Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #41
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
We are shooting threes at the 11th lowest rate in the country, by far the fewest of any Cronin team.

Last night we only grabbed 60% of available defensive rebounds, 11% less than the national average. But we grabbed 50% of available offensive rebounds, 21% more than the national average. So overall not a bad rebounding night.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #42
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
We are continuly winning in ways we didn't think we could. Basically winning without Cumberland being a top scorer every night. This a complete team just not overly top 10 talented. But can we keep winning and could we be considered around the 20th best team in the nation? Yes, I don't see why not.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #43
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
We are shooting threes at the 11th lowest rate in the country, by far the fewest of any Cronin team.

Last night we only grabbed 60% of available defensive rebounds, 11% less than the national average. But we grabbed 50% of available offensive rebounds, 21% more than the national average. So overall not a bad rebounding night.

and this is true of cronin's teams every year. exceptional at offensive rebounding, below average at defensive rebounding.

and it both makes sense. we often put 2 bigs on the post when not a lot of teams do it anymore and we attack the offensive glass. on defense we switch and rotate and have bigs defending 3's and stuff, it makes it tough to always be able to box out.

but they really need to try to lock down for saturday. xavier is good at offensive rebounding and very good at offense in general. we can't afford to let them get their misses when they do miss.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #44
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
We are continuly winning in ways we didn't think we could. Basically winning without Cumberland being a top scorer every night. This a complete team just not overly top 10 talented. But can we keep winning and could we be considered around the 20th best team in the nation? Yes, I don't see why not.

we'll know a lot more in 2 weeks, but its definitely trending in the right direction. the emergence of keith williams has made it possible.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:41 AM   #45
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
and this is true of cronin's teams every year. exceptional at offensive rebounding, below average at defensive rebounding.
Every year is a bit of a stretch. We have been top 100 in defensive rebounding 3 times in 13 Cronin seasons, and top 200 in 7 seasons (more than half). This year we are exceptionally weak. I think some of it has to do with backcourt size. Broome and Jenifer don't really rebound at all, and usually our 3 is only 6'5". Our only guys who grab more than 12% of defensive rebounds are all 6'8" or taller.

Quote:
we can't afford to let them get their misses when they do miss.
Sure we can. We've been doing it for years. We just need to make up for it in other areas. I think the key against Xavier will be 3pt shooting. X gives up a ton of threes at a high percentage.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #46
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
was looking over the box score and we gave up 16 offensive boards to nku. thats completely unacceptable. thats an OR% of 40. nku averages 25%.

3 straight games giving up 36% or higher.

if we put up that kind of effort on the glass vs xavier its gonna be a long afternoon.

Brooks has 16 rebounds in his last 98 minutes played (5 games). Nsoseme has 16 in his last 40 minutes played.
Yah...Brooks needs to pick up the slack. I am fairly satisfied with how the rest of the team is rebounding for the most part.

What I was concerned about last night and against UNLV was some of our turnovers. We only had 11 last night (17 against UNLV) but there was about a 5 minute stretch there where we had about 4-5 turnovers. Cumberland had a WTF pass, Williams tried to throw over someone and got picked, Brooks threw one ob trying to get it to Cane. Maybe there were a couple more in there. To make matters worse during that stretch Scott pulled up for a mid range jumper on a semi fast break with no rebounders (Cronin was not happy), and Jarron pulled up for a full speed run and stop 3 ball (looked like he traveled) when he had a lane to the bucket on another semi fast break.

5 really bad and dumb plays that we got nothing out of and they probably scored 6-8 points off of. That's when they cut it to 10. I understand missing shots and making a bad pass here or there but we can't go through a 5 minute stretch of stupid like that against a higher caliber team.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #47
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Every year is a bit of a stretch. We have been top 100 in defensive rebounding 3 times in 13 Cronin seasons, and top 200 in 7 seasons (more than half). This year we are exceptionally weak. I think some of it has to do with backcourt size. Broome and Jenifer don't really rebound at all, and usually our 3 is only 6'5". Our only guys who grab more than 12% of defensive rebounds are all 6'8" or taller.

the last 5 years we've been 229, 236, 215, 182, 150. we are 222 so far this year. maybe i should have said every recent year, but i think a 5 year trend is sufficient.

Quote:
Sure we can. We've been doing it for years. We just need to make up for it in other areas. I think the key against Xavier will be 3pt shooting. X gives up a ton of threes at a high percentage.

not against this particular team. the way they've played offense has been hard for us to stop, and while they've shot an absolutely insane percent from 3 against us, they are usually getting open shots. we've given up 1.11 ppp the past 5 years combined against them and thats not normal for us. 102.1 ADJD average in those games (barttorvik number).

the only game we've won vs them the past 5 years we scored 129.8 PPP ourselves.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #48
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
rained in garbage by shitty shooters on contested looks are not "open shots."

i also think our defensive rebounding percentage is dragged down by the overall success of the defense - bad shots that explode like grenades off the backboard are a lot easier to rebound for the offense.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #49
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:

yeah they've been terrible defending the 3 this year. we don't really shoot it. jenifer will likely get a bunch of open looks if they play like last year and choose not to guard him. im sure they'll live with giving anybody but cumberland looks from 3.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #50
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman81 View Post
rained in garbage by shitty shooters on contested looks are not "open shots."

i also think our defensive rebounding percentage is dragged down by the overall success of the defense - bad shots that explode like grenades off the backboard are a lot easier to rebound for the offense.

xavier under mack got open shots vs everybody. they ran very good offense. im not sure what it looks like this year, but their efficiency numbers are still good.

we have bigs contest 3 point shots, other teams really dont have that going on. we get our guards switched down into the paint on bigs. there has to be some weakness in a defense, you can't stop everything always.