is better for the 2 seed.

There is a good chance that #1 will get to see a good team (which is also hot) come out of the 4 vs 5 game. #2 could play a hot #3 team, a lukewarm #3, or a much less talented #6.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote