Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Memphis

Thurs. February 7th, 2019
7:00 PM
ESPN2
FedEx Forum

Our first of two match-ups with Memphis (13-9, 5-4 AAC, NET #69, KP #83) represents the first of 5 opportunities for Q1 wins to boost the Bearcats' NCAA tournament resume.

Led by first year head coach Penny Hardaway, Memphis has proven to be one of the more erratic teams in the league thus far. They are 11-1 at home (lost to #1 Tennessee by 10) and 2-8 for neutral/away games. So far during AAC play they have beat Wichita St by 11, ECU by 6, SMU by 22 and UCF by 20 points - all at home.

Their top 8 players in minutes are all either Seniors or true Freshmen. They're led by Senior guard Jeremiah Martin, who despite seeing a drop in scoring from last year to this year, was still able to explode for 41 points (all second half) in Saturday's comeback effort against USF. Freshman guard Tyler Harris leads their youth movement at 12.6 ppg in just under 28 minutes a contest.

Memphis plays fast (#6 in tempo in the nation according to KenPom), scores frequently (they lead the AAC in scoring), and are one of the best teams in the nation at drawing fouls and getting to the foul line (although they've slowed down a little bit during AAC play). Like SMU who we just played, Memphis is also a very good offensive rebounding squad.

On the flip side, Memphis turns the ball over very frequently, fouls very frequently, and is one of the worst 3-point shooting teams in the conference.

Regardless of everything, Thursday will present one of our toughest games of the season yet.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Stay out of foul trouble Brooks, Cumberland, and Williams. Crash the boards. Get back on D. Take care of the ball. Win the game!

With Houston looming this game is huge!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
TheShoeFits

TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ry/2766313002/

Cool little article talking about Van Exel and Penny and how they joke about their playing days and now golf together.
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoeFits View Post
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ry/2766313002/

Cool little article talking about Van Exel and Penny and how they joke about their playing days and now golf together.
Can't remember where I heard the story, but supposedly Van Exel was walking around inside the Pyramid before a game(I think this was back when he was still playing in the NBA or had just recently started coaching and the Grizzlies were playing home games there).

He starts talking shop with some of the media guys and yucking it up before the game. Then he drops something like "Man! I owned this place. My jersey should be in those rafters for everything I did in this building."
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
TheShoeFits

TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
Line opens at -4.5. That number seems high.
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoeFits View Post
Line opens at -4.5. That number seems high.

got a bad feeling about these next 2
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #7
MylesFoxMorrisey

MylesFoxMorrisey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Can't remember where I heard the story, but supposedly Van Exel was walking around inside the Pyramid before a game(I think this was back when he was still playing in the NBA or had just recently started coaching and the Grizzlies were playing home games there).

He starts talking shop with some of the media guys and yucking it up before the game. Then he drops something like "Man! I owned this place. My jersey should be in those rafters for everything I did in this building."
I wish I could share Nick's fond memories about UC playing in the Pyramid.......
MylesFoxMorrisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:24 AM   #8
Quadri's #1 fan

Quadri's #1 fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post

got a bad feeling about these next 2
Then I'll offset that with having good feelings...

That means they'll win at least one!
Quadri's #1 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #9
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Coming after Cumberland early, he can’t get another one or else we all know where he will be for the rest of the half
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #10
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
How about a to to get logan out
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote