Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #371
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't get Cronin sometimes; all this positioning like, Virginia Tech seriously?? At one point UNLV... Historical those programs don't compare I could understand UCLA but at some point it's like do you want to be here or what. I feel he's a good coach that def needs to get better and get over himself with some of the decisions he makes and sometimes he coaches these players with his heart which can be good or bad obviously he still has things to learn. He can get over that tournament hump but this other job stuff is ridiculous clearly we need to advance at some point but some fans on the other hand really will suffocate the issue, which can and has trickeled down to the KIDS who don't get paid so there is two sides. If Mick leaves speak with Van Exel. For some reason I just don't feel us and patino mix that well
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #372
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
I don't get Cronin sometimes; all this positioning like, Virginia Tech seriously?? At one point UNLV... Historical those programs don't compare I could understand UCLA but at some point it's like do you want to be here or what. I feel he's a good coach that def needs to get better and get over himself with some of the decisions he makes and sometimes he coaches these players with his heart which can be good or bad obviously he still has things to learn. He can get over that tournament hump but this other job stuff is ridiculous clearly we need to advance at some point but some fans on the other hand really will suffocate the issue, which can and has trickeled down to the KIDS who don't get paid so there is two sides. If Mick leaves speak with Van Exel. For some reason I just don't feel us and patino mix that well
I agree that UNLV made zero sense. While if I were choosing I’d pick UC over UCLA or Va tech I can see the pull to both of those programs. But less so for a coach that is at his alma mater he has called his “dream job”.

I’m tired of this nonsense each year now though. He needs to up recruiting and this ain’t helping.

I actually feel like Pitino and UC is the perfect mix. He gets back to college, he knows the program, he can win and he needs someone to take a chance in him (it appears bigger programs haven’t been willing yet). Good chance to nab him and see what happens. Auburn taking a chance on Oearl worked. Houston taking a chance on Sampson worked.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #373
cincycpaw
Epic Member

Oh and Sean Kilpatrick is on Ricks current roster.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #374
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
I agree that UNLV made zero sense. While if I were choosing I’d pick UC over UCLA or Va tech I can see the pull to both of those programs. But less so for a coach that is at his alma mater he has called his “dream job”.

I’m tired of this nonsense each year now though. He needs to up recruiting and this ain’t helping.

I actually feel like Pitino and UC is the perfect mix. He gets back to college, he knows the program, he can win and he needs someone to take a chance in him (it appears bigger programs haven’t been willing yet). Good chance to nab him and see what happens. Auburn taking a chance on Oearl worked. Houston taking a chance on Sampson worked.
Yes yes, I do wonder about his passion to be our coach since he's been a rival for so long. I guess that's just the fan in me. I do feel that he has something to prove it would be an interesting dynamic... If Nick Van Excel is ready I believe it's a better fit and would be a great chance for him but it all depends on how ready he is I just don't want some random guy that we know the potential of who hasn't necessarily surpassed Cronin in the Craft. We need to continue to win how we are with tournament success Cronin has done a good job at this point but not Great but in time he can he's still young. Not to over think this he's still the best most certain choice right now I hope he stays
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #375
ChesterCat

ChesterCat is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't it be a bit otherworldly to have both Van Exel and Hardaway back on the court facing each other as Bearcats and Tigers once again?!
ChesterCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #376
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
Pitino=Tuberville, disaster ready to happen
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #377
cincycpaw
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME80 View Post
Pitino=Tuberville, disaster ready to happen
When has Pitino failed to win?
Old 04-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #378
Uclawrugby

Uclawrugby is on a distinguished road
I am ready for the triumphant return of Huggs to Clifton. I would take that over Pitino who really would be an embarrassment. That said hopefully we can bring someone in of stature who can pull in top recruits which we have not seen in a very long time.
Uclawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #379
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
If he were to leave, I'd think he would pick UCLA over VA Tech. The history of the program probably means more to Mick and it would be a professional honor to him just to get the hire. If he goes to VA Tech, I see it as he's been here long enough and wants a change of scenery.

First, UCLA have a roster loaded with more talent right now than Mick has ever had and he might be able to really win in a fashion he never could here. Steve Alford had several great recruiting classes in a row and talented west coast high school kids love the idea of UCLA over other options out there.

Second, VA Tech's conference is just way more challenging to make your mark. At least right now in the ACC it is. Recruiting in Blacksburg would be just as challenging as Cincinnati IMO. ACC might draw more attention, but you have a ton more high quality competition for kids. PAC12 is pretty loaded with good programs too, but the dynamic is way more fluid and I think UCLA could have a chance with a good coach.

Mick might never win big in the tournament, but he's gonna win no matter what conference he's in.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:20 PM   #380
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
When has Pitino failed to win?
No way would I want someone with that type of baggage
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote