Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #1201
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Now we can agree on something. There is a method to Micks madness. We may not all agree with it but he manages the roster with a thought process. I am sure he is managing the players with the sole purpose of trying to win the game not playing favorites. Again you don't win at the level he has by being stupid or having very little idea how to manage a game or team. now if your saying your not satisfied with his performance based on wins and losses that is another matter.
I don't think it has to be either you accept his process bc he's won a lot of games, or you aren't satisfied with his performance based on wins and losses. You can be satisfied and still question aspects of the process. He's isn't infallible.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #1202
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I don't think it has to be either you accept his process bc he's won a lot of games, or you aren't satisfied with his performance based on wins and losses. You can be satisfied and still question aspects of the process. He's isn't infallible.
I agree completely!!! That is part of the fun. My only problem is when people try to make their argument by making him look like a idiot. There are many ways to skin a cat.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #1203
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Oh Jake it is quantifiable. 11-2 this season so far and 7 straight NCAA appearances. He has built a very solid program.
Hard to lean on this bc we can't know how the alternative would've played out in any of these situations. Caupain over Guyn, Evans over Thomas, Broome over Jenifer etc could've made a difference in games. The stats indicate so anyway. What I hear from you is that you trust Coach's gut over any other measure. That's pretty high praise. And I wouldn't expect anyone else to go that far, even those of us who are quite pleased with the shape of the program.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #1204
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I agree completely!!! That is part of the fun. My only problem is when people try to make their argument by making him look like a idiot. There are many ways to skin a cat.
Fun fact, I just learned that this is referring to catfish. Makes a whole lot more sense that way lol.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #1205
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Hard to lean on this bc we can't know how the alternative would've played out in any of these situations. Caupain over Guyn, Evans over Thomas, Broome over Jenifer etc could've made a difference in games. The stats indicate so anyway. What I hear from you is that you trust Coach's gut over any other measure. That's pretty high praise. And I wouldn't expect anyone else to go that far, even those of us who are quite pleased with the shape of the program.
Jake when I am giving that trust it is based on how I think he has done his job. To take bits and pieces of the overall picture and say if he would have done this or that we could have been a bit better is not very practicle. Judging him on overall performance is how I base my opinion. I really think in todays college athletics we are lucky to have him. If I didn't I would be saying lets make a change. I also only follow one team closely, so I have little else to compare his handling of his players.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #1206
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Fun fact, I just learned that this is referring to catfish. Makes a whole lot more sense that way lol.
lol
Old 12-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #1207
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Now we can agree on something. There is a method to Micks madness. We may not all agree with it but he manages the roster with a thought process. I am sure he is managing the players with the sole purpose of trying to win the game not playing favorites. Again you don't win at the level he has by being stupid or having very little idea how to manage a game or team. now if your saying your not satisfied with his performance based on wins and losses that is another matter.

I've never thought mick was stupid. I understand the way he runs his program and why he does it the way he does it.

But I've always thought coaching can take you to a certain level but after that talent matters. I think you can absolutely get to the tournament with good coaching. I think you need talent and coaching to advance deep. I believe the talent is on this roster.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #1208
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I've never thought mick was stupid. I understand the way he runs his program and why he does it the way he does it.

But I've always thought coaching can take you to a certain level but after that talent matters. I think you can absolutely get to the tournament with good coaching. I think you need talent and coaching to advance deep. I believe the talent is on this roster.
I like our talent. Need to keep getter better and hopefully playing our best at the tourney?
Old 12-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #1209
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I like our talent. Need to keep getter better and hopefully playing our best at the tourney?
yep! no reason it can't happen.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #1210
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Jake when I am giving that trust it is based on how I think he has done his job. To take bits and pieces of the overall picture and say if he would have done this or that we could have been a bit better is not very practicle. Judging him on overall performance is how I base my opinion. I really think in todays college athletics we are lucky to have him. If I didn't I would be saying lets make a change. I also only follow one team closely, so I have little else to compare his handling of his players.
I understand your point. But I never played college ball and I can see if a player has good ball handling or bad. I can say that player needs improvement in that area without needing to be a player or coach. I can also respect a players overall game but that doesn't mean we can't ask for improvement. Same goes with coaching.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote