Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #91
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Clemson is a good case for why I actually support the quadrant system. Clemson is a really good team. But although they were competitive against better competition, they didn't actually win. I think you should have to actually win to qualify. That's the point of sports.
I don't disagree....will you look at that??

I've derailed this thread long enough. Didn't mean to come across confrontational, so my apologies if that was the case. Let's get past Iowa and look to bust some brackets on Sunday, shall we?
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #92
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
No grudges here, confrontations take two to tango. I'm just as much to blame.

I'll repost my underdog preview to get this thread back on topic:

Vermont is a solid team playing close to home. They're sort of a small time Cincinnati with a do-it-all 6-6 junior scorer in Anthony Lamb, and a senior guard who shoots 43% from three. They lost at Louisville by only 8 and have beaten quite a few solid mid-majors like Yale, Harvard, Northeastern and St Bonaventure.

Everyone knows about Ja Morant from Murray St, who are playing struggling Marquette in round 1.

Northeastern can really light it up from three, with four guys who shoot 39% or better on 135+ attempts. They beat Alabama by 16 on a neutral floor and won at Harvard.

Yale has five guys that can really score including NBA bound Miye Oni. They won at Miami and took Memphis to OT on the road.

New Mexico St is one of the best rebounding teams in the country. They won 30 games and lost by only 3 at Kansas (they had the lead with under 5:00 to play). They are playing close to home in Utah.

UC Irvine is also playing close to home against a Kansas St team without Dean Wade.

And don't forget about Georgia St. D'Marcus Simonds lit us up for 24 last year. They still have him surrounded by four 40%+ three point shooters. They won at Alabama and also beat solid mid-majors East Tennessee St and St Bonaventure.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:28 AM   #93
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
AAC with a great showing so far.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:26 AM   #94
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
temple was a classic case of their resume was tournament worthy but the team really wasn't. an at large bid in the low 70's on kenpom.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #95
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Anyone else check out these "Best players in the tournament" articles going around? Most are top 25, with Cland not being on the ones i saw, but he was #32 on a top 50 list. Yes, this means squat, but it's interesting. Corey Davis was listed #42....
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #96
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Temple played pretty good in that game, Belmont is a very good team. But I’m sure it feels better just to talk trash about our conference
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #97
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
temple was a classic case of their resume was tournament worthy but the team really wasn't. an at large bid in the low 70's on kenpom.
Lmao, so is every team that loses in the first round “not worthy,” someone has to lose and sometimes the team you play wins
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #98
Union Bearcat

Union Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Lmao, so is every team that loses in the first round “not worthy,” someone has to lose and sometimes the team you play wins
I'm with you. 52 teams don't make it past the first weekend.
Union Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #99
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
cincrulz didn't say Temple is unworthy because they lost to Belmont. He said they were bad for an at-large team because their Kenpom ranking is in the 70s.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #100
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Memphis won....so there's that
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote