Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-20-2017, 12:04 AM   #1
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
How do you feel about this season? 2016-17

I get the feeling that most people are accepting of the season (we all wished for more tourney wins, and nearly everyone would have been OK with the season had we won tonight).

Very nice regular season, competed for conference title. Beat Eggz, won a couple conference tourney games including UCONN at their place), won one NCAA tourney game as 6 seed. All 3 sr's graduated, no off the court issues.

I thought Mick did a great job subbing in JJ and JC and NB in the first half of games this year so they were not cold if needed in the second half (JC was obviously a fixture in both halves). That was a new adjustment he made as was his continued to evolve and become more offensive minded.

Still such a bummer to have the season end.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 AM   #2
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
This was one of the most enjoyable seasons in recent memory for me as a Bearcats fan. One loss to a crazy good team will not change that for me. Excited for next year and saddened this year is over. In my mind, 30-6 far exceeds what I expected this year. I'd call it extremely successful.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:59 AM   #3
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
This was one of the most enjoyable seasons in recent memory for me as a Bearcats fan. One loss to a crazy good team will not change that for me. Excited for next year and saddened this year is over. In my mind, 30-6 far exceeds what I expected this year. I'd call it extremely successful.
Obviously disappointing tonight. Disappointing for the SRs that they didn't get the AAC Title at 16-2 and came up short in the Championship game. But the successes outweigh any disappointment x10 for me. There is so much for this group to be proud of. Just something special this season that you could see on the court. Watching these guys play was such a treat. I think this team will age very well. Pretty loaded roster with true Bearcats who will be remembered forever in program history. Sucks it had to come to an end.

Our SRs are all class. And they are graduating and leaving with 102 wins. That's a hell of a lot. 25 win seasons are great accomplishments and they averaged that and went to 4 NCAA Tournaments. Most players don't come anywhere near that in their careers. So congrats to them and thanks to them also for the great memories.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:07 AM   #4
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Very good year. Fun season. Home streak and 30 wins are impressive. Failing to win the conference (regular season or tournament) and failing to make the sweet 16 are real bummers for this team.

Next man up
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:08 AM   #5
CHEER CINCY
Banned

CHEER CINCY is on a distinguished road
For this being Mick Cronins "best team," I expected more. The highlight of our year was beating Xavier, plain and simple. I want to get to a point where thats not the ONLY highlight of our year. We have to get a top 4 seed in the tourney to avoid these awful first round matchups. That means WINNING the conf reg season and conf tourney for once. You want to be first class elite program, it starts with dominating this mediocre conference.
CHEER CINCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:10 AM   #6
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Really enjoyable year. we won a lot of games. We all wish we would have won the league or went to the sweet 16, but it didn't happen. This was the first year in awhile I thought we had the talent to compete. We aren't totally there yet but we are set up to be really good for the next 2-3 years. I hope we keep bringing in talented players and keep improving every year.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:12 AM   #7
DCBearcat

DCBearcat is on a distinguished road
Fun season to watch, we accomplished a lot but I would say that overall it was a disappointment. No disrespect to SMU but considering how bad our league was we should have won the league title (or at the very least the tourney). People will say that UCLA is just a better team but unless you're a 1 seed you're going to have to pull off some upsets to make a run . Although I do feel that we got a bad draw. I'm hopeful for next year although we've been saying that for years now. Even more depressing when you see teams like X make the sweet 16 year after year...

Last edited by DCBearcat; 03-20-2017 at 06:21 AM.
DCBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 AM   #8
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEER CINCY View Post
For this being Mick Cronins "best team," I expected more. The highlight of our year was beating Xavier, plain and simple. I want to get to a point where thats not the ONLY highlight of our year. We have to get a top 4 seed in the tourney to avoid these awful first round matchups. That means WINNING the conf reg season and conf tourney for once. You want to be first class elite program, it starts with dominating this mediocre conference.
I agree. The goal has to be to get a top 4 seed next year. Its hard to beat a top 10 team in the 2nd round. It can happen but the talent level of those teams is hard to beat. Longer we can avoid them the better
Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 AM   #9
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBearcat View Post
Fun season to watch, we accomplished a lot but I would say that overall it was a disappointment. No disrespect to SMU but considering how bad our league was we should have won the league title (or at the very least the tourney). People will say that UCLA is just a better team but unless you're a 1 seed you're going to have to pull off some upsets to make a run (like the 92 team did). I'm hopeful for next year although we've been saying that for years now. Even more depressing when you see teams like X make the sweet 16 year after year...
Didn't the 92 team play all lower seeds?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:21 AM   #10
DCBearcat

DCBearcat is on a distinguished road
You're right. For some reason I thought they had pulled off some upsets. I stand corrected. However, at some point I hope to be able to advance despite having a bad draw.

Last edited by DCBearcat; 03-20-2017 at 06:24 AM.
DCBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote