Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #201
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
But he had multiple top 50 win opportunities in those years at NKU. Just never got them.
He was however upset multiple times by teams ranked lower. Last year he lost to EKU and Cleveland state. To very bad teams.

The year prior... his best team, he ended up not making the tourney because his team lost in the first found to a terrible Cleveland state team.

I’m not making a statement one way or the other about which way this will go. Just noting that’s he’s rarely every gotten a win above his class and has multiple losses to teams below it.

Some people think John Brannen is the 2nd coming of John wooden but I’ve had a long long way to go to prove he is ready for this level. As it stands today he has 6 opportunities to land top 50 wins. I hope he wins all 6. But they will be a first for him.

So we can’t pretend he knows exactly what he is doing on the court and on the recruiting trail, because the reality is, he’s never done it before.

This league is full of tough coaches and so is our non conference, he will earn my respect this year if we can finish the non conference with some big wins and compete for the top 3.

Because it’s ripe for the taking
People don’t think he is the 2nd coming of John wooden. They are excited for something new and maybe a chance to take this program to the next level. Could it blow up? Of course. Anytime you get a new coach it can go one of two ways. Can we at least get excited and give him a chance before we start putting him on the hot seat? That’s all people want.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #202
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
None of this matters. But it is the truth tho.

Mick had a slightly better resume before he was hired.

mick went to a program that had been to the tournament 5 times in the previous 10 years and was 53-37 the 3 years prior to him arriving (with 1 tournament appearance in those 3 years).

Brannen went to a program that had only been D-1 for 3 seasons and they went 33-54 in those 3 seasons.

They weren't exactly going into similar circumstances. Mick showed he could continue success, Brannen showed he could flip a program around. Then Mick showed he can flip a program here, and hopefully Brannen shows he can continue to the success.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #203
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
mick went to a program that had been to the tournament 5 times in the previous 10 years and was 53-37 the 3 years prior to him arriving (with 1 tournament appearance in those 3 years).

Brannen went to a program that had only been D-1 for 3 seasons and they went 33-54 in those 3 seasons.

They weren't exactly going into similar circumstances. Mick showed he could continue success, Brannen showed he could flip a program around. Then Mick showed he can flip a program here, and hopefully Brannen shows he can continue to the success.
All we can point to right now is what has happened so far. After 3 games we are the highest rated AAC team on Kenpom (very small sample). But we did play one game without Jarron and that Drake game could have been an absolute massacre had we kept the starters in. We kept OSU closer than Nova could muster and had a legit chance to win if it weren't for horrible shooting and some questionable refs.

I am not saying we are a top 15 team or anything but to do this well so far seems to be pointing in the right direction. Had we been blown out at OSU and played Drake to a close game...it still probably wouldn't be time to get super worried with so little of the offense installed and all players learning the new system.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #204
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
After 3 games we are the highest rated AAC team on Kenpom (very small sample). But we did play one game without Jarron and that Drake game could have been an absolute massacre had we kept the starters in. We kept OSU closer than Nova could muster and had a legit chance to win if it weren't for horrible shooting and some questionable refs.
Kenpom takes into account more than just this season's games this early in the year. I don't know how long it takes until only 2019-2020 data is assimilated, but I guarantee it hasn't happened yet. So we aren't necessarily the highest rated team AAC based on this year.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #205
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I don't know how long it takes
Quote:
I guarantee it hasn't happened yet.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Makes perfect sense.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #206
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Kenpom takes into account more than just this season's games this early in the year. I don't know how long it takes until only 2019-2020 data is assimilated, but I guarantee it hasn't happened yet. So we aren't necessarily the highest rated team AAC based on this year.
I am not suggesting we are the best team...just that the start with a new coach could have been worse. I don’t know where Houston started the season or Memphis on Kenpom
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #207
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Makes perfect sense.
Accuracy vs precision. The exact number of games is something I don't know with precision. But a range of games is something I am confident I accurately know.

An analogy: I don't know how long my commute will take tonight, but I guarantee it will be more than 10 minutes.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #208
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
For the record, Kenpom removes his preseason rating 73 days after the season starts. Its sometime in January. The ratings do lesson with their influence each day, though, so by the time January hits, they mean little.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:21 AM   #209
Bearcats92

Bearcats92 is on a distinguished road
UCLA lost to Hofstra. Please get off Cronins nuts Justin and Joe
Bearcats92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:21 AM   #210
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcats92 View Post
UCLA lost to Hofstra. Please get off Cronins nuts Justin and Joe
.......... absolutely terrible take.,

Mick didn’t force a single kid leave and not one of those kids in his. Next year he hasTop 10 player coming in and also in the lead for another top 15 player.

Don’t say shit like this, other wise I’ll be expecting perfection from John Brannen.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote