Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #41
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Personally with all the new parts I'd rather see this team working together than playing a city league. You can pick up some bad habits in summer ball and there has to be some continuity built between these guys. Don't get me wrong I enjoy going down and watching them play but all that matters to me is the season and what best prepares them for that.
Yeah, I think most people would agree with this. I don't care if they don't play, but I wish it would be clearer that they aren't going to play. This year, it sounds like most of them aren't signing up, which is good. Last year, I went down a few times expecting to see at least one or two of them, and nobody showed. As long as I know beforehand that they most likely won't be playing, I have no problem with it, just don't like expecting to see them and then be disappointed.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #42
bearcat2321
Banned

bearcat2321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
No doubt. I'm sure those $3 donations are really keeping places alive lol. I would much rather hear about our players going to NBA camps and training with the best. Deveroes has been busted for years.
It got busted when UC fell off. Xavier still always participated in games and has benefited locally from playing in games. Showing up 2-3 week shouldn't interfere with their schedule at all. You can build better team chemistry playing amongst and against some off the better competition in area. We need all the fans we can get right now this is the perfect event to get your buzz back from 90's.
bearcat2321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #43
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2321 View Post
It got busted when UC fell off. Xavier still always participated in games and has benefited locally from playing in games. Showing up 2-3 week shouldn't interfere with their schedule at all. You can build better team chemistry playing amongst and against some off the better competition in area. We need all the fans we can get right now this is the perfect event to get your buzz back from 90's.
The only people that go to Deveroes are die hard fans. It's not like a lot of people will want to spend 3-4 hours in a gym on a summer Saturday or Sunday afternoon if they aren't crazy about UC or Xavier basketball.

You build a fanbase by winning consistently and making deep runs into March, not by participating in a summer league. I bet a lot of students and people who go to real games don't even know what the summer league is.

How exactly has Xavier benefited locally from playing?
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #44
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2321 View Post
X players were very hit or miss until last year. Most didn't bother playing until the final weekend and the playoffs.

The league is mostly local has beens outside of the UC and X players. There is zero local talent to carry the league outside of those two rosters spread out amongst the league. UC gets better run against each other in open gym instead of playing with the Paul McMillian's of the world. Fact...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #45
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
X players were very hit or miss until last year. Most didn't bother playing until the final weekend and the playoffs.

The league is mostly local has beens outside of the UC and X players. There is zero local talent to carry the league outside of those two rosters spread out amongst the league. UC gets better run against each other in open gym instead of playing with the Paul McMillian's of the world. Fact...
Chad, do you know if there is any overlap in the dates of the schools going down to the Bahamas? If so, are there plans for any closed scrimmages between schools?

Thanks.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #46
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Chad, do you know if there is any overlap in the dates of the schools going down to the Bahamas? If so, are there plans for any closed scrimmages between schools?

Thanks.
There is overlap, but NCAA rules prevent the teams from working together while down there...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #47
ccmbearcat

ccmbearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat Rob View Post
Ok thanks. Hopefully they do a midnight madness or something like that then because i believe it really helps build the excitement for the season and i really cant wait to see the new guys (thats why im disappointed about deveroes cuz i love seeing some bearcat basketball in the summer but i understand). I didnt mind the idea of fountain square but the weather conditions(which prevented any actual basketball from being played) and the fact that half the team was there left me feeling dissapointed, i want to see a live scrimmage or competive drills with the whole team.
Fountain Square was bad because on a weekday a lot of the guys were in class and did not attend. Lets get it back on campus.
ccmbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #48
xlax

xlax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post

I thought it was Paul MACKmillan?
xlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #49
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Article in the Enquirer about UC and the summer league.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blog...ague/10900587/

I freaking love Cronin and his comments. He says it's up to the players but....

""We have a lot of former players," Cronin said. "We've built a really good family of guys that are still playing. Dion Dixon is in town. Cashmere Wright, Yancy Gates, JaQuon Parker, just to name a few. The best basketball our guys are going to play is in our gym. They play to win. There's defense. They play hard. With that being said, they're more than welcome to play in the summer league. It's up to them.""

So he basically saying the summer league isn't worth his players time, and it would be more beneficial to play with our own guys, current and alum. I have no issues with this at all.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #50
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
Another weekend thru deveroes no johnson or morman haven't seen them listed on the roster either I know chad said those two were maybes but I don't expect them to suit up, as long as they got intense open gyms that's fine. I heard from a buddy today that a xavier player, remy abell, had to be carried off due to an injury...which I think solidifies the fact that no uc guys will play this summer
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote