Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #271
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Yeah I understand the NKU thing messed up the vibe, that's why I kept saying this and last year lol. Really sucks out best season in 12 years wasn't played at home. I'm hoping we can still manage to put up 70-71 a game. Idk how, but I'm hoping lol.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #272
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Well go back and read my posts. I've certainly put things on Mick. Almost every post we've discussed it, I've said he had plenty of faults. But you guys act like all of it falls on him, or at least almost all. Which I'm sorry I just don't believe to be the case. And I'm sorry that our fan base has changed. I've been going to games for 20+ years now, and was there for the glory days with Huggs. I know he built that team up and our program to an all time high, and our fans were wild. But if we are gonna talk about why things aren't the same, don't we have to look at the reaction of the fans too? Do you think many of these other blue bloods (which I would say we pretty much were minus a NC when Huggins was here), would just completely abandon the team and program for 5, 6, 7 years just because the coach got fired for being, well you know.. I know people were mad at the school, but the basketball program didn't fire him, and the players certainly didn't. But it all disappeared for a long time, and Mick has done a lot, minus a long tourney run, and yet we still only sell out big games, the atmosphere is none the same. I'm just pointing out facts, I'm not outright blaming everything on this, clearly. But to ignore it... I know I'm the guy you n jake are loving to hate on because I don't hate our coach for losing, or wanna cry for a summer, but alright lll
So you’re wondering why fans aren’t as excited about today’s team, as opposed to a team that went to 3 straight elite 8s, and 1 final 4, and were top 5 in the country for several years?
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #273
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
So you’re wondering why fans aren’t as excited about today’s team, as opposed to a team that went to 3 straight elite 8s, and 1 final 4, and were top 5 in the country for several years?
When did Huggins ever go to 3 straight Elite 8's?

He went to the elite 8 and then final four then round of 64, round of 32 then another Elite 8.

Huggins best years at UC were all behind him. In his First 7 years he had 2 Elite 8's and a final 4.

His last 9 years he had 1 sweet 16 and 8 round of 32/64 exits,

Huggins made the NCAA's 14 times as a Bearcat and he was upset 8 times by a lower seed.

It goes to show that early success can buy you a decade plus of mediocrity.

I'd argue that people left supporting the program in part because of Huggins failings in his last 9 years however he was living off of stock he bought in his first years and it kept the pressure off his back. But when Cronin came in, he inherited that dismay from disgruntled fans and even more so during the rebuild.

Huggins has been a D1 coach for years and years and yet has 2 final fours. People around here think he is Jesus and yet, he hasn't won a conference title since he was in the shitty conference USA.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #274
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

He went to the elite 8 and then final four then round of 64, round of 32 then another Elite 8.

Huggins best years at UC were all behind him. In his First 7 years he had 2 Elite 8's and a final 4.

Huggins made the NCAA's 14 times as a Bearcat and he was upset 8 times by a lower seed.

I'd argue that people left supporting the program in part because of Huggins failings in his last 9 years however he was living off of stock he bought in his first years and it kept the pressure off his back. But when Cronin came in, he inherited that dismay from disgruntled fans and even more so during the rebuild.

Huggins has been a D1 coach for years and years and yet has 2 final fours. People around here think he is Jesus and yet, he hasn't won a conference title since he was in the shitty conference USA.
I agree with all this.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #275
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

Got my years wrong. I don’t check facts. Yeah, I don’t care about Huggins. I liked him when he was here. I like mick. But of course fans are going to be more excited about a top team in the country that had some postseason sucesss. Like I said earlier, college basketball was also a lot bigger. To me, it’s just another excuse for mick. Yes some things are harder for him but he doesn’t help his self with the postseason early exits.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #276
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I agree with all this.
Just like being a local guy and building a program back up to NCAA tournament level apparently gets you a free pass with no post-season success.

Name the coach:

NCAA Tournament: 10 Years (6-10), 0 Final Fours, 0 Championships

NCAA Tournament: 24 Years (33-24), 2 Final Fours, 0 Championships

NCAA Tournament: 5 Years (10-5), 1 Final Four, 0 Championship

NCAA Tournament: 2 Years (2-2), 0 Final Fours, 0 Championships
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #277
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

also, if you are calling huggins last decade mediocrity, what is cronin's last decade? not saying I disagree, just curious what the difference is
Old 04-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #278
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You should probably mention the 99-00 team. That wasn't mediocrity. But you represent it as if the Sweet 16 team was better. Just want to make sure we are being honest about how and why things are remembered a certain way. And using only his worst years under Huggins to excuse the record of the current coach doesn't do anyone any good.

Mick Cronin needs to be better. He is our coach. He is going into year 13. And he needs to be better. Worrying about any other head coach in relation to UC is a waste of time.

I don't give a crap about Bob Huggins. It's been almost half my life since he was the coach here. I know you weren't the one who brought him up. But god damn. Is there anything really left to say about Bob Huggins? Can we all just assume every single person on the board knows exactly what happened under every year of Huggins? It is no longer relevant.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #279
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
So you’re wondering why fans aren’t as excited about today’s team...
There's a very wide gap between "not as excited" and "blaming Mick for all of our problems". There is a middle ground, where fans can be less excited than they were in the 90's and feel that Mick is currently the best choice for the program. Fans can also measure success in different ways. Tournament struggles don't necessarily negate regular season success for everyone.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #280
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
There's a very wide gap between "not as excited" and "blaming Mick for all of our problems". There is a middle ground, where fans can be less excited than they were in the 90's and feel that Mick is currently the best choice for the program. Fans can also measure success in different ways. Tournament struggles don't necessarily negate regular season success for everyone.
I’ve always said there is a middle ground. I question the people that say he can do no wrong. They blame the fans more than the coach. The fire mick crowd at least admits things he does well.