Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #51
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grgbartell@yahoo.com View Post
I'm a bit surprised at the class coming in this year, especially considering we have Clark and Washington leaving. Currently on the roster behind them, we have no one with any developed offensive skills. Is it the conference or can Mick just not land top tier talent? I really do like Keith Williams but after that I'm a bit disappointed in the players who I think will be projects. I know he knows much more than I do so I'll have to trust that these kids will show up and show out.
Conference is a major factor. I don't have the numbers but have seen them before, the AAC for the 2017 class have zero kids in the top 100. These league isn't moving on needles. Specifically in UC situation, playing time and having a full roster has left our coaches to be selective with the kids who want to come here.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #52
ThomasMac

ThomasMac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm a bit surprised at the class coming in this year, especially considering we have Clark and Washington leaving.
We are so deep in the front court that it's tough to get big men to commit when we can't guarantee any time. Heck, even Quadri saw the writing on the wall and he transferred. Plus the 2018 class isn't very strong when it comes to forwards and centers.

Quote:
Currently on the roster behind them, we have no one with any developed offensive skills.
I think we'll be happy with the progress Nysier and Tre made in the off-season. Both will be serviceable backups to Kyle and Gary. When they graduate, Nysier and Tre will have had plenty of experience going into their Junior years... and should be further along offensively.

Quote:
Is it the conference or can Mick just not land top tier talent? I really do like Keith Williams but after that I'm a bit disappointed in the players who I think will be projects.
Noseme is the only "project" in my opinion. Diarra was committed to Washington, so we aren't the only ones who think he can play. Trevor Moore will be a solid 4 year player who can shoot (you can never have too many of those guys). And I agree with what you said about Keith.
ThomasMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #53
ThomasMac

ThomasMac is on a distinguished road
Here is a more recent video of Logan... not sure if it's been posted yet. The more I watch, the more impressed I become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fOY_oJ4uIQ
ThomasMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #54
jds513

jds513 is on a distinguished road
He is extremely good at using both hands to finish. That is what i am really impressed by
jds513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #55
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds513 View Post
He is extremely good at using both hands to finish. That is what i am really impressed by
Yea watching video of him you don’t even realize he’s left handed until he starts shooting jumpers. He’s very good at finishing with his right
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #56
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
Yea watching video of him you don’t even realize he’s left handed until he starts shooting jumpers. He’s very good at finishing with his right
Yah...in this last video here he finished all shots around the rim with his right hand or with both. All of his dunks were either with right hand or both and it appears by design as some lone right hand dunk attempts were in warmups or open court. It looks like he actually PREFERS finishing around the rim with his right although he shoots outside with his left. In the first video I saw it was almost the same exact thing. Predominantly a right hand finisher by an overwhelming majority in the highlight videos.

I am not sure I can remember a guy who shoots lefty but prefers to finish with his right. It's strange but I think it's a huge asset to be that good with both hands. It appears he favors his left when dribbling and penetrating the lane but he doesn't mind assisting with his right at all.

Very ambidextrous! Tough to guard when going to the bucket because of that.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #57
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
One of my cousins was an incredible shooter and shot lefty, but was right-handed in all other aspects of life (except random things like shooting pool or throwing frisbee). Might be similar here. Either way, Logan Johnson's natural abilities are off the charts.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #58
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Yah...in this last video here he finished all shots around the rim with his right hand or with both. All of his dunks were either with right hand or both and it appears by design as some lone right hand dunk attempts were in warmups or open court. It looks like he actually PREFERS finishing around the rim with his right although he shoots outside with his left. In the first video I saw it was almost the same exact thing. Predominantly a right hand finisher by an overwhelming majority in the highlight videos.

I am not sure I can remember a guy who shoots lefty but prefers to finish with his right. It's strange but I think it's a huge asset to be that good with both hands. It appears he favors his left when dribbling and penetrating the lane but he doesn't mind assisting with his right at all.

Very ambidextrous! Tough to guard when going to the bucket because of that.
His shooting hand is left but his power dunk hand is right. How many players either can do that or prefer to do that? Maybe 1 out of 100?

He seems like a very solid PG in general...but with the reality that he can use both hands extremely well kind of pushes this recruit over the top for me.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #59
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
One of my cousins was an incredible shooter and shot lefty, but was right-handed in all other aspects of life (except random things like shooting pool or throwing frisbee). Might be similar here. Either way, Logan Johnson's natural abilities are off the charts.
Yah...I know some kids who could switch hit in baseball and maybe preferred to do most things right hand but 1 certain thing left hand (like golf or something unrelated). In basketball I don't know many, if any, who shoot left but have a power right hand dunk (or vice versa). Or dribble left and can zip the ball for an assist with the right. In one of the videos you can see him make a hard baseball pass style assist with his right hand even though his preferred dribble hand seems left.

It's just weird but it's definitely a huge positive for a PG to be so comfortable either way!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #60
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Yah...I know some kids who could switch hit in baseball and maybe preferred to do most things right hand but 1 certain thing left hand (like golf or something unrelated). In basketball I don't know many, if any, who shoot left but have a power right hand dunk (or vice versa). Or dribble left and can zip the ball for an assist with the right. In one of the videos you can see him make a hard baseball pass style assist with his right hand even though his preferred dribble hand seems left.

It's just weird but it's definitely a huge positive for a PG to be so comfortable either way!
He's college basketball's "most interesting man".

"I don't always prefer to dribble and shoot with my left...but when I do...I prefer to power dunk and finish with my right."