Tigers by 6+ points 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #91
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Ummmm....wanting LoJo to get more minutes against crappy teams is exactly what he needed to be more ready to play against Memphis.
Exactly. But Lojo will be fine. He just needs to stop getting caught in the air with the ball and being led into traps. Both very coachable. He clearly has a nose for the ball on D and rebounding and putbacks.

Some additional experience during the season would have helped a little. This is not the time of year to be learning on the job.

What a game though! I still have no idea how we ended up winning the game against Memphis AND Temple...let alone comfortably at the end. I wrote them off in both games early in the second half. When they finally smelled blood last night on that 10-0 run they woke up and started really focusing on D. We stopped leaving guys wide open and cut off their drives better.

Huge win for us. I feel like a legit Top 25 team right now
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #92
beeman7467

beeman7467 is on a distinguished road
I don't know the exact numbers, but in the last three road conference games, the Bearcats have absolutely dominated the second half. Not crazy about being down early, but clearly they know how to win.
beeman7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #93
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman7467 View Post
I don't know the exact numbers, but in the last three road conference games, the Bearcats have absolutely dominated the second half. Not crazy about being down early, but clearly they know how to win.
We're +35 over those three second halves. That's a great testament to halftime adjustments made by Cronin and to overall grit and resilience of the team.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #94
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
The 12-0 run over 3 1/2 minutes moved our probability of winning from 21% to 91%.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #95
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ummmm....wanting LoJo to get more minutes against crappy teams is exactly what he needed to be more ready to play against Memphis.
He made 2 bad TO's early. Yet, Cronin stuck with him and he had 3 huge buckets and 4-5 rebounds in the 2nd half. Does Mick get credit for not yanking him as he is so often criticized for? He was fine and prepared for that type of game. Cumberland started out with 2 quick TO's too and he obviously has had enough playing time.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #96
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
We're +35 over those three second halves. That's a great testament to halftime adjustments made by Cronin and to overall grit and resilience of the team.
Maybe all the players should wear the scouting report on their arm like the NFL QB's have the plays?

They can go through a series of checklists on D.

Q1. Is their best shooter standing all by himself anywhere?
A1. Go stand next to him

Q2. How many players are already guarding the player you want to guard?
A2. If it's more than 1...guard someone else
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #97
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Maybe all the players should wear the scouting report on their arm like the NFL QB's have the plays?

They can go through a series of checklists on D.

Q1. Is their best shooter standing all by himself anywhere?
A1. Go stand next to him

Q2. How many players are already guarding the player you want to guard?
A2. If it's more than 1...guard someone else
it's really as simple as it has always been with this defense - do not overhelp. period.

it's pretty clear that they've been told what to do and sometimes just ad-lib. the easiest example that sticks out the most is keith overhelping to dig on a driver while sagging off of martin in the corner when we were up, i think, 6. just williams reported that savino was yelling "no" at keith.

i think our more senior team last year did a better job of doing what they were supposed to do. i don't know with these guys if it's the obsession with deflections or what, but most of the time people are yelling and screaming about our defensive scheme, it was an unnecessary overhelp on a drive/penetration that either left the initial shooter open or started the sequence of events that led to the open shot.

don't overhelp - it's the on-ball defender's job to stop his man and get help from a rim protector at the bucket.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #98
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I'll counter and say he gets a better tutorial in the several hours of practice every week when he's on the floor than he would an extra five minutes icing a game with other backups vs. an absolute crap Arkansas-Pine Bluff or someone similar. There's not a definitive answer as to how much playing time a freshman should get but I'll trust Cronin or any other coach's opinion on what he thinks is best for his team. There are things Logan is good at and things he isn't yet. There's zero part of me that thinks this team's success this year stems on Logan Johnson being able to carry the load for us which is what the argument was that was being referenced in the post you replied to.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #99
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
He made 2 bad TO's early. Yet, Cronin stuck with him and he had 3 huge buckets and 4-5 rebounds in the 2nd half. Does Mick get credit for not yanking him as he is so often criticized for? He was fine and prepared for that type of game. Cumberland started out with 2 quick TO's too and he obviously has had enough playing time.
Way to miss the point. We were taking about criticism that LoJo didn’t get more run in the beginning of the year against the crappy teams. That’s all. And he would be more prepared to play in every conference game if he had.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote