Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #541
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
You're gonna beg for Vogt defense after watching Ivanauskas' defense.
Do you have some sort of evidence to back this up?

I haven't seen too much of Ivanauskas, but what I have seen of him he looks significantly more mobile and athletic than Vogt. He's also got good enough size (6'10", 230#) to defend with most centers. Maybe against a 7' banger type center Vogt would be a better defender, but against anyone else Ivanauskas should be.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:55 PM   #542
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Do you have some sort of evidence to back this up?

I haven't seen too much of Ivanauskas, but what I have seen of him he looks significantly more mobile and athletic than Vogt. He's also got good enough size (6'10", 230#) to defend with most centers. Maybe against a 7' banger type center Vogt would be a better defender, but against anyone else Ivanauskas should be.

he is more mobile than Vogt, but that alone doesn't make you a better defender.

go watch our highlight video vs them. he does not play defense. i know you're a big fan on box score +/- and those things, don't look them up.

Vogt still had a 5.8% block rate. Ivanauskas is 2.0.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #543
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
he is more mobile than Vogt, but that alone doesn't make you a better defender.

go watch our highlight video vs them. he does not play defense. i know you're a big fan on box score +/- and those things, don't look them up.

Vogt still had a 5.8% block rate. Ivanauskas is 2.0.
I got home from work not long ago, so I am catching up on learning about Ivanauskas. Colgate has a few full games (or condensed games) from the 2019-20 season on youtube.

Ivanauskas definitely has more athleticism and mobility than Vogt. But Ivanauskas seems to just quit on defense at times. Hopefully Brannen can coach this out of him. None the less, Ivanauskas is quite a bit more mobile and better against the pick-and-roll (Vogt's biggest weakness).

I'd be curious about his synergy defensive rating (need Justin). I'm not actually a big fan of DRTG, ORTG or D/OPM. I like the per 40 minute (or %) numbers. I think Vogt's block rate is a bit of an oddity and so high because he is so bad at cutting off the drive.

The more I watch, the harder I find it to believe that Ivanauskas would start at the 4 with Vogt at the 5. It just seems like a disaster on defense and a poor rebounding combination.

I think we will either see Vogt at the 5 and Diarra at the 4. Or Ivanauskas/Diarra as a more or less positionless 4/5 combination. We will probably try to steal minutes with Vogt/Ivanauskas together at times, but it's going to be problematic unless one or both improve significantly at defense during the off-season.

Last edited by skyblade; 04-14-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:23 PM   #544
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
We needed a big and we got one of the best available bigs out there. We could pick apart every transfer available right now. It’s a good get. He will serve a purpose. He probably fits the system better than Vogt.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:35 PM   #545
skyblade
Epic Member

Oh yeah, I like the signing. I think Diarra/Ivanauskas starting together is the type of combo that a lot of fans were hoping for when we got Brannen.

Ivanauskas, Diarra, Williams, Harvey and MAW. All 5 guys capable of shooting the ball. All 5 guys capable of running the floor. All but Diarra capable of handling the ball (and based on some of the videos Diarra has posted, Diarra may improve at that with playing time). Good enough defensively to get by.

It's not that I dislike the signing, just that I can't see Ivanauskas and Vogt playing together for significant amounts of time. In my mind this confirms Diarra as a starter, the question becomes will Ivanauskas or Vogt start with him.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:48 PM   #546
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
We needed a big and we got one of the best available bigs out there. We could pick apart every transfer available right now. It’s a good get. He will serve a purpose. He probably fits the system better than Vogt.
he fits the system better offensively than scott did. he's a true stretch 4.

i think part of the reason his numbers really tanked last year was bc they moved him to the 5. he had never played it before in his life and admitted to not being strong enough for it.

im all good with getting offensive minded players. i just like to troll a bit cause if skyblade couldn't stand Vogt's defense, skyblade is gonna lose his mind this year.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #547
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
he fits the system better offensively than scott did. he's a true stretch 4.

i think part of the reason his numbers really tanked last year was bc they moved him to the 5. he had never played it before in his life and admitted to not being strong enough for it.

im all good with getting offensive minded players. i just like to troll a bit cause if skyblade couldn't stand Vogt's defense, skyblade is gonna lose his mind this year.
If we start Ivanauskas and Vogt together I may, but I'm sure other fans will get tired of scoring 70+ points and losing by ten as well. As long as Diarra starts and we limit the amount of time Ivanauskas and Vogt play together I think we should be okay.

I'm also not convinced that Ivanauskas can play PF at this level, putting on 10-15 pounds and playing Center seems more realistic. I'm thinking Vogt/Ivanauskas may rotate at Center and Diarra/Eason at PF. Ivanauskas looks more like a stretch 5 than a stretch 4.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #548
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I know he’s a frosh but Eason is not chopped liver. He could factor in if Rap takes plays off or can’t defend or rebound.

I think Eason is a pretty complete package at the 4
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:23 PM   #549
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
If we start Ivanauskas and Vogt together I may, but I'm sure other fans will get tired of scoring 70+ points and losing by ten as well. As long as Diarra starts and we limit the amount of time Ivanauskas and Vogt play together I think we should be okay.

I'm also not convinced that Ivanauskas can play PF at this level, putting on 10-15 pounds and playing Center seems more realistic. I'm thinking Vogt/Ivanauskas may rotate at Center and Diarra/Eason at PF. Ivanauskas looks more like a stretch 5 than a stretch 4.
We play in the American. There are only a couple teams that have bigs that can play. I think he will be alright.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:05 PM   #550
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
We play in the American. There are only a couple teams that have bigs that can play. I think he will be alright.
Some people said that about Vogt too, but he got beat up in the American.

I've watched about 45 mins of Ivanauskas now, probably about all I will watch for a while. He seems to just quit on plays now and then and even in 2018-19 was outmatched defending at the 4. Even when he guarded his guy well, he didn't provide help defense, because he knew he couldn't recover.

I think he could be good enough defensively, but probably playing the 5. He has the height and frame to put on 10-15 more lbs. At the 4 he's going to have to defend a lot of smaller and more athletic guys. At the 5 if he puts on some weight he's not going to face many guys too big for him to defend (and we have Vogt if that does happen).

He does have a nice handle on offense, is a good passer and has a nice finishing touch. If Diarra can continue to knock down threes, Ivanauskas will be hard to stop surrounded by shooters.