Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: How far will UC make it in the NCAA Tournament?
Lose in the 1st round 7 12.07%
2nd round 11 18.97%
Sweet 16 20 34.48%
Elite 8 18 31.03%
Final 4 1 1.72%
National Championship Game 0 0%
National Champions 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #11
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
In terms of most of our NCAA recent appearances my analogy would be the term in a poker tournament "chip and a chair". That essentially means if you have 1 chip left and a chair at the table...you can win the tournament no matter how low your chances are. I like having at least one chip at the table.

This year I feel like we have at least a small stack of chips to play with as opposed to other years. Our sweet 16 team had a small stack of chips but the rest of our years were like having a "chip and a chair". Maybe we have a medium stack this year but I wouldn't call us "big stack". Biggest stack doesn't mean you will win either.

We have reason to have higher hopes this year is all I am saying. Next year we may be playing with an even bigger stack.
A very good analogy. I like this years team as well. I would have liked to have had Gaary Clark healthy last year for the A St. Joe's game. Would have liked to see how we would have fared against Oregon.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #12
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HExus View Post
I agree. I'll be disappointed when they lose too. But just stepping back and trying not to base anything on my personal hopes and desires.

Realistically this is a team that should find a place in the sweet 16, but you can't really be upset with a loss after that.

I'll be upset when the reds are out of contention by june too, but ill still be hoping.
Realistically, if they don't win the conference tournament, they'll be a #5 seed and only be (likely) favored in the 1st game. They'll play a #4 in 2nd game, possibly WVU? hopefully they can make it to 2nd weekend
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #13
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
Realistically, if they don't win the conference tournament, they'll be a #5 seed and only be (likely) favored in the 1st game. They'll play a #4 in 2nd game, possibly WVU? hopefully they can make it to 2nd weekend
Realistically, no one knows. Who knows what we will be or who we would play in the second round.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #14
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
I hear everyone about the tournament not being the only thing that makes a season successful....but it's a pretty big deal. It's why you play the season. So, while the season has been extremely enjoyable and the home winning streak is terrific, I still think this team has some work to do for the season as a whole to be considered a success.

This team failed to win the conference regular season...that would have made the season a success in my opinion.

This team can still win the conference tournament...that alone doesn't make the season a success but along with the home winning streak, finishing #2, beating Eggs, beating Iowa State on the road, etc it would make this season a success.

If they can't win the conference tournament, then they have to make the Sweet 16 for this season to be a success. Anything less, while a fun season, would be a disappointment in my opinion. And I do think a successful season is different than a fun season.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #15
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Realistically, no one knows. Who knows what we will be or who we would play in the second round.
Yeah bracketology isnt going to correctly tell you who we will play in the 2nd round. Especially the bracketology before conference tournaments.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #16
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
I hear everyone about the tournament not being the only thing that makes a season successful....but it's a pretty big deal. It's why you play the season. So, while the season has been extremely enjoyable and the home winning streak is terrific, I still think this team has some work to do for the season as a whole to be considered a success.

This team failed to win the conference regular season...that would have made the season a success in my opinion.

This team can still win the conference tournament...that alone doesn't make the season a success but along with the home winning streak, finishing #2, beating Eggs, beating Iowa State on the road, etc it would make this season a success.

If they can't win the conference tournament, then they have to make the Sweet 16 for this season to be a success. Anything less, while a fun season, would be a disappointment in my opinion. And I do think a successful season is different than a fun season.
The tourney is a big deal but it's random. A bad shooting night, or a couple bad foul calls and you can be done.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #17
IABearcat

IABearcat is on a distinguished road
I know we all want sweet 16 or better, but to say sweet 16 is "realistic" is just not true.

UC has been hovering around 10-20 in the rankings and metrics all season. to make the sweet 16 UC is more than likely gonna have to beat a team that has been hovering around 10-20 in the rankings and metrics all year.

I will be disappointed if we don't make the sweet 16, but I won't be disappointed in the season as a whole (unless the team just doesn't show up in the round of 32 game).
IABearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #18
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IABearcat View Post
I know we all want sweet 16 or better, but to say sweet 16 is "realistic" is just not true.

UC has been hovering around 10-20 in the rankings and metrics all season. to make the sweet 16 UC is more than likely gonna have to beat a team that has been hovering around 10-20 in the rankings and metrics all year.

I will be disappointed if we don't make the sweet 16, but I won't be disappointed in the season as a whole (unless the team just doesn't show up in the round of 32 game).
Umm?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #19
IABearcat

IABearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Umm?
Ok maybe I went a little far, but basically its gonna be a 50/50 shot in the Round of 32 to get to the Sweet 16.
IABearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #20
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
We just need to take this one game at a time. I know it's fun to start talking about second round matchups, but I have been hearing some great things about UNCW, Mid Tenn. St and others that can be possible first round matchups. I have all the confidence in the world we can win a game like that just saying anything can happen. Baylor didn't think they would be losing to Yale last year. I know we all know this but just wanted to reiterate that.

Also a 4 or 5 seed allows for a possible second round match against a Cinderella team. How sweet would that be! Give us some Xavier luck!

I have also heard people saying 3-6 seed range is basically the same. I think 3 is a big difference. It allows you to stay away from the 1, but the 6 seed could get upsetted by a 11 seed. Obviously the better seed you are the less likely for an upset, but I have a feeling a 3 seed getting upset to a 14 seed is a huge drop off from a 4/13 or 5/12. Does anyone know?

Regardless, I think we are all on the same page no matter what we are going to be a 4 or a 5. Unless upsetted on Friday.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote