Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Maybe we will have a couple of these guys transfer away
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:00 PM   #22
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
unfortunately UC is so bad it's impossible to say whether it's talent, coaching, or both. I think it's both. Nothing this team does demonstrates that they are well coached. I keep saying that hopefully Miller is a hell of a recruiter because he isn't going to out-coach many teams.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:35 PM   #23
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
unfortunately UC is so bad it's impossible to say whether it's talent, coaching, or both. I think it's both. Nothing this team does demonstrates that they are well coached. I keep saying that hopefully Miller is a hell of a recruiter because he isn't going to out-coach many teams.
I think you’re right. I almost feel like this team has regressed as the season goes on. Instead of closing gaps in our offense and defense they are growing. Granted Houston is 6th in the county but we look terrible.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:13 PM   #24
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Well we didn't shoot well from three (20%) and rebounding was lopsided (38-26) so the result was about as expected.

We didn't let Carlton do much damage, but he still had an efficient 8 pts on only 5 shots. I think that's one of the areas where we are consistently outcoached. Houston's main offensive option didn't have many good looks, but he didn't force bad shots. They only have two good 3pt shooters and they went 6-12 combined. But the rest of the team didn't put up bad shots, only attempting 9 threes total. Houston was 13-18 at the rim. Our 1v1 defense was terrible across the board.

Our only reliable offense was DDJ at the free throw line (12-12). Lakhin was the only player with an effective field goal percentage above 46%. MAW went a second consecutive game without an assist, and he now has just one over the last 3 games. He's not a reliable offensive creator as the PG, and we don't have a scheme that generates open looks. So we relied on DDJ having a usage rate approaching 40.

With this group of players and coach, we have to make threes or we can't score. That's three straight games putting up less than .87 points per possession. Not inspiring to say the least.

Last edited by sedziobs; 02-06-2022 at 09:17 PM.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:23 PM   #25
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Thing is, it's not like UC just missed wide open 3's. They were contested because they really don't run much of an offense. Again, tough to tell because of a lack of talent, but I've heard Miller say he likes to let his player loose on offense. It definitely shows. No creativity from out of bounds players either. Usually good coaches have some sets they run from TO's or out of bounds to try to get easy baskets, UC has nothing. Cronin had them, Brannen had them, Miller hasn't shown any of it.

Also, why not try a zone? Houston's pick and roll destroyed UC all night yet nothing changed, except perhaps a fresh set of 5 guys...which is another issue.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:04 PM   #26
Lefty

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I don't think we are that far behind talent wise, but we have guys who are inexperienced and new to Miller's system. Guys like Ody, Lakhin and Hensley have the athletic ability, but they don't have enough experience.

Also doesn't help that our two leaders (DDJ and Davenport) have little interest in doing anything but forcing up tough iso shots (though DDJ did pass better in the second half tonight). Hard to run good offensive sets when your two main guys don't.
Sky- can’t agree with your take here. Imo, not even close athletically. Just watch Houston players blowing by UC
defenders like they were standing in cement.
Agree the shot selection is an issue- drives me crazy when
Shooters don’t square up & step into the shot . When there’s no
Inside presence offensively not sure what choice CWM has
other than giving the keys to the car to DDJ, MAW &
Davenport.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:08 PM   #27
Lefty

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Kinda interesting reading XU fan forum- some
seem to think a lot of CWM. Tho inheriting a
tough situation, I haven’t been too impressed.
Maybe It’s a situation where you can’t make
chicken salad outta… well, you know.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:59 AM   #28
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
This was ultimately a coach in the first year of a program rebuild versus an 8th-year coach that has his program running on all cylinders.

Sampson didn't make it to the NCAA tournament until his 4th year with Houston.

They were 13-19 in his first year AND he inherited a team with 3 top 75 recruits.

We can break down every detail possible from last night's game but the big picture shows that we don't possess the talent/athletes necessary to compete with yet alone beat a top 5 team right now.

This offseason will be a big one.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:52 AM   #29
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
This team is actually worse in Adj Eff defense vs top 100 teams than last years was because they allow opponents to rebound 35.1% of their misses.

As with last years team, its really hard to grasp on to anything that's good.

The team doesn't seem to be getting any better as the year rolls along either.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:10 AM   #30
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
We need players. We are simply overmatched.

Wes is going to have to have some tough convos post season, bc alot of these guys can't come back.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote