Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2022, 11:36 AM   #71
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I am speaking of ACTUAL plus minus not algorithms. Vik was at the bottom. Kalu might be as well but I calculated actual plus minus every few games based on Go Bearcats gamebook which had the actual +/- numbers for every game. Algorithms are interesting but actual numbers are better.

That being said...Wes and company have evaluated all that stuff and game tape and synergy situations. Why bring him in if it did not look good or at least semi advantageous?
In full disclosure. The best bigs ACTUAL plus minus were Koval and Ody. Ado and Vik were way down the list.

Guys like Newman and MAW (for most of the year for MAW...he fell off) were doing very well and among the best of the starters. Why did we bring in Phinisee? Because defense seems to be a big factor in +/-.

JD and DDJ were hanging in around average but considering usage and efficiency it makes sense. And considering defense it makes sense.

I don't know where to get ACTUAL plus minus for other teams but GoBearcats has it in the Gamebooks for every game if you want to investigate.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:55 AM   #72
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't know where to get ACTUAL plus minus for other teams but GoBearcats has it in the Gamebooks for every game if you want to investigate.
EvanMiya's +/- should be "actual". I have no reason to believe they are not. I don't see a season total on GoBearcats and they don't have Gamebooks for every game so it's impossible to do manually (unless you want to go through the play-by-play of every game). The "algorithm" should just be parsing play-by-play data.

Thanks for pointing the Gamebooks out though. There were two games I specifically remember DDJ being iso'd and us not doing anything about it - @Temple and USF. DDJ had +/- of -9 and -10 in those games, worst on the team. His defense as a SG is a serious concern for me. +/- can be useful if you have a specific case where an individual performance was notewrothy.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #73
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
EvanMiya's +/- should be "actual". I have no reason to believe they are not. I don't see a season total on GoBearcats and they don't have Gamebooks for every game so it's impossible to do manually (unless you want to go through the play-by-play of every game). The "algorithm" should just be parsing play-by-play data.

Thanks for pointing the Gamebooks out though. There were two games I specifically remember DDJ being iso'd and us not doing anything about it - @Temple and USF. DDJ had +/- of -9 and -10 in those games, worst on the team. His defense as a SG is a serious concern for me. +/- can be useful if you have a specific case where an individual performance was notewrothy.
Here is just one example of a gamebook with actual plus minus but they were there for every game. And I do not think Evan Miya is actual.

https://gobearcats.com/documents/202...orgia_Book.PDF
Old 04-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #74
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Here is just one example of a gamebook with actual plus minus but they were there for every game. And I do not think Evan Miya is actual.

It's the last column
Old 04-27-2022, 12:25 PM   #75
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Sometimes you have to get creative to find the plus minus. At times it's listed under gamebook and others under recap or boxscore. But they were all available somewhere to find for every game

In certain instances I had to click on what looked like a recap of another game to find the box score for the game I was looking for. But I eventually found them all.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:31 PM   #76
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Sometimes you have to get creative to find the plus minus. At times it's listed under gamebook and others under recap or boxscore. But they were all available somewhere to find for every game

In certain instances I had to click on what looked like a recap of another game to find the box score for the game I was looking for. But I eventually found them all.
You can find gamebook right on the schedule for a lot of games in the results section.

but for instance the Jan 30 game against ECU does not show gamebook on the results. But if you click the link for recap you can find a link in red above the next game against Memphis and it says Gamebook. That was the gamebook for ECU not Memphis.

Poor planning from UC but it's all there.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:11 PM   #77
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Thanks, this is an interesting resource I hadn't looked into before. I may have to total these for myself at some point. They even have +/- broken out by half. Against Tulsa, Saunders had a +/- of -14 in only 7 first half minutes
Old 04-27-2022, 01:25 PM   #78
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

In that Temple game I was referring to, DDJ had a +/- of -17 in the second half despite being the leading scorer.

The shot charts are great too.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:15 PM   #79
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, this is an interesting resource I hadn't looked into before. I may have to total these for myself at some point. They even have +/- broken out by half. Against Tulsa, Saunders had a +/- of -14 in only 7 first half minutes
It's the only free resource of actual plus minus I could put my hands on. I did do a spreadsheet for about 3/4 of the year. Then I got lazy.

Newman was always at the top for starters but slid after his injury a bit and came back. MAW was 2nd for a long time but was sliding big time at the end.

Koval and Ody were pretty high as part timer bigs.

Vik was not doing well which surprised me. Ado was low on the list probably because he added no offense.

The rest of the guys were pretty much in line with each other but obviously JD and DDJ were high usage guys and presented some defensive problems.

I did not do a full season but there were some surprises to say the least especially in short spurts or individual games as you have noticed already.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:59 PM   #80
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's crazy. The individual +/- for games was as large as 20 or 30 points between certain players. But the overall yearly average is what I was interested in.