Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-17-2019, 01:22 PM   #151
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
and then it was the original one that threw them out right?
I maybe wrong, as I watched live and didn’t watch replay.

But it seems like double techs were issued. And the ref who issued them was trying to calm Hurley who was trying to shake hands.

Looked to me that a ref came in and issued the 2nd tech.

I thought 2nd tech was on Hurley only but then both ended up ejected.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #152
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I maybe wrong, as I watched live and didn’t watch replay.

But it seems like double techs were issued. And the ref who issued them was trying to calm Hurley who was trying to shake hands.

Looked to me that a ref came in and issued the 2nd tech.

I thought 2nd tech was on Hurley only but then both ended up ejected.

i only watched the replay once and was just half watching but it looked like an outside official stepped in to give the 1st and then he was talking to hurley and then the original ref stepped back in to issue the 2nd tech.

i agree with your point that refs shouldn't step in for other refs like that. a great example was when tv teddy went way overboard on mick and got in his face. mick exploded, it was the most animated i've ever seen him. the other officials stayed out of it because they knew it didn't involve them. even teddy let mick melt down because teddy knew he was in the wrong.

thats how refs should handle it.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #153
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i only watched the replay once and was just half watching but it looked like an outside official stepped in to give the 1st and then he was talking to hurley and then the original ref stepped back in to issue the 2nd tech.

i agree with your point that refs shouldn't step in for other refs like that. a great example was when tv teddy went way overboard on mick and got in his face. mick exploded, it was the most animated i've ever seen him. the other officials stayed out of it because they knew it didn't involve them. even teddy let mick melt down because teddy knew he was in the wrong.

thats how refs should handle it.

Even more insane... mick wasn’t tossed for that and yet he is tossed in USF game
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #154
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Just heard Chad being interviewed on Mo Egger show. He said the refs were given a notice over the weekend from the NCAA to keep coaches in their box and something else, cant remember what he said. Also said the new guy in charge of AAC officials this year is a former ref with a history of a short leash with coaches. So with the new memo being sent out maybe our refs are taking it a little too much to heart. Interesting info at least and gives a little clarity to the situation.

I didnt watch last nights Tulsa-UConn game, but I can completely see if Hurley was in the Tulda bench why he got ejected. Friend of mine has a buddy that sits on press row and he said Hurley was yelling at Mick during the game at one point telling him to sit down and shut up. Is it common for coaches to talk during the game? I've never noticed this happen. Ever. Mick's second T came the other night after he came to midcourt, so that would make sense as to why he got tossed. I didnt really knock the second T cause he was going nuts at that point and doing it at mid court. I wish they wouldve sent that memo before the UConn game. Hurley wouldve been tossed in the first half. He and his assistants were on the court just about the whole game. The only other coach I've ever seen act like he did as far as constantly complaining to refs and out of the box and on the court was Buzz William's when he was at Marquette.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #155
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Mick's second T came the other night after he came to midcourt, so that would make sense as to why he got tossed. I didnt really knock the second T cause he was going nuts at that point and doing it at mid court.
mick probably felt as though the first one was a cheap one so they'd give him room before the 2nd.

Quote:
I didnt watch last nights Tulsa-UConn game, but I can completely see if Hurley was in the Tulda bench why he got ejected. Friend of mine has a buddy that sits on press row and he said Hurley was yelling at Mick during the game at one point telling him to sit down and shut up. Is it common for coaches to talk during the game?

i dont believe so. i have to think thats pretty frowned upon.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #156
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
mick probably felt as though the first one was a cheap one so they'd give him room before the 2nd.

i dont believe so. i have to think thats pretty frowned upon.
To be fair, he's always had that leash before. And that's kind of the point in his rant postgame. Coaches want and need clarity and consistency on what will be called and what wont. At the end of the day we won the game and Cronin now has ONE ejection in his entire career. It will be interesting to monitor going forward if these refs are really going to start tossing coaches left and right though.

And yeah I cant imagine that's in anyway tolerated. Outside of when coaches are asked to come to midcourt after a flagrant foul or worse I don't think I've ever seen coaches interact during a game.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #157
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
To be fair, he's always had that leash before. And that's kind of the point in his rant postgame. Coaches want and need clarity and consistency on what will be called and what wont. At the end of the day we won the game and Cronin now has ONE ejection in his entire career. It will be interesting to monitor going forward if these refs are really going to start tossing coaches left and right though.

i agree with this, but i also still think its a bad look when the players have to hold him back cause he's acting like he's going to go after the ref. everything before that is acceptable to me.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #158
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
i agree with this, but i also still think its a bad look when the players have to hold him back cause he's acting like he's going to go after the ref. everything before that is acceptable to me.
Its a bad look if he's actually going after a ref, I think he just wanted to get his say, not attack a guy. I've seen players restrain coaches plenty in that situation. I think it goes more to show how the players kept a cool head and know the situation. Mick is a fiery coach and that has its pluses and minuses but I like his passion. I do think Mick tends to lose his mind at refs at times (as a negative) but I cant talk cause I do too. Again, he is passionate and fights for the team and every call. That helps you more than it hurts.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #159
STKohls

STKohls is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The only other coach I've ever seen act like he did as far as constantly complaining to refs and out of the box and on the court was Buzz William's when he was at Marquette.
I remember a game against UCONN when whining Ollie was standing so far onto the floor he bumped a UC player because they were both watching a long shot. He didn't even get a warning...
STKohls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #160
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Can someone give me an estimated number of points added after a coach gets a technical or double technical?

Do we really think a coach getting techs gets us more calls after the technical? If yes, just how many calls are you expecting to flip in your favor? From there, how many points do you think it's worth over the rest of the game.

Even if the teams do get more calls after a coach gets a technical, do you really think that number of calls offsets giving usually an 80% FT shooter 2 or 4 attempts, which is either 1.6 expected points or 3.2 points.

I do not accept the premise that getting technicals results in your team getting more calls going forward. If it's true, I'm sure someone out there can pull data on it to support that.

Last edited by ervins84; 01-17-2019 at 06:30 PM.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote