Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #21
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
KJ probably should start this game
Sure fire way to kill any confidence Cobb has left.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #22
Nayers

Nayers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's a tough one, kjs d could help set a precedent early on but if Cobb can get going early that could also do wonders. Other than butler, Cobb typically came up big in big games.

I hate to say it but offiating will play a huge roll in this game. Given the infamous fight, I have a feeling it'll be tight, which doesn't favor UC.
Nayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #23
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't know if he will start but he will likely get 25 minutes plus because we will need his d. We will need Cobb to drop some big buckets. If Evans is hurting...KJ could pick up minutes there too
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #24
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
Still no update on Evans? I haven't heard/ seen anything.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #25
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't expect Mick to tip his hand about Evans until he absolutely has to.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:47 AM   #26
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Abell will probably be the one guy that hits like 6 three's since he hasn't really done anything this year (that's how it goes right?) BUT...I'm thinking we actually show the grit and toughness that Mick has been talking about. UC by 12
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #27
ucswais

ucswais is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
If we go straight man how do we guard the 1 big man lineup? Who guards Bluiett? I'm not sure Clark can guard him on the perimeter, so then it's shaq. Then who does Clark guard? He's not gonna guard a 6'4 guard.

Xavier plays 4 "small" guys plus a Reynolds or Farr. I'm not sure how we match up with that man to man unless Clark sits and Shaq plays the 4, but then we can't take one of our best all around players off the court.

Reynolds and Farr have only played together 3.5% of the time the last 5 games, so xavier is gonna have 4 guys under 6'7 on the court at all times.
Assuming X plays small, 80-90% matchup zone with Clark in the corner. I think that's a bigger problem for them in this case than for us. Clark is not an easy guy to defend with an undersized player, and that's not even getting into his rebounding. We'll be fine in the half-court on both ends.

Now, transition game they're lethal... do you call off the press entirely against these guys?
ucswais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:15 AM   #28
Ryno99
Elite Member

Ryno99 is on a distinguished road
If they play small, we have to force the ball into Gary and he has to look to get to the rim and finish on almost every possession. If they double him find the open man for an open shot. Or if you're at the rim and they double you with 2 small guys finish over both of them.
Ryno99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #29
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno99 View Post
If they play small, we have to force the ball into Gary and he has to look to get to the rim and finish on almost every possession. If they double him find the open man for an open shot. Or if you're at the rim and they double you with 2 small guys finish over both of them.
This game is pretty simple. If we don't make shots, we won't win. If our guards continue in the shooting funk they are currently in, we don't have a chance. We're launching a lot of 3s and we're not making very many. If we continue missing those, we don't have a chance. If we can hold them somewhere in the 70s, then we have a chance to outscore them in a shootout. If we can't keep Morgan St. under 66, then it will take a herculean effort to keep X low enough to defeat them....if....we continue missing shots.

Most of the guys playing defense are the same guys who were part of one of the best defenses in the nation last year. I doubt the loss of Jermaine Sanders devastated our defense. We just have to man up and play at the same intensity we did last year. We know it's there. Just do it. We've had a number of dream teams that were somewhat humiliated by X upsetting them. This may be the ultimate X team of all time (in their fan's eyes), and it sure would be sweet if we could beat them on their home court. We were always able to recover pretty quickly from X defeats. Their fans will never recover from this loss. That would be extremely sweet if it happens.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #30
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
There may be a few games where we purposely slow the game down this year and I am guessing this is one of them. I don't think we are going to try to run and gun them on their home court.

If we play with intensity on D, play with poise, slow the game and make a moderate amount of shots we can beat them.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote