Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-29-2022, 10:25 AM   #261
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Ezikpe is the one EvanMiya really gives reason to worry about. EvanMiya is showing red flags all over the place when it comes to Ezikpe. His offensive efficiency was one of the worst on ODU last year, as was his defensive efficiency and he had the worst +/-. Combine that with watching him play some games and that's why I am so negative on him being an impactful player next year.
Look at the actual numbers though. He might have been "one of the worst" on offense but only one player was above 3.3 OBPR. Ezikpe was -3.1, which isn't different enough to tell us anything. Again on defense, he's 6.6 which is right in line with most of the team. And I've previously expressed concern with how Miya's BPR is way too heavily weighted for team performance, which is how you end up with Quadri Moore being a better defender than Tre Scott and Chris McNeal being a better offensive player than everyone on last year's team.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:58 AM   #262
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Looking at ODU on offense, their leading scorer attempted 220 midrange shots and only hit 38%. Their second leading scorer attempted 117 and hit only 33%. Their PG attempted 90 at 33% and the other starter took 43 at 28%. By comparison, Ezikpe looks like he's making good choices with 108 attempts at 42%. For reference, DDJ attempted 167 at 47% and no other Bearcat attempted more than 76. As a team, ODU took 124 more midrange shots than us and we are already a midrange heavy team.

My point is it's hard to grade a player on +/- when the rest of his team is taking horrible shots.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:02 AM   #263
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
EvanMiya for the most part matches up with what fans/coaches say. Newman and MAW are two guys who have been praised (by Wes/Brannen) for doing everything right, doing the little things and the things fans don't tend to notice and EvanMiya reflects that.

Ezikpe is the one EvanMiya really gives reason to worry about. EvanMiya is showing red flags all over the place when it comes to Ezikpe. His offensive efficiency was one of the worst on ODU last year, as was his defensive efficiency and he had the worst +/-. Combine that with watching him play some games and that's why I am so negative on him being an impactful player next year.
That is weird because his ORTG on Torvik he was the highest on the team.

But I am sure his shot selection will change quite a bit as he will not be a top 3 option. Also I would suspect Wes will get the best out of him on D (if he wants to play that is). He looks plenty mobile for his big frame.

I don't know where that puts him in minutes but I am guessing Wes has looked over a lot of these numbers (and more) and decided Kalu would be useful for us. He's at the very least a 3rd body for foul trouble and at best a contributor as a 4 and 5 to some extent.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:03 PM   #264
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Rayvon Griffith will announce his decision at 6:15 pm this evening.

UC
OSU
UCLA
Kansas
Alabama
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:22 PM   #265
Bearcat_Z

Bearcat_Z is on a distinguished road
U. . . C . . . Go Bearcats!! Tremendous get by the coaching staff. Welcome Mr. Griffith.
Bearcat_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:43 PM   #266
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Great news. We'll be loaded with 6'5 to 6'7 wings in a couple years.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:47 PM   #267
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_Z View Post
U. . . C . . . Go Bearcats!! Tremendous get by the coaching staff. Welcome Mr. Griffith.
Big time!!! Moving on up and into B12! What a great f-zing start!!
Old 05-01-2022, 10:38 PM   #268
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Years ago I told this board basketball moving towards having all 5 players between 6'5-6'9. College and NBA was couple years behind my vision.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:18 PM   #269
waterhead
Senior Moderator

After reading some thoughts taken from an Athletic article with Wes it would seem that Vik is doing the early work to put himself in good position in terms of the bigs. That is a very welcome thing to hear. He's a guy that can change our team dynamics.

Also it seems as though the frosh wings are going to get their chance to earn roles. I thought maybe we would see Reed redshirt due to not many minutes available at the 3 and 4 spot. Doesn't sound like that is an option. Which is probably good news that Wes thinks he's ready for minutes.

And for those expecting a significant drop in JD's minutes should probably think again. There seems to be a lot of confidence in JD from Wes. We all know JD can shoot a ball but apparently the liabilities aren't all that concerning to Wes which is also nice to know.

These were the comments that stood out to me from what Athletic readers have pointed out so far.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:09 PM   #270
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Reed's shooting form seems in pretty good order compared to many high schoolers. He's got a nice high and quick release. And he'll need weight training, like everyone, but physically he's more ready to step in than many freshmen.

We need all the potential distance shooters on the floor as possible.

I'm pretty hopeful for this incoming class.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote