Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #21
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDC View Post
Again, they get as good if not better competition playing against each other in open gym, if Mick thought "the league" was a valuable off-season asset he would have them playing. Its open gym with an announcer
A really obnoxious announcer at that. I must admit, when I was in my early 20's I got really excited for these summer games. I am 28 now and could give 2 chits if our guys play. I live not even a 10 min. drive from Woodward and won't waste my time. I've been to a dozen of games and they are nothing special. None of it translate to how players play during the season. I know its always nice to see incoming new recruits but that really is about it. I'll just wait til November.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #22
bearcat2321
Banned

bearcat2321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
A really obnoxious announcer at that. I must admit, when I was in my early 20's I got really excited for these summer games. I am 28 now and could give 2 chits if our guys play. I live not even a 10 min. drive from Woodward and won't waste my time. I've been to a dozen of games and they are nothing special. None of it translate to how players play during the season. I know its always nice to see incoming new recruits but that really is about it. I'll just wait til November.
This league is where die hard fans are born. I've been going since it was at Purcell Marian. It was ALWAYS multiple NBA players playing. When UC and Xavier get couple more players in NBA the better for summer league.
bearcat2321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #23
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat Rob View Post
Deveroes stated today. After looking at the box scores no uc players played, but I did noticed a ton of xu guys played. I sure hope they do end up playing its fun for the fans
The only two guys that have told me they have interest in playing is Johnson and Morman. I don't expect any of the rest to play with any regularity, if at all...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #24
bearcat2321
Banned

bearcat2321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
The only two guys that have told me they have interest in playing is Johnson and Morman. I don't expect any of the rest to play with any regularity, if at all...
Kj probably dreamed about playing in these games since kid. That's what's up Kj your becoming fan favorite buddy. Keep up hard work
bearcat2321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #25
Antonio

Antonio is on a distinguished road
As a long long long time fan of this league, dating back to the Chicken on the Run days of the very early 90's, I just want to say UC's waning commitment to this league saddens me. I know Mick is sour on the league and the sloppiness of play, lack of coaching, or negative influence of the sideline coaching that happens, but if anyone can honestly point to any regular season losses sustained due to anything that happened in the course of the few weeks of this league in the summer, I am all ears.

On the other hand, having been a teenager who attended this league, and having seen other even younger kids loyally attend and get excited to see Bearcats of the past, present, and future, I feel it's an important way to grow and win fan support. The league caters to a different crowd than the UCATS crowd (although to be fair some big time UCATS are loyal attendees too), and I think anything UC can do that continues to build fan support is important.

Seeing a team of non-UC recruits running out there for Slats, in a year when UC has a large amount of incoming players, was very frustrating. I know the Slats owner has long been committed to and happy about having the team with the biggest UC connection.

Without UC support, it will be hard for this league to survive. And that's really unfortunate, for the city, for the longtime fans, and for the small businesses and people who have been associated with it for years. If I, as a loyal Bearcat fan, am upset about it, I can only imagine how it is playing for folks who are not nearly as committed to the UC program as I am, and need things like this league to secure their commitment to UC.
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #26
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
As a long long long time fan of this league, dating back to the Chicken on the Run days of the very early 90's, I just want to say UC's waning commitment to this league saddens me. I know Mick is sour on the league and the sloppiness of play, lack of coaching, or negative influence of the sideline coaching that happens, but if anyone can honestly point to any regular season losses sustained due to anything that happened in the course of the few weeks of this league in the summer, I am all ears.

On the other hand, having been a teenager who attended this league, and having seen other even younger kids loyally attend and get excited to see Bearcats of the past, present, and future, I feel it's an important way to grow and win fan support. The league caters to a different crowd than the UCATS crowd (although to be fair some big time UCATS are loyal attendees too), and I think anything UC can do that continues to build fan support is important.

Seeing a team of non-UC recruits running out there for Slats, in a year when UC has a large amount of incoming players, was very frustrating. I know the Slats owner has long been committed to and happy about having the team with the biggest UC connection.

Without UC support, it will be hard for this league to survive. And that's really unfortunate, for the city, for the longtime fans, and for the small businesses and people who have been associated with it for years. If I, as a loyal Bearcat fan, am upset about it, I can only imagine how it is playing for folks who are not nearly as committed to the UC program as I am, and need things like this league to secure their commitment to UC.
Great first post. I have to admit that I've been on the other side of the argument, being ok with UC's lack of involvement, but you make some really good points. I'm not sure I ever really thought about the community impact.
Bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #27
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post

First, the NCAA changed the rule this year so first year players have to be split up like the veterans. Only two players per team applies to everyone now.

Second, with the addition of summer workouts the team is on the court 5-6 days a week on top of their strength and conditioning requirements. 2-3 days of workouts and 3 days of open gym in house and this year they have full scale practice starting in mid July for the Bahamas trip.

There just isn't the free time for the league like there has been in the past...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #28
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
First, the NCAA changed the rule this year so first year players have to be split up like the veterans. Only two players per team applies to everyone now.

Second, with the addition of summer workouts the team is on the court 5-6 days a week on top of their strength and conditioning requirements. 2-3 days of workouts and 3 days of open gym in house and this year they have full scale practice starting in mid July for the Bahamas trip.

There just isn't the free time for the league like there has been in the past...
Yeah, I wouldn't blame UC for not having their players participate. I would blame the NCAA. This league was only worthwhile to UC by letting all the players get used to playing with each other. Now, since you can't have all the new players on the same team, what's the point?
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #29
IDC

IDC is on a distinguished road
I get the aspect of trying to get fans involved in the program more, but it seems like Mick is trying to do that with Fountain Square practice last year, and open practice before the Creighton tourney game 2 years ago.

Does anyone who's not currently a fan even know about the league? I don't know how many new fans it would bring in. It seems like Mick had the right idea with Fountain Square by going for the corporate type of people who have the money. Not many that attend Woodward would be able to impact the program financially.

I'd rather the team spend the time in the weight room and prepare for the 40 minutes of hell Mick is about to unleash on the AAC.

Lastly, the point about 2 guys per team is very valid. What good will that do in terms of developing chemistry?
IDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #30
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDC View Post
I get the aspect of trying to get fans involved in the program more, but it seems like Mick is trying to do that with Fountain Square practice last year, and open practice before the Creighton tourney game 2 years ago.

Does anyone who's not currently a fan even know about the league? I don't know how many new fans it would bring in. It seems like Mick had the right idea with Fountain Square by going for the corporate type of people who have the money. Not many that attend Woodward would be able to impact the program financially.

I'd rather the team spend the time in the weight room and prepare for the 40 minutes of hell Mick is about to unleash on the AAC.

Lastly, the point about 2 guys per team is very valid. What good will that do in terms of developing chemistry?
Great post. Took the thoughts right out of my mind.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote