Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
EKU

Sunday, November 12th, 2022
12:00 PM
Fifth Third Arena
ESPN+

The Bearcats (2-0) welcome the Colonels (1-1) to Cincy for the first time since 2008 in what will be UC's last home game until November 30th.

Eastern Kentucky is coming off a 66-60 home loss to Western Kentucky where they blew an 8-point 2nd half lead and shot less than 34% as a team from the field.

EKU returns 3 starters from last season's 13-18 team that finished #260 in KenPom under 5th year head coach A.W. Hamilton.

The 21/22 team finished 24th in Adjusted Tempo and led the nation in team FG and 3FG attempts per game. In turn, they were a very poor defensive team.

The Bearcats are 17.5 point favorites.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #2
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Pretty solid half that could've ended even better had our defense not eased up a bit over the last 5 minutes.

Second chance points has been the biggest difference maker so far as we're destroying them on the offensive boards.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:17 PM   #3
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Big game from Hensley. In the early season it seems that Lakhin and Hensley are the best big men pair. We have a lot of niche players who do a couple things well and play hard. I'd say DDJ, Nolley, Hensley, and Lakhin make up the core group of well rounded players. Davenport is still not a great defender/rebounder and not much of a passer or decision maker. He plays really hard and can be a hot shooter, which IMO is exactly what you want from a bench player. Phinisee, MAW, and Ody are also good role players. Ezikpe seems lost out there. He could be most useful against the press because he is a great handler and passer as a 5. I'm surprised they didn't try him receiving the ball near half court against the press today.

When Newman is healthy, my ideal starting 5 is probably DDJ, Newman, Nolley, Hensley, Lakhin.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:17 PM   #4
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

The game was won over the first 15 minutes and the final 5.

Another stellar showing from DDJ while everyone else in the starting 5 had strong spells scattered throughout the game.

Hensley had arguably his most cohesive performance as a Bearcat today. Hopefully it translates to success in Maui.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:51 PM   #5
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Defense has a long way to go.

Hensley looked active, needs to rebound a bit more.

Ody has to be the #2 C.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 02:37 PM   #6
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
The effort was there today. If we could give back about 4 poor 3 pt choices and get better looks it might not have been as close. We got caught up in running up and down the court and firing off poor shot choices...3 balls and step back long 2's. That's not how to put teams away.

No issues with effort today. I hope Kalu can refocus at this time...he's out of sync and probably unsure of where he impacts this team. Ody and Hensley seem to be figuring it out. MAW and Rob likely know what they are. Vik does what he does. Skillings is still trying to figure it out as a frosh but the ceiling is very high with him. I hope Newman can return this year.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:45 PM   #7
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I only watched the first half, will watch the 2nd later tonight. As you guys know, I didn't expect Kalu to be good, but even I've been surprised by how little of an impact he's had on offense. I wonder if struggles on defense and rebounding are throwing off his focus on offense. He was our worst in +/- again today.

The good news is Ody showed something today as did Hensley, so our backup big men may not be a complete distaster.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:30 PM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I only watched the first half, will watch the 2nd later tonight. As you guys know, I didn't expect Kalu to be good, but even I've been surprised by how little of an impact he's had on offense. I wonder if struggles on defense and rebounding are throwing off his focus on offense. He was our worst in +/- again today.

The good news is Ody showed something today as did Hensley, so our backup big men may not be a complete distaster.
Still tracking plus minus...including Chaminade.

Nolley 64
DDJ 47
Vik 47
JD 43
Rob 36
Hensley 35
Ody 30
MAW 26
Skillings 16
Newman 13 (1 game)
Kalu -5

Per minutes played adjusted...(not counting Newman who would be first at 1.30)

Ody 1.20 (plus points per minute played)
Vik .87
Nolley .72
Hensley .70
Rob .60
DDJ .59
JD .54
MAW .45
Skillings .44
Kalu -negative .17

Surprised? Small sample but there are some major differences

Last edited by waterhead; 11-13-2022 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:34 PM   #9
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Finished watching the game. The big change at half time seemed to be just lack of energy, thinking the game was over. Nolley and Davenport especially stopped crashing the glass (until the final 4 minutes or so).

Hensley was excellent, he seems to be stepping up into a key backup role and there's an argument to be made that he should be starting.

Phinisee came up with some big steals and rebounds, was better against the press than MAW. But, at some point teams are going to stop defending him and dare him to make threes. EKU was starting to do it at times, Phinisee's man would just hang out in the paint.

Any word on Skillings injury? Also did anyone notice Hensley came up limping around the 13 minute of the second half and was holding upper thigh for a bit. Either he was cramping or it's a known lingering injury as he stayed in and none of the coaches seemed concerned.

I'm curious how deep in the bench Wes will go once we start playing better competition. Ody and Hensley (and Newman once healthy) looked like they deserve minutes off the bench. Phinisee as well, but as I noted I'm concerned about what happens if/when teams simply stop guarding him and dare him to shoot.

Also Vik took over the end of the game. He needs to learn to be smarter going for rebounds (though he also got called for one complete B.S. foul). In the past he could go all out for rebounds and if he got called for a foul it was no big deal. But as our best center, he needs to be smart and avoid some of those fouls. He brings too much value when on the floor, can't afford to have him on the bench because of fouls.

Last edited by skyblade; 11-13-2022 at 07:38 PM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:43 PM   #10
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Still tracking plus minus...including Chaminade.

Nolley 64
DDJ 47
Vik 47
JD 43
Rob 36
Hensley 35
Ody 30
MAW 26
Skillings 16
Newman 13 (1 game)
Kalu -5

Per minutes played adjusted...(not counting Newman who would be first at 1.30)

Ody 1.20 (plus points per minute played)
Vik .87
Nolley .72
Hensley .70
Rob .60
DDJ .59
JD .54
MAW .45
Skillings .44
Kalu -negative .17

Surprised? Small sample but there are some major differences
I would not change my starting lineup over this info. But Ody would start playing more than Kalu for sure. And Hensley is earning more minutes. that's about it for now.