Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Community Clubhouse > Cincinnati Pro Sports

Old 06-30-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Reds Trade Ideas

So as we all know the Reds are in the beginning stages of rebuilding. With that said, in the next 30 days we should see at least 2-3 trades made. Figured it might be fun to throw trade ideas (realistic) out there.

Reds Trade OF Jay Bruce to the Dodgers for 1B/OF Cody Bellinger, 2B Willie Calhoun and a PTBNL.

Dodgers need help in the OF in the worst way with guys struggling at the plate. Reds would get Bellinger, who projects as a CF with a cannon arm and a .280 hitter who will hit 20-25 HRs a season. Calhoun is small at 5'8" but has crazy power that projects to 30-35 HRs and 30 doubles. However his defense is below average and will need to be moved to 3B. Both prospects are rated just outside Dodgers top 10.

Reds Trade SS Zack Cozart to the Royals for RHP Josh Staumont and 3B Hunter Dozier.

Royals have missed Zobrist badly and need a great defensive infielder who can add pop at the plate. Reds get Staumont who sits at 98 with the fastball but in relief has routinely touched 102. He's a starter with bad command but does well as a closer, he's the future for the Reds at closer. Dozier is a hammer at the plate hitting for power and average but is just okay defensively. Has a huge arm, hit mid 90s as a pitcher in college, and moves well but misses routine plays. Both prospects are outside top 10 in Royals system.

Bonus move: Reds are unable to trade Brandon Phillips and designate him for assignment. The hope here is someone bites and trades for him so Jose Peraza can take over full time at 2B. If no team takes the bait you release him or bench him.

Last edited by the_one_32; 06-30-2016 at 08:03 PM.
the_one_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
So as we all know the Reds are in the beginning stages of rebuilding. With that said, in the next 30 days we should see at least 2-3 trades made. Figured it might be fun to throw trade ideas (realistic) out there.

Reds Trade OF Jay Bruce to the Dodgers for 1B/OF Cody Bellinger, 2B Willie Calhoun and a PROBLEM.

Dodgers need help in the OF in the worst way with guys struggling at the plate. Reds would get Bellinger, who projects as a CF with a cannon arm and a .280 hitter who will hit 20-25 HRs a season. Calhoun is small at 5'8" but has crazy power that projects to 30-35 HRs and 30 doubles. However his defense is below average and will need to be moved to 3B. Both prospects are rated just outside Dodgers top 10.

Reds Trade SS Zack Cozart to the Royals for RHP Josh Staumont and 3B Hunter Dozier.

Royals have missed Zobrist badly and need a great defensive infielder who can add pop at the plate. Reds get Staumont who sits at 98 with the fastball but in relief has routinely touched 102. He's a starter with bad command but does well as a closer, he's the future for the Reds at closer. Dozier is a hammer at the plate hitting for power and average but is just okay defensively. Has a huge arm, hit mid 90s as a pitcher in college, and moves well but misses routine plays. Both prospects are outside top 10 in Royals system.

Bonus move: Reds are unable to trade Brandon Phillips and designate him for assignment. The hope here is someone bites and trades for him so Jose Peraza can take over full time at 2B. If no team takes the bait you release him or bench him.
There's a rumor going around that bruce will be a dodger by Sunday afternoon so we will see about that
Dodgers:bruce, ohlendorf
Reds:verdugo, Calhoun, German
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
I would take Verdugo but I like Bellinger a little more. German would be a good throw in with his high 90s fastball but he needs ALOT of work.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I don't think Cozart is a match for the Royals.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #5
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would take Verdugo but I like Bellinger a little more. German would be a good throw in with his high 90s fastball but he needs ALOT of work.
Exactly why not take a chance on a guy who hits 100, there trying him as a starter but we could convert him to a closer at 100 and for Bruce you're looking at maybe only two good minor players and throw in. There also projecting Calhoun to be an outfielder soon

Last edited by Bearcatboy; 06-30-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #6
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Think Phillips will be here until next year. Doesn't seem to have much interest In moving unless team he is going to will extend his contract. Don't see the reds paying him 20 mil to go away between what is left of this year and what is owed for next.

Still very early to determine where Bruce or Cozart will end up. Lots of moving parts. Who has a need, who is still in contention, How much of Bruce's salary would the reds be willing to eat for a better prospect. If I'm the reds I wait hoping that more then one team needs a hitter or a SS. Unless I'm completely overwhelmed with a deal I run the string out. Neither guy is breaking the bank.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Think Phillips will be here until next year. Doesn't seem to have much interest In moving unless team he is going to will extend his contract. Don't see the reds paying him 20 mil to go away between what is left of this year and what is owed for next.

Still very early to determine where Bruce or Cozart will end up. Lots of moving parts. Who has a need, who is still in contention, How much of Bruce's salary would the reds be willing to eat for a better prospect. If I'm the reds I wait hoping that more then one team needs a hitter or a SS. Unless I'm completely overwhelmed with a deal I run the string out. Neither guy is breaking the bank.
The only problem with waiting on Bruce is that allows the Brewers to set the market by dealing Braun. You don't want to have your ability to get maximum return back undercut by another teams trade.

When it comes to Phillips if won't have much of a choice. I can tell you with 1,000% confidence the players in the clubhouse and front office officials have grown tired of him. His attitude, ego and mental mistakes on the field have turned people and players off quick. His true colors shined through when he demanded a ridiculous extension to accept a trade to the Natonal.

Waiting on Cozart could be a good idea given the injuries at SS throughout the major league level. However, like Bruce, you don't want another team setting the market and hindering what you receive in a deal. Dealing players now gives you edge on return, sets the market and your dealing them when their value is highest. Whose to say Bruce and/or Cozart don't go into a slump in the next 2-3 weeks?
Old 07-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The only problem with waiting on Bruce is that allows the Brewers to set the market by dealing Braun. You don't want to have your ability to get maximum return back undercut by another teams trade.

When it comes to Phillips if won't have much of a choice. I can tell you with 1,000% confidence the players in the clubhouse and front office officials have grown tired of him. His attitude, ego and mental mistakes on the field have turned people and players off quick. His true colors shined through when he demanded a ridiculous extension to accept a trade to the Natonal.

Waiting on Cozart could be a good idea given the injuries at SS throughout the major league level. However, like Bruce, you don't want another team setting the market and hindering what you receive in a deal. Dealing players now gives you edge on return, sets the market and your dealing them when their value is highest. Whose to say Bruce and/or Cozart don't go into a slump in the next 2-3 weeks?
rather you wait or not it still is going to depend on how many teams have a need and how badly they want Bruce. Just because the Brewers give Braun away doesn't mean the reds will do the same with Bruce. Lots of Teams looking for Outfield help.

I myself am tired of Phillips. The Topper was on Saturday against Pads when he tried to steal 3rd with no one out and Bruce at the plate. Was thrown out for the 1st out of the inning. As a guy who has coached baseball for a number of years I can tell you 10 year olds are taught you do not make the first out of the inning at 3rd base. That said 20 mil is a lot to swallow.

Cozarts numbers are falling off right now. Moving him now would make more sense in my opinion. Never was sold on his bat in his 2 months last year or his start this year. He is a above average fielder with a suspect bat coming off knee surgery.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

Let's not forget Brandon is the reason the Reds traded Josh Hamilton. They couldn't get along solely because Brandon was unwilling to share the spotlight.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #10
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Jordy Barley trains with Javier Rodriguez in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The Padres have emerged as the favorite to sign him. He was also heavily scouted by the Reds. Jordy Barley a 16 yr old who has wheels. Cheaper then the Cuban shortstop that they have been linked to and 6yrs younger. think the reds are going to surprise everyone on Saturday between international signing and maybe a trade. They have the money and traded for slots.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote