Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
AAC Awards

I was listening to The Fieldhouse podcast. I think they are affiliated with The Athletic?

They broke down All-Conference teams for the P7. P5+2? P6+1? Idk. But every podcast I listen to does the Top 7 conferences for everything.

They had Clark 1st Team. I thought it was the most obvious thing in the world, as do all of us. But just the fact that the one guy had to make the comment "We were going to fight" (or something along those lines) if you didn't have Clark on. Luckily the other guy did! But that just shows how for some reason in the minds of the people who look at these things, they hesitate for some unknown reason when it comes to UC. They had to feel each other out to make sure Clark was supposed to be on there. We saw that last year when we went 16-2 in the league and had 1 2nd team player only. Clark should be unanimous POY. It's not even a debate. Obviously things could change from here, but at this point, how is it even a conversation? We saw last year SMU got all the awards in the world for winning the league and beating us by 1 game. We better get the same respect this year when we add Wichita to the league and win by even a wider margin.

They did not have Jacob Evans as 1st team All-AAC. Just couldn't find room for him bc they had to get the Tulane guy in there, of course Pretty Boy Rob the God Gray, and I honestly don't even know who else bc I was so annoyed. We're 12-0 in the f&%^ing league. How do people think that's happening? Evans leads the team in minutes, points, assists, steals, FT%, made 3s, deflections (important on a historically good defense), is shooting over 40% from 3, is our closer, etc. What in the hell?

If it was up to me, at this point, I'm going Clark and Evans 1st team and it's not even a debate. Bump someone else. I don't care who. We are the best team, we deserve that respect. And I'd go Washington and Cumberland 2nd team. And I'd say Broome is likely 6th man of the year.

I just don't get it. But let's hope when it's all said and done we are represented in these awards the way we should be. Our players have earned it...and a hell of a lot more than the players on some of the dumpy ass teams in the middle of the league.

Sorry but that just really bothered me. You can turn on any game with UC and it takes 2 seconds to realize that #11 and #1 for UC are making the biggest difference in the game. For either team. Couldn't be more obvious. You might actually have to watch though. I swear some of these people watching basketball games are like dogs just tracking and following the ball. And looking at PPG. Smh.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 02-12-2018 at 12:43 PM.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Based on last season's format (5 players on 1st Team, 6 players on 2nd Team), here's my early guess at All-AAC honors.

1st Team
Gary Clark
Rob Gray
Shake Milton
Landry Shamet
Jalen Adams

2nd Team
Jeremiah Martin
Melvin Frazier
Jacob Evans
Kyle Washington
Shaq Morris
Quinton Rose

All-Rookie Team
Ethan Chargois
Fabian White
Nate Pierre-Louis
David Collins
Shawn Williams

6th Man of the Year
Samir Sehic

Most Improved Player
Jeremiah Martin

Defensive Player of the Year
Gary Clark

Player of the Year
Gary Clark
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Based on last season's format (5 players on 1st Team, 6 players on 2nd Team), here's my early guess at All-AAC honors.

1st Team
Gary Clark
Rob Gray
Shake Milton
Landry Shamet
Jalen Adams

2nd Team
Jeremiah Martin
Melvin Frazier
Jacob Evans
Kyle Washington
Shaq Morris
Quinton Rose

All-Rookie Team
Ethan Chargois
Fabian White
Nate Pierre-Louis
David Collins
Shawn Williams

6th Man of the Year
Samir Sehic

Most Improved Player
Jeremiah Martin

Gary Clark

Player of the Year
Gary Clark
What else can Evans possibly bring to the best team in the league to get up there? I'm completely dumbfounded. He leads us in like every category. The gap between him and Clark isn't POY to 2nd team. Can you explain that? Why doesn't Shake Milton get docked for missing games? Why doesn't Adams get docked for putting up empty numbers on a garbage team? His %s in conference play are awful. They clearly showed last year that they value the conference championship. So if we get it, I just don't see how you can put a hurt guy and a loser who hasn't shot well ahead of Evans.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
NKY Bearcat

NKY Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:

1st Team
Gary Clark
Rob Gray
Shake Milton
Landry Shamet
Jalen Adams

2nd Team
Jeremiah Martin
Melvin Frazier
Jacob Evans
Kyle Washington
Shaq Morris
Quinton Rose

All-Rookie Team
Ethan Chargois
Fabian White
Nate Pierre-Louis
David Collins
Shawn Williams

6th Man of the Year
Samir Sehic

Most Improved Player
Jeremiah Martin

Gary Clark

Player of the Year
Gary Clark
It is going to be rough for Gary Clark to get player of the year. Normally it goes to an inefficient player with higher usage. Hopefully the national media can continue to push the narrative of him being the best player in the league.
NKY Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #5
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
You say UC should get respect, but what does history show? We all know what happens from here. Has the American shown anything that shows you they are going to change and respect UC this year? SK gets some made up award, nobody on 1st team etc... Be prepared for selection Sunday when the targets are moved, much like the first FB Playoff where TCU was in the playoff the second to last week and the final rankings when they dint play moved down 3 slots.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:

1st Team
Gary Clark
Rob Gray
Shake Milton
Landry Shamet
Jalen Adams

2nd Team
Jeremiah Martin
Melvin Frazier
Jacob Evans
Kyle Washington
Shaq Morris
Quinton Rose

All-Rookie Team
Ethan Chargois
Fabian White
Nate Pierre-Louis
David Collins
Shawn Williams

6th Man of the Year
Samir Sehic

Most Improved Player
Jeremiah Martin

Gary Clark

Player of the Year
Gary Clark
Rob Gray is overrated. I really don't see what other people see in him. Jalen Adams is very inefficient. That Fabian White kid is going to be a beast though.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
What else can Evans possibly bring to the best team in the league to get up there? I'm completely dumbfounded. He leads us in like every category. The gap between him and Clark isn't POY to 2nd team. Can you explain that? Why doesn't Shake Milton get docked for missing games? Why doesn't Adams get docked for putting up empty numbers on a garbage team? His %s in conference play are awful. They clearly showed last year that they value the conference championship. So if we get it, I just don't see how you can put a hurt guy and a loser who hasn't shot well ahead of Evans.
Evans is certainly a 1st team talent/contributor, but I'm guessing the coaches (who vote on these honors) will prioritize the players they picked for preseason 1st team who stayed relatively healthy and had decent seasons. That includes all the players I listed except BJ Taylor (who Clark replaced). Maybe the coaches will come to their senses and choose Evans over someone like Jalen Adams who is less efficient and whose team is not a contender. If Milton returns to play this season he will definitely make 1st team.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
All I know is: My boy Kenpom has 3 Bearcats in the top 5 of AAC player of the year.

The only reason they won't award them all 3 is because they will try to be fair but make no mistake, UC's players have been the most consistent players on the best team in the league

justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #9
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
You say UC should get respect, but what does history show? We all know what happens from here. Has the American shown anything that shows you they are going to change and respect UC this year? SK gets some made up award, nobody on 1st team etc... Be prepared for selection Sunday when the targets are moved, much like the first FB Playoff where TCU was in the playoff the second to last week and the final rankings when they dint play moved down 3 slots.
In AAC's 1st year (2014) it had 3 players on most 1st team All-American lists , I think. Kilpatrick, Napier and Smith.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
In AAC's 1st year (2014) it had 3 players on most 1st team All-American lists , I think. Kilpatrick, Napier and Smith.
I think he meant that Caupain got a made up award.