Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 08-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #51
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
I think Nsoseme is our best big guy
I think him playing with Scott is the best 4-5 combo. That’s if the juco can really command a lot of minutes at the 3...or even the 4 for small ball.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:56 AM   #52
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I think Scott will show big leaps on the scoring end.

I can agree, that I don't know if we will necessarily be better on defense this year but we wont miss a beat IMO. We will be just as good.

I just still think a lot can happen with this team. Some of these guys haven't been forced to step up yet so it's hard for us to see the light at the end of the tunnel, well now they are going to have to (Scott and Brooks).

Just like it was time to see leaps in Justin Jackson on the offensive end we did. It's going to be tougher without Gary and KW for sure but we will be ok. It will be a fun year with a lot of good games on the schedule
I could see each of those guys in the 8 point range. But they are replacing 13 and 11 points from Gary and Kyle. I could see Cumberland and Broome combining to make up for the difference left behind by Evans. But those points could be less efficient than last year since defenses won't have to sag help much on our bigs.

Bottom line is we need some decent improvement from Scott and Brooks on the offensive side if we can hope to spread the floor a little. I would almost prefer going small so we don't clog the lane (with two offensively challenged bigs) so guys like Cumberland, Broome, and Williams can get in the lane a little. We are going to see some heavy perimeter D so we will have to drive the ball.

It will be interesting to see if we go small but initial signs are pointing to a traditional lineup with a focus on preventing any easy layups. If Scott and/or Brooks were an outside threat we could clear the lane of one of them from time to time...but they aren't. No defender has to follow them out to the arc. Diarra would help a little in that regard but who knows how much we will see of him. I would hope Fredericks could help as well in this regard but it sounds like he is more of a 2/3 than a 3/4.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #53
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I could see each of those guys in the 8 point range. But they are replacing 13 and 11 points from Gary and Kyle. I could see Cumberland and Broome combining to make up for the difference left behind by Evans. But those points could be less efficient than last year since defenses won't have to sag help much on our bigs.

Bottom line is we need some decent improvement from Scott and Brooks on the offensive side if we can hope to spread the floor a little. I would almost prefer going small so we don't clog the lane (with two offensively challenged bigs) so guys like Cumberland, Broome, and Williams can get in the lane a little. We are going to see some heavy perimeter D so we will have to drive the ball.

It will be interesting to see if we go small but initial signs are pointing to a traditional lineup with a focus on preventing any easy layups. If Scott and/or Brooks were an outside threat we could clear the lane of one of them from time to time...but they aren't. No defender has to follow them out to the arc. Diarra would help a little in that regard but who knows how much we will see of him. I would hope Fredericks could help as well in this regard but it sounds like he is more of a 2/3 than a 3/4.
I'd like to see Fredericks take on a Jarrey Foster role for us where he plays like a wing on offense but can defend/rebound adequately as a 4 on defense. They both seem to be built from a similar mold.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #54
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

Fredericks for 100% more of a 3/4 than a 2/3... He is an elite rebounder for his size and is tough and physical. He will play the 3 and small ball 4. Mick just talked about his positional versatility being a big deal for next season.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #55
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
I don't know. I mean we have had back to back unbelievable seasons with great teams. This year won't be like that but there's still some talent and scorers.

This probably isn't the right thread, but where does everyone think this team will stack up. Top 3 Cronin teams are obviously the sweet 16 year and the 2016-2017 2017-2018 teams, but where would this upcoming year be? Obviously time will tell but lets not act like we are going to be awful.
Last season was the bearcats best season by far under Cronin IMO. We won the conference, won the Conference tourney and had a 2 seed. Losing a single game in the tourney does not taint that entire seasons goodness.

And I think This year's UC team will be better than most people think. We have absolutely elite length & athleticism in our front court. Like as good as Gary clark was on defense, a lot of it was because of good fundamentals and good basketball IQ. Next year has 4 bigs who all can touch 12 feet or higher, all have 35+ inch verticals, and are extremely long. Diarra for Example has 38.5" verticial and a 7'4 wingspan to go with his 6'9 frame. IF we add some patented Cronin defensive fundamentals to their all ready gifted athleticism, then we have a chance to be every bit of good defensively as we were last year if not better.

Every returning player on this season grades out extremely well on the defensive end on synergy. And All of our bigs are pretty agile and mobile for their size. I think Tre is going to be able to hit mid range jump shots and Diarra is going to be able to stretch it out to the 3 point line.

As for the guards and wings, Fredericks will allow us to play small ball with him at the 4 and Tre Scott at the 5 and be completely switchable defensively and not loose anything on the rebounding side as Cumberland, Williams, Fredericks and Scott all rebound well.

But there is no doubt about it, our scoring is going to have to come from our guards. Cumberland and Cane need to take 30 shots a game, Keith will need be aggressive and get to the rim ( and hopefully improves his shooting so it opens the lane back up for him). Trevor, IMO, will end up being one of the best shooters in the Cronin era, just a matter of when. I think Logan Johnson will contribute this season, much more than people expect too.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:26 AM   #56
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Fredericks for 100% more of a 3/4 than a 2/3... He is an elite rebounder for his size and is tough and physical. He will play the 3 and small ball 4. Mick just talked about his positional versatility being a big deal for next season.
That is what I was thinking when we brought him in. A 3/4 guy who will help us in small ball lineups. Someone said the other day he was more of a 2/3 but for this team I think he makes more sense as a 3/4. The question is how will he do if he has to guard a bigger guy in the paint. He sounds physical so I would assume he can do okay there. Sounds like rebounding is not a problem for him. I think Cumberland can help with keeping a bigger guy from backing him down in the paint when we run small as well. It's hard to push him around. I think we can run Fredericks with Cumberland along with 2 other guards and still not get abused down low. Diarra can also help us when we want to play 4 out. We will have to see how far he has come in the off season. On D he still gives us some elite shot blocking ability.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:16 AM   #57
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Anybody have a guess/clue when the schedule will be released?
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #58
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
Anybody have a guess/clue when the schedule will be released?
I think it’s finalized already. Just a matter of when it’s released.

You can get the complete details on chads site tho if you don’t want to wait
Old 08-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #59
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Should we start a new thread and just call it the 2018-2019 season?

So what's next now that the Canada tour is complete? I guess we are waiting for our schedule to officially be released and any updates in recruiting are nice but when's official practice start? I'm glad the Canada tour is over and done with as we are checking things off the list to bring us to the start of the regular season.

IMO the Canada tour should be looked at as no more than glorified summer practices that can only benefit the players. I know Cronin mentioned he looks forward to giving the guys a break when they get back, but where does it go from here as far as workouts and practices? Are they still allowed an hour a day?

Last edited by GarradJ21; 08-08-2018 at 11:06 AM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:08 AM   #60
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Should we start a new thread and just call it the 2018-2019 season?

So what's next now that the Canada tour is complete? I guess we are waiting for our schedule to officially be released and any updates in recruiting are nice but when's official practice start? I'm glad the Canada tour is over and done with as we are checking things off the list to bring us to the start of the regular season.

IMO the Canada tour should be looked at as no more than glorified summer practices that can only benefit the players. I know Cronin mentioned he looks forward to giving the guys a break when they get back, but where does it go from here as far as workouts and practices? Are they still allowed an hour a day?

October officially is the start of basketball season but yea, I *think* they can continue summer workouts when the Guys get Back from a week with their fam.

Cronin felt like he had to give them a break because he got the 10 extra practices plus got the normal 8 hours of work out (4 with cosch, 4 with strength cosch ) per week. I believe the 10 allowed extra practices are allowed to be 3 hours each (but not sure)

I think the guys are pretty well exhausted this summer. And a break will be good for them.

Actually I think they can go beyond the 8 hours of summer time practice when school starts up.

Last edited by justinhub2003; 08-08-2018 at 11:13 AM.