Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-30-2021, 09:08 PM   #31
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Wes has hit it out of the park thus far. Very little to criticize and a lot to compliment. The return of the monster factory is the cherry on top.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:20 PM   #32
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Wes has hit it out of the park thus far. Very little to criticize and a lot to compliment. The return of the monster factory is the cherry on top.
Sorry but I never understood "the monster factory". Even with Brannen. He seemed fine, but strength and conditioning isn't some special secret. And this is someone who went through UC's S&C program. Did Cumberland ever seem like some ripped dude? It's not rocket science. I'm glad he is back because he appears to like UC but this really isn't the big deal people are making it out to be.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:18 PM   #33
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Man exactly longhaul. Them summer pics always had fans fooled. Come March our team was always tired. Nobody looked like football players
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:16 AM   #34
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Sorry but I never understood "the monster factory". Even with Brannen. He seemed fine, but strength and conditioning isn't some special secret. And this is someone who went through UC's S&C program. Did Cumberland ever seem like some ripped dude? It's not rocket science. I'm glad he is back because he appears to like UC but this really isn't the big deal people are making it out to be.
I agree. It’s more of a PR thing than anything else. You don’t need to be ripped or look like a linebacker to be good at basketball. And like you said, this stuff isn’t complicated. Some of the dumbest people you will ever meet are some of the smartest when it comes to getting in shape. It’s not hard
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:14 AM   #35
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Having the best in the business is the same as anything else. Do you want an average point guard or one of the best in the country? I mean dribbling a BB is not hard...you can teach yourself.

And whoever was asking if Cumberland was ripped? No...not when he got here. But before Rehfeldt left he abosolutey transformed his body. Just like almost every player to walk through our doors.

Mike R is elite at what he does and each individual player as well as the team as a whole benefits from being under his program.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:29 AM   #36
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Even if it doesn't affect our level of play all that much, a strength program with a good reputation is something you can show off to recruits. Langston Wilson did an interview where he said the one thing that stood out to him about Texas Tech was their cryochamber for recovery. The monster factory can't hurt.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:27 AM   #37
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I doubt there is any way to quantify it. But I keep hearing about the rigors of playing a physical Houston team and UNCG guys stepping up a level.

I can’t imagine why being in peak physical condition is not important or not important enough to address it with the best possible coach you can
Old 05-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #38
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Having the best in the business is the same as anything else.
I'm glad Mike is back. I don't doubt he's good at what he does, and it's nice to have someone with connections to the school and city return.

That said, I do question if he's as good as everyone says he is. Reading all of the different boards I come across a lot of "best in the business" comments or something similar.

Is he really though? Because if he is I would question why he's not somewhere that can pay him more money. Why is he not at a power school or with a professional team looking to spend big?

I just find it a bit odd that one of the very best strength coaches in all of America, who is originally from Minnesota, stays at UC for as long as he did and he returns once again.

Hell, even when he left he ended up at UCONN. Don't get me wrong, UCONN is a quality program. That shows he's good at what he does. But how does the best in the business not have other schools or teams with way more money beating down his door? UConn doesn't have necessarily have the world's richest athletic department.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that even though I'm sure the dude is good at what he does I think UC fans way over-inflate this guy's worth. If he was the best in the business he wouldn't be here.

To each their own, but I agree with some of the other posts. We're making this into a way bigger deal than it needs to be.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:30 PM   #39
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
I'm glad Mike is back. I don't doubt he's good at what he does, and it's nice to have someone with connections to the school and city return.

That said, I do question if he's as good as everyone says he is. Reading all of the different boards I come across a lot of "best in the business" comments or something similar.

Is he really though? Because if he is I would question why he's not somewhere that can pay him more money. Why is he not at a power school or with a professional team looking to spend big?

I just find it a bit odd that one of the very best strength coaches in all of America, who is originally from Minnesota, stays at UC for as long as he did and he returns once again.

Hell, even when he left he ended up at UCONN. Don't get me wrong, UCONN is a quality program. That shows he's good at what he does. But how does the best in the business not have other schools or teams with way more money beating down his door? UConn doesn't have necessarily have the world's richest athletic department.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that even though I'm sure the dude is good at what he does I think UC fans way over-inflate this guy's worth. If he was the best in the business he wouldn't be here.

To each their own, but I agree with some of the other posts. We're making this into a way bigger deal than it needs to be.
Nailed it. I’m sure there are 100 strength and conditioning coaches claiming they are the best. I would venture to guess SEC football teams have some good ones. Duke basketball, etc... Like you, I’m glad the guy is here, but it’s not a big deal.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #40
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Not all college programs have a long history of elite defense, toughness and rebounding as their calling card. Huggins used to bring in football pads and Cronin had Rehfeldt. And we were pretty elite at what Rehfeldt could help with.

While he was here we were an elite D with 3 star talent and a lot of that is due to monster factory. He didn’t want to leave Cincinnati but who knows how often he was approached