Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-30-2019, 08:51 PM   #91
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_bearcat View Post
Yes, as long as I can remember. Huggins, Cronin and now Brannen have never had good free throw shooting teams. Particularly at the end of games, when it should really matter the most.
I think it’s mostly because they weren’t great shooting teams. I think it will improve when we get better shooters.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:51 PM   #92
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Really impressed with Keith’s growth. I think he now needs to take the next step and be more assertive.

MAW - really impressed me tonight. That is two games in a row that he was a significant contributor. Hit a couple threes and played some great man to man D. Impressive for a freshman.

Vogt - was a solid in the second half. It looks like we actually ran some plays for him.

Davenport - hit a big shot and was solid in limited minutes.

Moore - greatest cheerleader to ever wear a UC Jersey.

Jarron - great at getting to the line. If only he could shoot FT’s like SK...

McNeal - sloppy, lost, and no confidence shooting. I hope this is just a funk because we are going to need to PG’s that can contribute if we are going to be competitive.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:53 PM   #93
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Brannen legit said on their radio show, they don’t practice free throws, he said billy donavan didn’t so he’s not gonna
I hope someone breaks the news to Brannen that he is no Billy Donovan. He should probably practice some free throws.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:39 PM   #94
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Haven’t our teams always been awful free throw shooters? At least it feels like it. Except for the sweet 16 team. Maybe I’m wrong
I’m saying Brannen’s have been generally worse then even our last few teams which were never good.

Maybe it’s coincidence but I brought this up a while ago that it was weird that a coach always seemed to have poor free throw shooting and what drove that. If he spends zero practice it’s at least a potential factor.

It means it relies solely on college kids getting better themselves at free throws
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:47 PM   #95
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I’m saying Brannen’s have been generally worse then even our last few teams which were never good.

Maybe it’s coincidence but I brought this up a while ago that it was weird that a coach always seemed to have poor free throw shooting and what drove that. If he spends zero practice it’s at least a potential factor.

It means it relies solely on college kids getting better themselves at free throws
practicing FT's is the biggest waste of time ever. Especially with this team. They need to be spending 100% of time on getting the offense in sync, learning the new defense, plays, etc. Not FT shooting. That is on the individual. Now if I'm Brannen I may be saying that once practice is over you are "volunteering" your time and won't leave until you make X amount of FT's, but no way am I spending the time during practice.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #96
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
Really impressed with Keith’s growth. I think he now needs to take the next step and be more assertive.

MAW - really impressed me tonight. That is two games in a row that he was a significant contributor. Hit a couple threes and played some great man to man D. Impressive for a freshman.

Vogt - was a solid in the second half. It looks like we actually ran some plays for him.

Davenport - hit a big shot and was solid in limited minutes.

Moore - greatest cheerleader to ever wear a UC Jersey.

Jarron - great at getting to the line. If only he could shoot FT’s like SK...

McNeal - sloppy, lost, and no confidence shooting. I hope this is just a funk because we are going to need to PG’s that can contribute if we are going to be competitive.
Keith still takes too many bad shots and forces things that aren't there. Did have a pretty good game tonight though.

Davenport and MAW have been impressing me. All 3 freshman should be really good by season end.

Scott is still a huge disappointment to me. I know he had 9 rebounds but gave up so many just b/c of lackluster effort or lack of focus. The last play of regulation where the guy hit the 3, that was all because Scott got lazy on his boxout and his guy got the rebound. Unacceptable for a senior.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:52 PM   #97
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Scott looks more lost than Vogt to be honest. I wouldn’t mind seeing how we look without Scott on the floor.
Agreed. Major disappointment this year.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:56 PM   #98
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Davenport should get some of Scott's minutes.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:07 PM   #99
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Davenport should get some of Scott's minutes.
Agreed. Scott basically gives you rebounds at this point, might as well give that to Davenport who has somewhat of an ability to knock down a shot.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:19 PM   #100
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
The paradise jam destroyed some fan momentum.

BCJ and here had very small game threads compared to earlier games. Brannen needs to get his first big win to get people feeling good again.

This is a brutal stretch upcoming
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote